Book Excerpts discussion

Pascal's Life (excerpt)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by N.S. (last edited Mar 06, 2011 01:37AM) (new)

N.S. Ugezene (NSUgezene) | 4 comments Published by Ugez Novels
BCasper01@yahoo.com
Copyright © 2008, 2010 N.S. Ugezene
ISBN: 978-0-578-07708-6
http://stores.lulu.com/NSUgezene

“How was class?” Nadalina asked me as we sat on the couch.

“It was a drag. I'm starting to think it's not for me. I need to get into some other direction of pursuing my education. I am too nervous and stressed to be in that program.”

“Pascal, you don't just start something and not finish it--”

“If I know something isn't suiting me, I think it's best that I do something about it before my grades take a hit and my psyche gets a little damaged.”

“I don't think you should just give up on it.”
“You're not getting it babe. I am having a hard time. I need to get into something that I can concentrate without having to try so hard.”

“I get that but you still don't quit. I don't want to be with a quitter!”

“How would I be quitting if I stayed in school? I'm just switching direction! People do that!”

“That's how people end up staying in college for years. They keep changing their mind!”

“I'm not changing my mind! I am responding to the situation before shit hits the fan.”

“I hope that's what you're actually doing. It doesn't look that way to me.”

“How many times have you switched your major or your certification program?”

“I never have!”

That's not what her brother told me. According to him, it was about four times. I'm not going to even say anything. I'm just gonna' let a woman run her mouth as usual.

“You wanna' go out and eat or something?” I asked this to change the subject and to smooth the mood.

“There's macaroni here, remember?”

“That's not enough.”

“It's not enough because your greedy. There's other stuff to go with the macaroni.”

“I didn't know that, ya' see,” I replied in a voice Nas used on a track titled “Who Killed It?”
Nadalina laughed. “Why are you talking like that?”

“I don't know, ya' see.”

She laughed again.

“We can go somewhere to eat in the morning. When does Charleston come back anyway?”

“On Friday night.”

It was Wednesday.

“There's still a day, excuse me, a night ahead of us.”

Nadalina smiled slightly. “Let me rest a bit. We can go do something after I get some rest. K?”

“Ok. Not a problem. I hope that you like what I have planned.” I really didn't have my plan worked out in full yet.

“What do you have planned?”

“You'll see,” I said with a smirk.

As Nadalina slept, I played a couple games on my Playstation 2. I was waiting for Willis to decide to sell me his PS3. But now, I may have had to postpone buying it from him because I figured Nadalina would act funny if she knew that I got a PS3. That's just women. I really don't understand it. A woman will tell a man things about managing money but they don't want to be told to hold off on a dress or a purse. The only thing that seems to stop them from getting heels that match, is the fact that they have heels that match the outfit they're buying or none of the heels are to their liking.

Nadalina was awake by nine.

“Get enough sleep?”

“Yeah. I can get more later. So, what you have planned?”

“Don't worry. You'll see.”

The way she looked at me after I said that once more, indicated that she was trying to figure out what I had up my sleeve.

“You sure like to leave people in awe.”

“No. I just read that most women like to have to guess where a man is taking them.”

“It's good that you read but that's only true sometimes.”

“Well, what's true is true then. Right?”

“Maybe, maybe not.”

I looked at her and didn't say anything.

“I'm going to go get ready now.”

I nodded approval.

“Oh yeah, Charleston is going to be gone for an entire month. He's coming back Friday night and he's going to pack and leave Saturday night. He's going to be traveling with this group he's been working with.”

“Wow yo. That's what's up. I hope that goes well.”

I was happy for Charleston and I truly believed he was going to catch a break. For myself, I had to think about which option to take. Do I go with a talent that seems to fuel possibilities, that which writing did or do I go with an ability that can make me millions of dollars if I breakthrough significantly, that which would be music?

“How are you going to pay the rent?”

“He's leaving his portion of the rent.”

Hmm. Fair enough.

“Alright, well, I will be ready shortly.”

She looked as if she didn't feel like going but she was still going to go. I appreciated that. She could have complained about not wanting to go anywhere but she didn't. There's some women who will say they don't want to go anywhere just so they can control things. Something that small can be used to control a relationship. I never liked to be with that type of woman. That's actually more of a girl regardless of her age. A grown woman never seeks to control a relationship especially if she claims to love a man or be in love. The same goes for a man. How can you say you love a woman or be in love with a woman and try to control things? How can you love a person you try to make your puppet?

But going back to fame and thinking through what I should do, I even had to consider what Nadalina told me. Was she even going to be the woman I married though? The way things were going now I had no problems with her but women can start to act funny once you propose to them and some think they can do less and become more dependent on the man. Is there really a woman who just needs love? They want everything it seems.

We left her apartment at about 9 p.m. While we were leaving I noticed someone walking around that I hadn't seen there much. The problem was they were walking around a bit too much. I alerted Nadalina about what I noticed and she said that the guy was part of a neighborhood watch program. I was just wondering because he looked like he was looking for something or someone. And him being part of neighborhood watch, he has the opportunity to learn how the apartment complex is structured. So, you can't exactly trust someone part of neighborhood watch sometimes, either.

“I have a question,” I said before we reached the car.

“Go ahead. Ask.”

“Well, I am just thinking back to what you advised about the whole music versus writing thing. Do you really think I am better off writing as opposed to doing music?”

“Yes. I definitely think you 'd be better off as a writer. The whole rap thing doesn't fit you in my opinion.”

“I have been doing both since I was a little guy. When you're passionate about two things like that I guess you spend lots of time not knowing which to pick.”

“Some people may be able to be both. But I think you are better off focusing on one. I remember you saying that people around you were either wondering how you write so well or they have said that you write well but you need to develop more.”

“I never believed I needed to develop more though.”

“You can feel that you have mastered something but that doesn't mean that countless others do. You have something to prove to them. They have to have some faith in what you're writing. When they don't, they don't bother with it. You will be stuck not being able to get your passion widespread. And you have to think about bringing your craft to a whole otha' level. You have to be damn good at it.”

Wow. I think she's the one! I have never come across a woman like this in my life. The question is 'does she think I'm the one for her?'

“Want to go eat after a movie?”

“I'd like that,” she said while smirking.

Onward we go for dinner and a movie then.

I smiled and so did she. It was definitely a good look.

message 2: by N.S. (new)

N.S. Ugezene (NSUgezene) | 4 comments The discount code GIANT is available until Monday to purchase "Pascal's Life" at the link supplied at the top of this excerpt.