Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

Let's Talk Nonfiction Books! > Which book really made an impact in your life?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Is there a book (within the Christian non-fiction genre of course) that really made an impact in your life?

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Barrett (booksandartpamela_barrett) | 7 comments Well, let's start with the Bible. It is the living word of God and the one book I read over and over again. Victory Over Darkness by Neil T. Anderson is another book that helped me in my early walk with the Lord. There are many more I could mention. blessings to you...

message 3: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Amen Pam, let's start with the Bible! You're so right, I forgot to mention that, thank you :)
I also forgot to mention one of the books that really impacted my life as a new believer: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. That was really an eye opener to me!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Schultz | 3 comments Yes, Bible number #1. And so many wonderful Christian authors and books. Frank Peretti, The Adversary, Bill Gothard's study volume, and many more. Adding them to my list in goodreads as they come to mind.

message 5: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments That's how I do it Carol, adding them to my list as they come to mind. I visited your weblog, you penned a non-fiction yourself :)

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Barrett (booksandartpamela_barrett) | 7 comments The Purpose Driven Life and Bill Gothards Institute of Basic Youth Conflicts are important for growth. thanks for mentioning them.

message 7: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Bill Gothard is a new name to me, so thanks for mentioning that, I'll check it out! A very small book that boosted my faith was The prayer of Jabez...

message 8: by Dennis (new)

Dennis (den1955) | 4 comments It's hard to focus on just one book.... The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey is one...Wild at Heart by John Eldridge also.

message 9: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments You're right Dennis, there are just too many good books! I read Wild at Heart too, just so as to learn more about the heart of a man. I think all women should read it, it is a great book, it changed my view of men in the church, really!

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Coleman | 8 comments The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
by Erwin Raphael McManus

This is a great book that describes a Christian life in the "real world" and not living your life inside a box or a set of rules that a church or organization has established. He describes a 'raw' type of Christianity and how Christ often hung with the outcasts and 'dirty' sinners. His book reminds me of the song "My Jesus" by Todd Agnew. Here's a few of his lines (I hope it's OK to do this...I'm new to this site):

"Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich
So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet"

message 11: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments I have heard of that book Jason, thanks for adding it to the group shelf. I will put it on my to read list! Of course it's OK to add quotes/lyrics... anything that inspires and builds up... right?!
I noticed you wrote an intersting book yourself, one that America needs very much!

message 12: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 4 comments Several powerful books from Henri Nouwen and Thomas Merton influenced my life.

Nouwen's Reaching Out and Wounded Healer like silent streams revealed the movement of the soul.

Merton's Solitude and New Seeds of Contemplation like lofty peak critically dissects the spirirual life.

message 13: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Leonard, thanks for adding your favorites! I am so ashamed to say I have never read anything by Nouwen (And come to think of it, He is Dutch, right?). I will add your recommendation to my list of to-read books, thanks!!

message 14: by Erik (new)

Erik | 1 comments I love Study Bibles where you can do the reading all between two covers instead of having books spread around for Bible study. I like the new Lutheran Study Bible, Reformation Study Bible, Geneva Study Bible, ESV Study Bible and John MacArthur Study Bible. You can see where all my hard earned money goes now!

message 15: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Haha, I hear you Erik! I do the same kind of thing... I'll buy a study bible, read through it from A-Z and then buy another translation and start all over again. Needless to say my favorite book is the Bible. Currently I am reading the (NIV) LIFE IN THE SPIRIT STUDY BIBLE.

message 16: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 4 comments Marja wrote: "Leonard, thanks for adding your favorites! I am so ashamed to say I have never read anything by Nouwen (And come to think of it, He is Dutch, right?). I will add your recommendation to my list of t..."

Nouwen is Dutch but immigrated to the US, I believe, in the 70's so his books are in English. He is able to synthesize psychology and spirituality to provide some great insights.

message 17: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments I've heard nothing but good reports about his books Leonard, and I read both languages :) I know the books are translated in Dutch as well.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 34 comments Just browsing these discussion topics and could not pass this post without putting in my two cents worth!! Even though the discussion ended in March!!

The book that continues to make an impact on my life is actually a devotional: "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. It is both comfort and enlightenment at the same time, and very rarely does it leave me empty.

In another discussion thread I mentioned Henri Nouwen, so Marja may think I am his PR Rep!! Of all his books, the one that had the strongest impact on me is "The Return of the Prodigal Son" - altered my perspective on that bible passage, and brought new insight to my faith journey. If anyone is interested, the Henri Nouwen official website is at http://www.henrinouwen.org/

Also, check out the website of an expert on Henri Nouwen: http://www.nouwenlegacy.com/

I am also a fan of Joseph Girzone, especially his book "Joshua". When my husband and I visit a bookstore, my husband continually seeks that book, and reads paragraphs he has read many, many times before!!

Hope you find some spiritual hope through these books.

Patricia

message 19: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Thanks Patricia for your input. A topic like this never really ends :) Haha, whether you are Nouwen's PR rep or not, some books just need to mentioned more than once. I have not read this book, so you're recommendation is valuable to me and hopefully to other group members as well. Does anyone else want to put in his/her cents worth when it comes to Henri Nouwen's book?The Return of the Prodigal Son

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Jason wrote: "The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
by Erwin Raphael McManus

This is a great book that describes a Christian life in the "real world" and not living your life inside a box or a se..."

Sounds like a good one, I will have to add to my list.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Dennis wrote: "It's hard to focus on just one book.... The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey is one...Wild at Heart by John Eldridge also."

I agree. ANYTHING by Yancey is fantastic. My favorite was the first I read...Soul Survivor

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Leonard wrote: "Several powerful books from Henri Nouwen and Thomas Merton influenced my life.

Nouwen's Reaching Out and Wounded Healer like silent streams revealed the movement of the soul.

Merton's Solit..."

I like Nouwen as well. Letters to Mark About Jesus was the first I read by him and really liked.

message 23: by Nicole (last edited Nov 12, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

Nicole | 30 comments One of the best books I have ever read is The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne. Incredible and inspiring! Jesus for President: Politics for Ordinary Radicalsby same author was also very good.

message 24: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments Nicole wrote: "One of the best books I have ever read is The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne. Incredible and inspiring! [book:Jesus for Pres..."

Now, that sounds good! I added Jesus for president to my to-read list. Thanks for recommending that Nicole.

message 25: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 8 comments I have several books that at different points have been life changing. Not dramatically so like a call to mission or something, but they all drew me closer to God, gave me different priorities or increased my love for Jesus.
Hinds feet in High places by Hannah Hurnard revealed in a lovely way the journy I'm on and how God needs my surrender
Listening to God by Joyce Hugget opened up a whole new spiritual world to me.
Prayer by Richard Foster, I love all books by Richard Foster but that was the most spiritually shaping one for me
God of Surprises by Gerard Hughes
The Eye of the Eagle by David Adam is a meditation on that beautiful hymn "be thou my vision" and set me off on a love of celtic Christianity.

Theres loads more but I guess these are the ones with the biggest impact on my life and I return to each one regularly. I also bore people with the desire for them to read them too lol

message 26: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Rosen (nikkirosen) | 1 comments I love memoirs..true stories that inspire and show hope. Recently finished Forgiving Dead Man Walking. Very powerful story.

message 27: by Regina (new)

Regina | 3 comments Marja wrote: "Is there a book (within the Christian non-fiction genre of course) that really made an impact in your life?"

Weird by Craig Groeshel (I think I spelled that right)

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 14 comments The first Christian Memoir I think I read was Sergei Kouradkov's (hope I spelled it right) The Persecutor. I am so burdened these days for the persecuted church. We subscribe to Voice of the Martyrs on Facebook and try to pray for these people.

message 29: by Regina (new)

Regina | 3 comments Mary wrote: "The first Christian Memoir I think I read was Sergei Kouradkov's (hope I spelled it right) The Persecutor. I am so burdened these days for the persecuted church. We subscribe to Voice of the Martyr..."

Great thought. Since we have it so easy most of the time, it's easy to forget that people are still persecuted and killed for their faith. Thanks for sharing.

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 34 comments Jeff wrote: "One of the books that I read years ago that really made an impact on me is "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer. It is really profound and needs to be meditated on and read slowly"

Hi, Jeff -
I have a friend who says that book turned her life around. She saw her faith, and God, in a whole new light.
It is definitely on my TBR list.

Patricia

message 31: by Ted (new)

Ted Adamson (tedw) | 9 comments Malachai Martins "Hostage to the Devil"

And Scott Pecks "People of the Lie"

message 32: by Y.I. (new)

Y.I. Lee (yilee) 'My Dear Child' by Colin Urquart. This book made a huge impression on my life. Would it sound weird if I said that God recommended it to me? Because He did.
Due to childhood I have[sorry, HAD]a negative father experience. This book helped me to understand that God is my true Abba, always was and always will be. It's a powerful book for those who have no real understanding of what it is to be brought up with a good and loving father.Sadly there are a lot of us around these days. Oh, and also loved 'Hinds Feet on High Places.'

message 33: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 439 comments That's a great recommendation Yvonne, a book that HELPED you to overcome... thanks.