Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Aussi's 50

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Greetings from a slightly simple girl with a slightly simple goal: to read 50 books in a year.
Wish me luck (for I'll need it, dear reader, since I fear that I lack consistency when it comes to my personal endeavors), and I look forward to this lovely little challenge and the year ahead!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2011 09:37PM) (new)

1.) Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I finished the final installment of The Hunger Games earlier in the year, and I must say, I couldn't stop sobbing when I was finished.
It just left me empty.
I felt that in such a short span of time, I had grown to love these flawlessly flawed characters, some of whom will always been with me for the rest of my life. And then, it was done. Only three books and the story of Katniss Everdeen was over indefinitely.
To make things terribly short, this was such a bittersweet ending to such a series that I'll most likely never forgot.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

2.) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  by Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
I found this such an endearing book. I loved the main character, Christopher, and found him adorable. However, after a while, the style of writing began to bother me a bit here and there, even though I knew it was just for "effect". Overall, though, I found the plot enjoyable and the characters outstanding. Nice and quick read for a lazy weekend.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

3.) Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
To be honest, I read this in a hurry. So, I know that I was not able to comprehend everything bit of it. However, I was able to pick up on the overall gist of it.
I found the writing style intriguing. Everything Is Illuminated is definitely one of those books (for me) that is worth reading a second time.
The characters and loud and vibrant and practically spew the words "odd" all over the pages, but in a good way, of course.
Now, I don't know why, but I felt as though Froer dragged this story out longer than he needed to. The story has some loose ends here and there that need some tying together. All in all, the plot and its characters are lovely, but, I think in the end it fell just a bit short. As a reader, I felt disconnected. From what, I'm not sure.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

4.) Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
I shall make this utterly quick and painless, like pulling off a Band-Aid: I did not care for this book very much.
Reasons?
Well.
It was disgustingly predictable. A typical teen fiction: girl meets boy and boy meets girl story, except throw in some after-life subplot. Now you have Elsewhere.
First of all, the relationship between Liz and Owen just irked me to no end. I found it unrealistic and overwrought, as if the author thought that she couldn't produce a book without throwing in some fake teen romance. Please.
The first half of the book was actually very interesting for me, and I was fascinated with this world that the author had created. However, the other half of the book is lost in this fake, almost plastic-like romantic relationship between Liz and Owen.
All I can say is that I do not recommend this book anyone, unless they are looking for a super-quick and mindless read to fill their time.