Terminalcoffee discussion

The Creative Corner > Have You Ever Thrown Pottery?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I don't mean breaking dishes against the wall. I mean creating them. It always looks so cool to me, someone slapping a lump of clay on a wheel, and just using their fingers and hands to shape it into a vessel. There's no place for a kiln in my house though. Plus I'm a spaz.

Is it easy? Expensive? Doesn't it take hours and hours in the kiln? It amazes me that something that takes so much effort to make is so affordable in the stores.

message 2: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Aynge, I'm too much of a klutz, but one of my dearest friends is a professional potter, who is artist in residence at the Arvada Center in Arvada, Colorado. Megan teaches pottery classes, so I know that you can learn the basics. She also has an etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/kogijiki

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments My sister does pottery. She takes advanced classes that are cheaper than buying clay and time with a kiln. She's really very good at it, but yes, it's very expensive.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've always wanted to try this.

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb I've always wanted to try it.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb Hey, I changed a word.

message 8: by Alecia (new)

Alecia (AriesFire19) | 1619 comments Me three!

message 9: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Jammies wrote: "Aynge, I'm too much of a klutz, but one of my dearest friends is a professional potter, who is artist in residence at the Arvada Center in Arvada, Colorado. Megan teaches pottery classes, so I kno..."

That's so cool! I wish I were so talented.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 22648 comments Mod
I haven't, but a friend of mine used to do a lot of pottery and has given me some nice pieces.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Yes I have, but I'm not very good at it.

I did a lot of pouring the liquid clay into molds and firing it when I was younger, and at least that's harder to screw up.

As an adult, I don't make anything from scratch anymore, but once a year or so I'll go down to one of those shops where you can paint your own pottery. That's a fun, relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) Yes.. when my son was a baby, I needed some 'me' time so I took him to the daycare a couple days a week and took a course. We had the kick wheels which I preferred over the electric wheels. I loved playing in the mud. I made several different kinds of pieces. One was a "booby cup" - it was a regular mug with boobs, a belly button, and a clitoris. When I threatened to make the male equivalent, my instructor said she wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. I never did make the male equivalent and the booby cup exploded in a raku fire.

I was enrolled to take pottery at the local college when we moved up here. I tried taking it up again several years later but it wasn't the same.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "I've always wanted to try this."

I have tried but I really can't imagine you behind a potters wheel.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm imagining Larry like Demi Moore in Ghost, with Patrick Swayze's ghost nuzzling him from behind.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh he would like that. Now I can picture it. :)

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Demi Moore's ghost, maybe.

message 17: by Alecia (last edited Mar 15, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

Alecia (AriesFire19) | 1619 comments I'm picturing it too...not liking it either.

*breaks out a can of ghost-be-gone and liberally mists pesky pervert ghost...::POOF:: problem solved, Larry*

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) *shivers*

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6868 comments My husband and brother in law are building an outdoor pottery studio (former chicken house) on brother in law's acreage. It's going to be cool. They've gotten up to the drywall stage--think they've been working on it for 5 years.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Five years, Cynthia? Sounds like one of my projects from the past.

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6868 comments Well, to his credit husband has to drive 3 hours east of home to help with the project (when I don't have pressing projects for him to complete at our house!) And bro-in-law works full time in nursing, so he just piddles around in the potting shed on weekends.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been tempted to throw pottery on many occasions. I always manage to restrain myself. The loss of the favourite cup isn't worth the few minutes of gratuitous relief felt from smashing it.

message 23: by Kenneth P. (new)

Kenneth P. (kennethP) My wife throws pottery (I hand-build). It's a tough craft to break into because it requires studio space, a wheel and kiln. You can take classes and I say, go for it. To become proficient on the wheel, however, requires a commitment. You need to throw 4 or 5 days a week to improve. You'll love it if you have the time and the patience. Please try it. You'll become addicted and make cool pots.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6868 comments Welcome to Terminal Coffee, Kenneth Two!

message 25: by Kenneth P. (last edited Jul 26, 2011 08:15AM) (new)

Kenneth P. (kennethP) Thank you Cynthia

message 26: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I miss pottery class. I never got to throw; I was a commuting student and couldn't put in the extra time outside of class to learn properly. I enjoyed hand building though. Most of my pieces are in storage or have been given away to friends. I know this thread is old hat now, but I've been thinking about getting back into my work a lot lately, and pottery was one of the things I really enjoyed.

message 27: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments My mother was actually a potter by trade for many years until I was born, and then even once she got a "real job", she continued it as a hobby and taught the ceramics classes at a summer camp for several years. Unfortunately, the couple times I tried my hand at the wheel, it turned out I didn't have her gift. My stuff wasn't awful-awful, but it's a LOT harder than it looks.

message 28: by Kenneth P. (new)

Kenneth P. (kennethP) Some of my wife's stuff--

http://savannahpottery.weebly.com/pot...

message 29: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I've always loved that blue-green glaze, I used it on several of my pieces, but now I'm going blank on it's name.

message 30: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) Kenneth P. wrote: "Some of my wife's stuff--

http://savannahpottery.weebly.com/pot..."

Beautiful! She's very talented.

message 31: by Koeeoaddi (new)

Koeeoaddi (Koee) Kenneth P. wrote: "Some of my wife's stuff--

http://savannahpottery.weebly.com/pot..."

Love, love, love image 9! I'm a teapot geek and that one is really beautiful.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That was my favorite too Ko. Great minds and all of that :-)

message 33: by Barb (new)

Barb Very nice work! I really like the white with blue/green glaze.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I like the avocado green glaze a lot.

message 35: by Kenneth P. (last edited Sep 09, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

Kenneth P. (kennethP) I'm Lee in this post, not Kenneth, and I thank you all for your kind words. This wasn't my idea.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6868 comments Welcome, Lee! Time to get your own profile and join us here!

message 37: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4013 comments My father-in-law is a potter he also teaches classes. (I love it when we visit him because we all get to play in the studio.) I think it's really expensive to do on your own because of all the equipment but classes don't look that expensive. His are $150 for 8 weeks and 25lbs of clay. That's no more expensive than a yoga class.

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments Alecia wrote: "Me three!"
It's not about talent but being damn stubborn! I always tell my students that ceramics is 95% science, 1% luck, 3% stubbornness and only 1% art.

Give it a try and play in the mud! :D

And thanks jammies <3

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 23, 2011 09:35PM) (new)

Yes, I did in college as I majored in Fine Art. I prefer to paint.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I have no idea what that means.

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments Depending on the program they may not let you do a pipe. lol

message 42: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11406 comments Savanna wrote: "If I ever have the chance to, I would make a full sized water pipe. I mean, what would I need a pot for?"

Well, you may need pot for your pipe, right? And it's always nice to have a pot to piss in.

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments *snickers*

message 44: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4029 comments Koji!

message 45: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) I've never done it, but it sounds like fun. Is it an expensive hobby?

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments Hi evie! :D

Amelia it isn't too expensive if you are taking a class but the kilns run 1k-15k plus so the cost of the classes are attempting to get the whole studio to run at breaking even. And if they aren't part of a larger complex like mine the electricity and gas use can be scary. For our new students it's about $90 for a five week class, $10 for 25 pounds of clay and $14.00 for a tool kit. There is a $30 glaze and firing fees rolled into the cost of the class so those are already paid for. If you take a class see if you can find one with a lot of open studio hours and make use of them.

message 47: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

$90 for a 5 week class doesn't sound bad at all. Does that mean 5 classes, plus any open studio hours you can finagle, for $90?

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments Yep...and we have lots of open studio hours to take advantage of which is rare in our area because other programs offer one three hour class a week and students have to sign up for no more than one hour of work time outside of class. We encourage our students to work as much as their schedule allows.

message 49: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) That sounds great! You wouldn't be in the Portland Metro area would you? :)

message 50: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Amelia, no, and she's not in the Akron area either, she's in Arvada, Colorado. :(

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread