Lamphere Honor Students discussion

Summer Reading Reviews > Their Eyes Were Watching God

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Pieper | 1 comments Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston, is mainly honored for Hurston’s unique use of language, especially her use of southern black dialect. Hurston also uses language as a source of identity and empowerment for the characters. Throughout the novel, Hurston uses interesting narration that helps to keep her readers interested. Hurston also builds up the characters individuality by using distinctive grammar, vocabulary, and tone. For example, instead of Hurston writing "that" she wrote "dat" or "what" was spelled "whut".
There were many different themes explored throughout the novel. One hat really stood out was love and relationships. Janie, one of the main characters, finds out what the meaning of independence really is after going through two difficult relationships. But Janie really feels secure when her third husband Tea Cake comes into the picture. Through her relationship with Tea Cake, Janie becomes secure in her independence. Even though Janie is alone in the end, she doesn’t feel alone because she knows that Tea Cake is always with her. One of the most major conflicts throughout Their Eyes Were Watching God is while Janie looks for spiritual fulfillment; she clashes with other things that different people force upon her. one literary technique that Zora Neale Hurston uses is foreshadowing. Like her dialogue, Hurston's presentation of foreshadowing and folklore display the black rural culture of her novel.
The theme of Their Eyes Were Watching God taught me to depend on only one person, myself. This is because people that you think are worth depending on might not be there for you in the end or could just be using you. For example, when Joe "Jody" Starks became mayor, he need a wife so he found Janie. I found this book to be worth reading because the deep and inspiring plot that Hurston created teaches many life lessons. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy books that make you really feel like you are there because of the details and the way it is written. Their Eyes Were Watching God is the most successful and convincing novel of black love. Just reading Their Eyes Were Watching God gives you a new perspective of what the southern black culture was basically all about.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Riley | 5 comments hey rebecca, this seems like a cool book to read. i think i would read it because you would get to learn about southern black culture:)