Our History discussion

What plays were popular in during the regency?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) For fun, I'm writing a story involving the theater set during the regency and this would be helpful informatio nto know. Thanks!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 29 comments What country?

There are some good histories of the drama out there - it's been a while since I've read much in the period, though. (And my focus was really more the eighteenth century in America. For that: outside of Charleston - either banned or Shakespeare. In Charleston: The Orphan, by a country mile.)

message 3: by David (new)

David | 2 comments You may want to look at The London Stage, edited by Philip Highfill et al, though I think it only goes up to 1800. It lists the productions and actors for all of the London theaters. If there is a continuation, and I feel certain there must be, it will be right next to it on the shelf. You should be able to find a copy in any good research library.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 12 comments During the Regency what was very popular were pantomimes (pantos) with such clowns as Joseph Grimaldi. (Margaret Evans Porter actually wrote at least two Regency romances that feature actresses in pantos. Her research is quite good, accepting it is a novel, etc.)

the London Stage was continued by J. P. Wearing from 1900 onwards.

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 12 comments Gothic dramas were quite popular. See Paul Ranger's book “Terror and Pity Reign in Every Breast”: Gothic Drama in the London Patent
Theatres, 1750-1820

message 6: by Jenna (last edited Aug 21, 2008 08:16AM) (new)

Jenna | 12 comments Tony William's book The representation of London in Regency and Victorian drama (1821-1881) might also be a useful place to start.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 12 comments Penny Gay's Jane Austen and the Theatre might also be a useful resource.