Christian Writing & Reading Community discussion

I'll get the ball rolling...

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.L. (last edited Mar 06, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

C.L. This is the first chapter from my first e-book "The Mystery of Hurtleberry House" which is available on amazon.com. Don't worry, it is a mystery, but the main character is a Christian and the ghost is a fake. This is the set-up for the story. I hope others will post their work as well and I look forward to reading all your stuff.

Chapter 1
It was said that Hurtleberry House was conceived as an act of spite and completed in one of petty revenge.
The builder, Walter Rockingham, was renowned as being the stingiest man in the entire county. For after a lifetime of accumulating a vast fortune in ranching, he seemed determined to spend as little of it as was decently possible.
His first wife, the gentle but meek Jenny, had been forced to merely endure his financial meanness until the day of her death. Thus ending an unremarkable and pitiful existence.
However, the second Mrs. Rockingham, a local beauty named Pamela, was of a different caliber altogether. She had been raised to take for granted the finer things in life, and assumed that her rich husband would continue the tradition. For his part, Walter had expected his new wife simply to accept her circumstances as Jenny had done.
Such opposing viewpoints were bound to result in conflict, and that assumption proved to be quite correct.
For mere months after their marriage, Pamela had demanded that Walter replace their modest home with the grandest house in the State of California. Walter, true to his character, was stubbornly defiant against that notion. Thus, a battle of wills ensued, with the victor being far from certain.
The old miser held out for some time, but at last to end his wife's constant carping he gave into her demands. Unfortunately, for Pamela, he did so on his own terms. As it turned out, those terms proved to be quite severe.
For instead of a dwelling of elegant refinement, Walter presented Poor Pamela, as she came to be known, with a monstrosity of vulgar excess and poor design he dubbed Hurtleberry House. Then, in what all agreed to be a final act of spite, he died, leaving his fortune in a complicated trust allowing his furious wife the funds to maintain, but not change, the architectural atrocity he had created.
Even worse, although Old Walter never actually lived in Hurtleberry House, most say that he took up residence there after his death and never left. Since that time, the ghost of Walter Rockingham has made life a misery for all who dared to live in Hurtleberry House. Even to this day…
"That's a dramatic delivery," a soft female voice interrupted the tale, "Maybe you should be in front of the camera instead of me."

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, C.L., for your post. Good luck with your book and career!