Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Special Diets > Gluten Free Vegan Recipes

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Celiac Disease is a medical condition in which the absorptive surface of the small intestine is damaged by a substance called gluten. This results in an inability of the body to absorb nutrients:protein,fat,carbohydrate,vitamins & minerals; neccessary for good health. There are lots of "gluten free" cook books but not without meat/cheese/eggs. If anyone has recipes it would be helpful!

message 2: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1027 comments Mod
Sandi, I know of a website called http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-fr...

All of her recipes are gluten free and she has a label for her vegan recipes. Great photos too!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Thank you Lisa & Lee! You just made cooking much more exciting! :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Sandi wrote: "Thank you Lisa & Lee! You just made cooking much more exciting! :)"

Sandi, We'll eagerly await your opinions of any recipes you try.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Lisa wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Thank you Lisa & Lee! You just made cooking much more exciting! :)"

Sandi, We'll eagerly await your opinions of any recipes you try."

I will let you know..Im going to try the library for these as books are SO $$$ these days.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Sandi, Almost always, I borrow books from the library first and buy them only if I love them. I've bought a couple cookbooks I've regretted buying so I try not to repeat those mistakes.

message 8: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 14, 2011 08:26AM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Sandi--My thoughts are with you! I do not have celiac disease or anything so serious but I cannot tolerate a lot of gluten, either, and I agree it is very challenging as a vegan. I'm glad you started this thread and I will be checking out some of the books Lisa posted, that website from Lee.

Do you have access to Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook? They have a fabulous gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe that I just love.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Kathryn wrote: "Sandi--My thoughts are with you! I do not have celiac disease or anything so serious but I cannot tolerate a lot of gluten, either, and I agree it is very challenging as a vegan. I'm glad you sta..."

Ive got such a big list of books to check & see if they have at the library! thank you Kathryn another to add on! :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Selah wrote: "Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes
ANOTHER one!"

Is this book "gluten free" Selah? I tried to inlarge the cover but cant see that it says it is,and the reviews dont say anything..

message 12: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments from inside: Organized seasonally and featuring photography by Gentl & Hyers, the one hundred all - new vegan and gluten free recipes are the perfect compliment to any diet.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Selah wrote: "from inside: Organized seasonally and featuring photography by Gentl & Hyers, the one hundred all - new vegan and gluten free recipes are the perfect compliment to any diet."

Thanks!:)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Selah, Thanks! I've added Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes by Terry Walters to our group's bookshelves, including our vegan-gluten-free shelf.

message 15: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments my pleasure to add to the group. I hope our gluten free friends find it helpful

message 16: by Kathryn (last edited Apr 12, 2011 07:06PM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Here is a WONDERFUL gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's delicious and healthy! (Well, compared to other chocolate chip cookie recipes) It's made with oat flour.

;-)

Enjoy!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe...

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Kathryn, It might be my computer, but the link you posted in message 16 doesn't work for me. It takes forever to load and then I get an internal error code message. ??? Just fyi. Others?

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lisa wrote: "Kathryn, It might be my computer, but the link you posted in message 16 doesn't work for me. It takes forever to load and then I get an internal error code message. ??? Just fyi. Others?"

Oh, dear. It works fine on mine. I hope it will work for others. (I also post a link on my blog so maybe you can access it there.)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Kathryn wrote: "Oh, dear. It works fine on mine. I hope it will work for others. (I also post a link on my blog so maybe you can access it there.) "

I tried again and it works! Yum!!!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Hurray! I can't wait to try this gluten free recipe for chocolate chip cookies, esp as it comes so highly recommended by Kathryn.

Also I just ordered "The Gluten Free Vegan" for myself, as well as a friend in New Jersey, who I believe is trying to go gluten free.

Although I don't believe I have Celiac, it does feel healthier to eat gluten free ... especially avoiding refined flours ... so I am very excited about this.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymeb) | 62 comments I checked my Clean Food cookbook to see if it was gluten free too and it looks like it is almost gluten-free! I didn't even notice and I've had this book for over a year. I found a couple of recipes that call for seitan, but other than that I can't find anything with gluten. Even her desserts use rice flour and nuts for the crusts and toppings. Thanks for pointing that out Selah, it's nice to have a gluten free reference around!

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Rachel wrote: "Hurray! I can't wait to try this gluten free recipe for chocolate chip cookies, esp as it comes so highly recommended by Kathryn.

Also I just ordered "The Gluten Free Vegan" for myself, as well a..."

What did you think, Rachel? I hope you enjoyed the cookies.

And, how do you like The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat??? I'm finding that I really need to cut the wheat, especially, from my diet some days or I feel sluggish and headache-y. Maybe a new cookbook will inspire me!

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) We now have 22 gluten-free AND vegan cookbooks on our shelves:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

and I'm sure that there are more books out there, and certainly many recipes at blogs & on the web, and many gluten-free recipes in many other vegan cookbooks.

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lisa wrote: "We now have 22 gluten-free AND vegan cookbooks on our shelves:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

and I'm sure th..."

That is SO exciting! I'm glad that there is a growing number.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments My mom and sister made five of the recipes from the Gluten Free Vegan for our 4th of July cookout, and they were a BIG HIT with everybody, and most of the people at the cookout were omnivores.

The real stand-out hit was the potato salad that was made with yams / sweet potatoes instead of regular yellow / gold potatoes. People wanted copies of the recipe, so my sister just made copies from the book and handed them out to people.

It's funny that you mention this again ... I've been spending some time looking at that cookbook over the past couple days .... I really like it, I think this is one that I am going to read cover to cover. Sometimes I like to just read cookbooks and let the ingredients etc absorb into my brain ... then when I want to make my own improvisational dishes, I get the ideas from what I absorbed from reading the cookbooks.

Does that make any sense? I think the reason is ... when it comes down to it ... I like to cook, but I actually don't like following recipes. :) I like to feel like an artist with an empty canvas and a bunch of paints and paint-brushes, and just go wild!!! :)

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Rachel wrote: "Does that make any sense? I think the reason is ... when it comes down to it ... I like to cook, but I actually don't like following recipes. :) I like to feel like an artist with an empty canvas and a bunch of paints and paint-brushes, and just go wild!!! :) ..."

Yes, absolutely! ;-) I think when I have a little more experience with vegan cooking, I'll be much the same. I'm already modifying recipes when I know there is a spice mix or something I prefer. But, so far, I'm still absorbing all the ways to cook vegan so I am following recipes a bit more standard. Also, I was never an especially skilled cook before (never really enjoyed it) so it's good I learn the rules before I bend/break them ;-p I love how free you are with the recipes, though. And that the recipes from this book are such a hit. Thanks for posting back!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Rachel wrote: "I think the reason is ... when it comes down to it ... I like to cook, but I actually don't like following recipes. :) I like to feel like an artist with an empty canvas and a bunch of paints and paint-brushes, and just go wild!!! :) "

Rachel, I feel exactly the same way. I never exactly follow recipes. But I love reading cookbooks and getting ideas from them.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments A bit late but I have a recipe for gluten free, vegan gingerbread (for cookies or gingerbread house walls etc.). Not sure where you guys are all from but the measurements are in ounces not cups. If anyone is interested, let me know :)

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Thanks, Jo. Where is the recipe from? Or is it your original?

Most cookbooks now have conversion charts, and of course conversion charts can be easily found on the web too.

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I adapted it from one a friend gave me. It took a little tweaking but I enjoyed all the experiments :)

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Jo wrote: "I adapted it from one a friend gave me. It took a little tweaking but I enjoyed all the experiments :)"

Yes, the "play" of cooking is my favorite part of it, well, except for the eating. I do love gingerbread and just about anything with ginger in it.

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I love ginger too. I recently had a gluten free, vegan ginger frosted cupcake. It was really good!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Has anyone tried this book? The Gluten-Free Vegan 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat by Susan O'BrienThe Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat Just came out at my library that NEVER has gluten free vegan books..I have it on hold.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Has anyone tried this book?[bookcover:The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy Wheat or Meat]The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-With..."

Sandi, Have you read this book yet? I haven't seen it yet.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Hi Lisa, yes my library got it in for me and it is a really good book! Iv'e got it on hold again as I couldnt re-new at the time because there is still a waiting list for it!

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Thanks, Sandi. I hope you get to borrow it again soon.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments hi everybody. I am so happy to have found this group. such a treasure trove of information! I just wanted to add another bit of reading material to the gluten free vegan reading list.

my kitchen comrade and I are currently working on the fourth issue of our vegan, gluten free cookzine inspired by the seasons and by our lives as expats in a foreign land. all recipes are created, tasted, and photographed by us (pinch and dash) in our home kitchens in seoul... and are perfect for any whole foods kitchen around the globe. take a look andwe hope you'll enjoy!

www.thekitchensofpinchanddash.com
www.etsy.com/pinchanddash

take a peek at my blog for more vegetarian, gluten free recipes...
www.greenteaandkimchi.com

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Hi, Jessica. Welcome to the group, and thanks for those resources. Best wishes with your zine. Where are you living?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 53 comments Welcome Jessica. And thanks so much for sharing with us,Im always searching for something different for my gluten-free-vegan diet.

message 40: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Hi Jessica! Great sites and tasty looking food! I'm not gluten free as I have no issues with it (must have some Mediterranean blood in me) but it sure looks good and is a good resource from people whom want to eat well.

message 41: by Don (last edited Sep 08, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Don wrote: "Hi Jessica! Great sites and tasty looking food! I'm not gluten free as I have no issues with it (must have some Mediterranean blood in me) but it sure looks good and is a good resource from peopl..."

Perhaps I'm living in the land of denial and need to re-examine this. Twice after eating pure gluten in the form of seitan I've had some issues and am going try gluten free for a week or two. It's a bit overwhelming but this page will help. I have tons of whole wheat pasta, bread and stuff with gluten that I love so it will be an adjustment if I need to go gluten free.

Wish me luck!

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Don, Good luck! Maybe it's something about the the pure form of it in seitan and not gluten in other foods. At least you're well prepared to cook all sorts of dishes, including gluten free ones.

We just got an all gluten free market here, and it looks as though they have mail order too. I have no problems with gluten but I'll still make a trip there soon.

http://www.gfrgrocery.com/

message 43: by Don (last edited Sep 08, 2012 02:38PM) (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Thanks Lisa...I'm hoping it's not gluten. I've been eating gluten all my life, but I really need to trial and see. I think back on my diet of late and it's gluten morning noon and night and I've made several seitan dishes.

The trap of GF eating and a store like that is the junk food, so perhaps I'm glad there isn't one close by. LOL

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Don, I hope it's not gluten either. Some people with gluten sensitivities don't have to entirely eliminate it; they just can't eat huge amounts. One needs to experiment. I'm hoping it's not gluten at all though. I do know gluten free vegans so I know it can be done, but I would really miss gluten containing foods. Gluten free is the next huge thing. Lots of labels now (on non-junk foods!) say gluten free.

message 45: by Don (last edited Sep 08, 2012 08:04PM) (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Me too Lisa. I could live without seitan (which seemed to cause GI distress both times I ate it, but I can't be 100% sure), and but to give up gluten all together would be dreadful.

It's been suggested to me by a friend, that's a Nurse PhD and whose husband went GF to cure some issues with irritable bowel syndrome and lose weight that I try a 30 day trial. Is this what you guys have seen in your reading?

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Don, I've seen all sorts of suggestions. I know my friends who've done elimination diets when they suspect foods are a problem have given up those foods for 6 weeks and gradually reintroduced them. Since there can be multiple causes for digestive issues and and some foods can cause problems at times and not at other times (GERD and hiatal herna in my case) it's kind of a trial and error thing.

message 47: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Thanks Lisa, I was thinking of doing only a week or two, but thinking maybe a longer trial would be in order.

message 48: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Don wrote: "Thanks Lisa, I was thinking of doing only a week or two, but thinking maybe a longer trial would be in order."

You should also check different kinds of grains. I have heard that some who have gluten sensitivity, can actually handle grains such as spelt (of course, that would not be the case for extreme gluten sensitivity or celiac disease). Good luck!!

message 49: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Thanks Gundula, I didn't know that. I guess I have a lot to learn. I had "issues" when I ate pure gluten in the form of seitan but am hoping that at the end of the trial I can incorporate everything else and stay away from stronger gluten, or not eat too much and try other things. I have gluten products usually at every meal and sometimes quite a bit of it in fact.

message 50: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Don wrote: "Thanks Gundula, I didn't know that. I guess I have a lot to learn. I had "issues" when I ate pure gluten in the form of seitan but am hoping that at the end of the trial I can incorporate everyth..."

You could also ask a nutritionist (preferably a vegan or vegetarian one) which grains contain no gluten and which contain the least amount of gluten (that kind of information might also be available online)

« previous 1