John Grisham discussion

What John Grisham book are you reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 264 (264 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (lefty4) | 6 comments Mod
I am wondering what John Grisham book are you reading currently? I myself am not reading one at this time because I have read most of them.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I'm waiting on the paperback addition of The Appeal scheduled for release on Nov. 8th. I'm try-ing to read The Grapes of Wrath and it's work, I may give up and try a Sidney Sheldon I have on the shelf.

message 3: by Mona (new)

Mona | 2 comments I am not reading any Grisham's nowadays. Haven't bought myself a new Grisham's novel.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (ladrumm) I've read them all! Waiting for his new book to come out in January.

message 5: by Mitch (new)

Mitch | 2 comments I am about to finish The Chamber.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Radisavljevic (barbrad) | 4 comments Mel wrote: "I am wondering what John Grisham book are you reading currently? I myself am not reading one at this time because I have read most of them."

If I had replied yesterday, I would have said A Time to Kill, but I finished it today. I don't think I have any new ones in my possession to read.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm re-reading the Rainmaker. There are several I haven't read yet, but want to re-read a couple yet first...like the Street Lawyer. Just as with a good movie, you find "new things" during a second read.

message 8: by Dia (new)

Dia | 11 comments I just finished The Associate, his newest book. Didn't consider it a waste of time, but I long for the days of The Firm and The Pelican Brief.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Dia:
If you haven't read the Rainmaker give it a try-it's a good one. Or, have you read all of the books now including the Associate? I really like the Street Lawyer, too. I sure could do without the Painted House...I just didn't "get it" at all. Kept reading waiting for it to get good, but it never did. At least in my opinion. Did you like that one?

message 10: by Dia (new)

Dia | 11 comments Annette -
I have read all of his, after getting hooked with The Firm. I did like Rainmaker a lot. There really hasn't been anything I didn't like at ALL, but The Firm and The Pelican Brief are the only ones so far that I have deemed re-read-worthy *L* And I didn't "get" The Painted House either... and Playing for Pizza made me drool over the food. *L*

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Dia:
What in the world is Playing for Pizza about??? Sure doesn't sound like a John Grisham title!
I didn't read the Pelican Brief, but saw it on tv.
3-4 stars for the movie. Do you know any others made into a movie? A Time to Kill movie actually did the book incredible justice-very good, I thought.
Did you like the book the Brethren? I couldn't seem to get into it the first few chapters at all and didn't finish it...did I miss somehthing?

message 12: by Dia (new)

Dia | 11 comments Annette- I don't remember a great deal about the Brethren other than the general premise, but I did finish it. I don't remember hating it, but it doesn't stand out in my mind as a fave either. Sort of middle of the road. There have been several movies... I agree, A Time To Kill did follow the book pretty closely. So did Pelican Brief. I think it is worth the read. The others that I can remember are The Client with Susan Sarandon, The Chamber with Gene Hackman, Runaway Jury with John Cusack, Dustin Hoffman, and Gene Hackman, and Christmas With the Cranks (Skipping Christmas) with Jamie Lee Curtis and Tim Allen. I haven't seen that last one. Playing for Pizza was a departure as far as subject goes. It is about a football player who screws up in a key game, is cut, and pretty generally hated for his error. He goes to Italy to play "pro" ball there. Whenever they eat out they describe the food so impeccably, you want to be there. *L*

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw clips of Christmas witht the Cranks...yikes, this was John Grisham's writing??!! Considering Painted House, your description of Playing for Pizza, and the movie clips I saw of Christmas with the Cranks...I think he ought to stick to what he does best-the legal centered stories. Just my opinion. Annette

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Annette wrote: "I saw clips of Christmas witht the Cranks...yikes, this was John Grisham's writing??!! Considering Painted House, your description of Playing for Pizza, and the movie clips I saw of Christmas with..."

Skipping Christmas, the book behind Christmas with the Cranks, was horrid -- absolutely horrid. Nothing like anything else he wrote.

My theory is that Hollywood offered him a ton of money to write something, so much he couldn't refuse. The sudden twist at the end seemed too sudden -- unlike anything else he had written where everything seems to come together. It was almost like whoever commissioned the book slashed the original ending and wrote a new one!

As per the topic, I've read everything there is to read of Grisham!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started The Appeal...a bit disappointing starting out. I trust JG will pick up the pace & this won't just be another "bad water" Erin Brokovich type story. I loved that movie, but wasn't too thrilled to start reading the Appeal & it,too, is about dumping & toxic water. What did u think of The Innocent Man? Unfortunately true stories don't usually wrap up in a neat package at the end. It was as it promised-it ceryainly questions our beliefs that the justice system is always just.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Annette wrote: "I've started The Appeal...a bit disappointing starting out. I trust JG will pick up the pace & this won't just be another "bad water" Erin Brokovich type story. I loved that movie, but wasn't too..."

I thought The Appeal was one of his best... keep reading!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Jessica, I'll do just that!
Annette

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Jessica, maybe you have figured it out-
how to get to the status update contest stories people are writing? I'd like to get an idea of what to expect. Are you writing one?

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Keep reading the Appeal...The ending is worth it.

message 20: by Dia (new)

Dia | 11 comments What did u think of The Innocent Man?

I liked it, but I think part of that was because it took place here in Oklahoma so it was in a setting I could easily picture. A friend of mine was a reporter at that time and knew a lot of the "players" so I talked to her a lot while I was reading it, and she had a lot of behind the scenes info to share, which made for a more interesting read.

message 21: by Alice (new)

Alice (ahenry262) | 3 comments I've been away from his novels for a while, but my friend just lent me her copy of The Associate and I'm loving it! After that I'll pick up the Last Juror, Innocent Man, Painted House and make another attempt at Playing for Pizza.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I'm not a sports fan so I didn't read Playing for Pizza and The Bleachers.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Alice: You'll like the Last Juror!

message 24: by Alice (new)

Alice (ahenry262) | 3 comments Cool, now I gotta rush thru The Associate!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Both the Last Juror and The Associate were great reads.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about 1/3rd of the way into "The Appeal" now.
I thought it was just another toxic waste water story. Now I'm getting into the juicier stuff, an angle JG hasn't used before. I think this is going to be way up on my charts, too! (BTW, it sure is nice "talking" to people who love to read. I believe we are a dying breed!)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm 2/3 of the way thru the Appeal...it's getting to be quite a tabgle of "players." You all say it's good, good end, I'll keep going. Maybe not reading through it quick enough to keep track of all the characters. Anyone else get confused, too?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

unhappy with The Appeal
:-(

message 29: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (rymeng) | 10 comments I am also reading The Appeal. However I am not through the first 100 pages yet. I always give a book 100 pages. I hope that it turns out okay.

message 30: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (rymeng) | 10 comments Jessica wrote: "Annette wrote: "I saw clips of Christmas witht the Cranks...yikes, this was John Grisham's writing??!! Considering Painted House, your description of Playing for Pizza, and the movie clips I saw o..."

I really loves Skipping Christmas. It was a great story. As I read the story I could really relate with the charactors. It truely discribes all of the odd things that people do in the name of Christmas. So many of us go overboard and spend way to much money around this holiday and tend to forget the main reason for the holiday. I really enjoy alot of Grisham's writings that are off of the beaten path. It truly shows the talent of Mr. Grisham.

message 31: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (rymeng) | 10 comments Dia wrote: "Annette- I don't remember a great deal about the Brethren other than the general premise, but I did finish it. I don't remember hating it, but it doesn't stand out in my mind as a fave either. Sort..."

I totally disliked the premise of the Brethren. I didn't not finish the book and am not sure if I even got through the first 100 pages. However I could see where it was going and I did not like, nor did I apprishate the subject matter. I felt that the Brothern in Jail were going to black mail a young man, with a family, about being gay. I am sorry Mr. Grisham but that is just not something that I want to read about.

message 32: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (rymeng) | 10 comments Mitch wrote: "I am about to finish The Chamber.

"

Mitch: did you like the Chamber? I really could not stand it. It was a very hard read. Hard that there was no substance. I got about half way through and had to rent the movie. I laughfed the whole way through the movie because most of the action in the story was added after the book was written. It makes me believe that the screenwrites also felt that there was nothing in the book, so they had to add to the story.

message 33: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (rymeng) | 10 comments Alice wrote: "I've been away from his novels for a while, but my friend just lent me her copy of The Associate and I'm loving it! After that I'll pick up the Last Juror, Innocent Man, Painted House and make ano..."

I really loved Painted House. It was a great representation of the period and the time. It was like reading across five aprils, which is also a good book about the depression.

message 34: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (rymeng) | 10 comments Lisa wrote: "Both the Last Juror and The Associate were great reads."

I am trying to finish The Appeal so I can start the Associate.

message 35: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 3 comments I started the Street Lawyer today. I was addicted to JG a few years ago and then just got tired of him. I am really enjoying SL :-)

message 36: by Dna_body (new)

Dna_body (Edo_Saragih) | 5 comments In the middle of The Chamber right now.
Very entertaining.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't recall The Chamber, except the movie which I remember I didn't like so much. It's fun to watch the movies: A Time to Kill is the best movie of his novels and is a MUST SEE!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

The Appeal was great...his new The Associate...not so good in my opinion.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Opinions on "The Associate?"

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori (ladrumm) I am currently reading The Associate.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started the Associate, an interesting angle...

message 42: by Janecia (new)

Janecia (janeciab) | 2 comments I just finished The Associate today, it was good but didn't end right to me.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

It seems a little slow so far, but then I haven't had time to just sit down and read for hours! Otherwise, I am voracious with a good book!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Janecia wrote: "I just finished The Associate today, it was good but didn't end right to me."

No offense intended at all, but I wish you'd put a plot spoiler alert on this...now my expectations are low and picking it up only halfway through only to know the ending is probably weird or bad. I know you didn't give much info and meant no harm, but to hear a poor critique of the end is disappointing to read before I've ended the book. ...sorry-but like I said NO OFFENSE INTENDED AT ALL.

message 45: by Hergalee (new)

Hergalee (hergy2004) | 4 comments I just started reading "The Pelican Brief".

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished The Associate...the ending was forgettable. So, not one of his best.

message 47: by Hergalee (new)

Hergalee (hergy2004) | 4 comments Dna_body wrote: "In the middle of The Chamber right now.
Very entertaining.

"
I didn't read the Associate yet. How many of his books did you read?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

The Chamber was made into a movie as well a long time ago, so it would be on VHS. I don't recall the movie being as good as the book.

I'm waiting to read the Broker-one I think I haven't yet, hopefully! Have to finish a James Patterson first...it is going very slow...

message 49: by Hergalee (new)

Hergalee (hergy2004) | 4 comments I read the Broker. Loved it!

message 50: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Backman | 3 comments The ending of Associate was as though he was told he had a couple of days to meet a deadline, so it all wrapped up in a few pages of hurry. I love his books - have not missed a word - but this was so disappointing, I guess no one's perfect. I may not have been looking at it too objectively, though, because I really disliked the premise of the story in the first place - struggled with the story-line the entire book - almost put it down a dozen times - and I did not like the ending one bit. Not just the hurry-up of it, but the story-line of the ending, as well. But I'll buy and read his next book in a minute; he certainly hasn't lost me, but he came close. I honestly think I could do a better job at editing.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6