Writing Readers discussion

Motivation to edit

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Akiva (new)

Akiva (apokalypsis) | 15 comments Mod
So I finished the first draft of my novel a month ago, and I am getting down to editing. I know a lot of what I need to do (fact check, tighten up some logic holes, revise for description and style, add a scene here or there), but it's so much harder to get motivated for editing than it was for making up new stuff. Have you found anything that helps you with staying motivated for editing and rewrites? (Do I need to fly out to where my story is set and spend some time on the ground?)

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 25 comments Hi, It's Tina here. I tried setting up my group but it doesn't recognize my email, yet they send me emails of updates. So, I don't know what I should do.

As far as re-writes, maybe you need to give yourself some space, like let it sit for a couple of weeks before tackling it again.

I hope members of shelfari can find their way here.

message 3: by Akiva (new)

I will post directions someday soon, link to this group, and provide instructions on how to export one's bookshelf and import it to GR.

message 4: by Akiva (last edited Mar 07, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

I think part of the problem is that when I was drafting, I always knew what to work on next. Now that I am in editing mode, I have a number of different things I know I need to work on, but I am also aware that I do not have to do them in any particular order. Today, I researched the typical time from arrest to sentencing of convicted serial killers. Tomorrow, I might polish some prose....

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 25 comments Wow. Are you working on a suspense?

message 6: by Akiva (new)

I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I can't really call it a suspense novel, a thriller, a crime novel, or a sci-fi novel, though it incorporates elements of all of those genres. It's really a coming-of-age story, with a young man's struggle against injustice that goes wrong in a terrible way. And yes, he is arrested and sentenced for murder.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 25 comments That's sounds cool.

message 8: by Akiva (new)

Thanks! I like it, at least. Hopefully others will someday.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 25 comments I've been trying to get on Shelfari for the last two days but keep getting a screen that they are having problems. Are you getting the same thing? Or is it just me?

Tina

message 10: by Akiva (new)

I haven't gotten that screen. I tried to access shelfari thru my iPad, and it sent me to an amazon login screen. But I was still signed in on my home computer, so I was able to get to shelfari there. It might be time for me to put in those instructions on how to move your library to goodreads.

message 11: by Roger (new)

Roger Lawrence | 3 comments Aric wrote: "So I finished the first draft of my novel a month ago, and I am getting down to editing. I know a lot of what I need to do (fact check, tighten up some logic holes, revise for description and style..."

Just leave it alone for a couple of weeks. In fact forget you ever wrote it. Then after a rest go back and you'll be amazed at the errors that just jump out at you. Do that for two or three edits and your work will soon become polished.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 25 comments I agree. Usually if you let it sit for a week or more, then go back to it, you tend to look at it with fresh eyes. You'll notice typos and all kinds of things you never saw before.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah May I live by Stephen Kings method and put it in a draw for 3 months and not look at it. Then I get it out and read it, and the things that need doing stand out more when I'm not as close to it as I was when just finishing.
Then I get a red pen, and mark what I want to do, all the way through, making notes of things to move around, add or subtract.

Getting some distance ( 3 monthss) makes the editing process seem easier.