Dead Poets Society discussion

Dead Poet Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Kimley I'd love some specific recommendations for the many poets I haven't read yet.

For example, Tosh, what would be a good intro book of John Weiner's work.

Brian, what would be a good intro for Larkin?

I'll put in my two cents for those looking for an intro to Mallarme, I would recommend "Selected Poetry and Prose" edited by Mary Ann Caws. Amazon link for reference:
http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Poetry...

I really like Mary Ann Caws's critical writings and this book is a good intro to Mallarme including much of his more famous work and is dual language so if you had at least a year or two of high school French you can take a glance at the original. I'm a big fan of the dual language books for poetry!

message 2: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Kimley Cal, what is the Neruda anthology that you like? I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't read him. I'm far too french-centric. I definitely need to mix it up a bit.

message 3: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Tosh Any book that has the name "Mary Ann Caws" attached to it is worth picking up. Sort of the Susan Sontag of European poetry. She's an excellent critic and editor.

If I am buying a foriegn book of poetry and it's not bilingual, forget it. Richard Howard's translation of Flowers of Evil (Baudelaire) is two separate sections: first English and then in its original language (French). But like Cal I prefer the facing pages as well. It's fascinating to read the translation and then trying to suss out the original version.

Mallarme is important to see both the English and French together, because for his poetry the way it is layed out on the page is important.

Appolinaire is another poet, where it's important to see the lay out of the poem on its page.