The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > buying the dragonfly

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissaceo) | 11 comments I just finished rewatching the episode where they get the Dragonfly. I always wondered why they didn't just take over the Independce Inn. I am guessing that it would have cost too much but it was never addressed.

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I've never thought about that. Didn't it burn or something? And they were forced to find new jobs?

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan The Independence Inn DID burn down, but they were going to buy the Dragonfly anyways.

It has a lot to do with wanting to branch out on your own and "leave the nest" so to speak. I think the Independence Inn was like Lorelai's home, and she hit a certain point where she just needed to move on.

Or that's my take anyways.

message 4: by GraceAnne (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 31 comments I like the Dragonfly better. The Independence Inn was too fancy.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissaceo) | 11 comments The Independence Inn had a severe fire that cause substantial damage but it did not burn down completely. The damage was so extensive that Fran [or at least her son] determined it was too costly to fix which is why they needed to find new jobs. The show never mentioned what ended up happening to the property [who it was sold to or what became of the place].

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 50 comments Fran came into town prior to the fire to tell Lorelai that she was planning on selling to a hotel group, and she was thrilled to hear about L's plan to branch out with the Dragonfly, because she said she would have sold years ago but for not wanting to kick out her girls.

The fire only caused them to have no income while they finished up their plans with the Dragonfly.

message 7: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Mia (that doesn't sound right at the moment but it's all I came up with!) was the owner of the Independence Inn where Lorelai began working as a maid and which after Mia decided to "retire", Lorelai then managed before buying and refurbishing the property from Fran (actually from Fran's son after Fran's death)which became The Dragonfly.

message 8: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments I think someone floated the idea of buying the Independence but Lorelai said it would be too expensive. Either that or I dreamt that whole scene:)

message 9: by Danyiel (new)

Danyiel | 10 comments It was suggested that they buy the Independance inn, but Loreli said they couldn't afford it...this was before the fire...and after the fire they couldn't afford to bring it up to code, so they bought the Dragon Fly.

message 10: by Ck (new)

Ck | 3 comments Great episode
I love the Dragonfly!
:) would love to stay at a place like that.

I remember Lorelai telling Sookie that the I.Inn costs way more than their budget.