Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
So which team are you on?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

From our discussion leader Sarah:

How do you compare Ash and Puck/Robbie? What do you think of guys who have secrets?

Sleepy Booknerd Erm...not really either actually :( I like Puck being her friend, but I just don't see them working. Especially since Meghan seems to have a short temper with him in the beginning of the book (was anyone else angry when she didn't believe him about the popular boy pranking her?)

And from the way the books written it seems like he'll be friend zoned anyways...Gah! Can I just vote for Meghan being alone?

Olivia (littledhampir25) | 7 comments In the first book I was all Puck but over the series i turned to Ash,

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I feel like I like Ash better than Puck, but I don't like Ash all that much either. He's supposed to be cold and send chills down your spine, but he seems kind of lukewarm to me. I agree with Lacy: Meghan should just go solo!

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

For those of you who have blogs... or book blogs here are some buttons to put on your sites:

http://thefaerycourt.blogspot.com/sea...

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. Both this book and City of Bones had love triangles where the long-time friend was overlooked for some dashing guy with an ego problem. I guess I'm just one of those people who believe that best friends make the best lovers.

message 8: by Alicia (last edited Mar 07, 2011 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alicia Rita wrote: "I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. Both this book and City of Bones had love triangles where the long-time friend was overlooked for s..."

Completely agree Rita. Puck is sweet, caring, and tries to make Meghan laugh. Ash is very aloof and it's like Meghan is a dog at the table begging for little scraps of affection from him. Why not go for the steady, dependable, unmoody, unangsty (yeah, made those last two words up) guy who will treat ya good every day, rather than the guy who only acts like he has feelings for you once in a rare while when he (gasp!) dares to let his emotions show. As for love triangles in YA, I actually have an entire shelf for them, called "overdone love triangle trope", where I currently have at least 20 YA books that all have basically the exact same guy-guy-girl love triangle with the loyal friend vs. the dangerous guy.

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I agree with Rita and Alicia - love triangles are becoming way too common. Whatever happened to strong, independent heroines?

message 10: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Alicia wrote: "...the exact same guy-guy-girl love triangle with the loyal friend vs. the dangerous guy."

Maybe some author should twist it up by making the loyal friend and the dangerous guy the same person.

message 11: by Sun (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sun (the one that glows in the dark, of course) (sun39) | 5 comments When I started reading the book, I was pretty sure Robbie would be the one she was destined to be with.Since I am talking about the part before Meghan knew he was Puck, I'm going to call him Robbie for now. It was fine, I thought, since Robbie was always there for her, watching out for her, looking out for her. Then, when they were in the bus on her birthday, heading home after school and Meghan saw the guy on the horse in the shadow of the tree, I knew at once, this guy is the one Julie Kagawa is going to pair her up with. And I was delighted when I read on.
But I still haven't decided which team I should pick for now.

Shanella If I had to pick a team, I'm "Team Ash". Only because we see more of him in the first book.

To be honest, I'm a over love triangles. I know that some folks explain it away as the person growing from and so their love interest changes, but there's hardly enough time to develop love between one couple in a novel, why push two? One always gets shorted.

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 18 comments Since Im only at the point of her officially meeting Ash, I can't really say if I would be on his team...However, I don't really see the Puck thing going any where. He seems friend zoned.

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think Puck will always be seen as a friend only!

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Rita wrote: "I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. ... I guess I'm just one of those people who believe that best friends make the best lovers. "

Did you notice that the book is published by Harlequin Teen? One of the 'trademarks' of Harlequin Romances is the love triangle. In other words, it just wouldn't be a book published by Harlequin if there wasn't a love triangle.

On the other hand, where would most romantic fiction be if there wasn't a love triangle - much of the tension between characters and character development comes from love triangles.

Sleepy Booknerd Grace wrote: "Rita wrote: "I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. ... I guess I'm ..."

So true Grace, but I'm really over the triangles as well. I understand it's what creates "tension" but when its obvious who she's going to end up with it gets annoying. Also, when I read this book I noticed the Harlequin Teen thing as well, and I was confused. I'd heard of the romance books, but I never knew they had a teen version :)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Lacy wrote: "I'm really over the triangles as well"

I'm wondering if it's the way the triangles are handled rather than the fact of a triangle that is so tiresome. I'm thinking back on some books I've read recently and many of them have triangles - although they're not always obvious. They get tiresome when they are obvious - as in this book - where the distant, aloof guy is the one who gets the girl. The build up for this follows the 'harlequin' formula.

How do I know so much about Harlequin romances? When our children were babies, my husband worked as a computer programmer at Harlequin and he was able to obtain a special edition series for his Mom. I read each volume which contained three novels as it passed through our home on its way to Mom. I discerned the pattern after the first few volumes but continued reading. 50 volumes (150 books) later, I was completely immune and never again read a Harlequin romance although I see similar patterns in other books.

Sleepy Booknerd Grace wrote: "Lacy wrote: "I'm really over the triangles as well"

I'm wondering if it's the way the triangles are handled rather than the fact of a triangle that is so tiresome. I'm thinking back on some books ..."

True, the way triangles are handled can be more annoying then the triangle itself. If the final pairing is extremely obvious then what is the fun in actually getting to the end? I kind of want to see a triange where I won't actually know who the characters are going to end up with, or better yet where none of the characters get together in the end.

Also, holy cow 150!? I would lose my mind after two!

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Lacy wrote: "Also, holy cow 150!? I would lose my mind after two!"

At the time I was so busy with three babies that I couldn't concentrate on anything more demanding than those books. The repetition of pattern helped in a sense - I could sit down and read and relax and let my mind rest while the babies slept. I could put a book down and pick up the thread of the story with minimal effort when I got back to it. I could even lose my place, skip a few pages and not miss anything important to the plot.

message 20: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments I've seen love triangles handles well. Hunger Games was fine. Honestly, with Hunger Games, I liked both guys, and I could see why it was hard for Katniss to choose. And I think it made sense considering the world that Katniss came from and her motivations.

Another love triangle that was handled well is in the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mercedes Thompson had to choose between two guys, but she dearly loved them both--one like a brother and the other as something more. But the one she loved like a brother was going through something, and she was afraid NOT to pick him for fear that he wouldn't be able to handle it. And the one she loved as something more was an Alpha werewolf who had the magical ability to command subservience, even when he didn't mean to, and that was something she wasn't willing to do. She wanted her freedom.

Books that I think handled it badly: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare and The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. It seemed like the triangle didn't really add to the story. It was there for the tension and nothing else.

Thing is, you can add tension with a fight or a separation. You don't have to have a love triangle.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Alicia wrote: "Rita wrote: "I liked Puck, so much so that I've become increasingly annoyed with love triangles. Both this book and City of Bones had love triangles where the long-time friend was ove..."

It's also an overdone movie theme. And the formula for romance novels that the publishers actually give authors and demand they comply with. hot cold, hot cold, like Ash, no visible reason or at least his given reason doesn't make as much sense.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Grace wrote: "Lacy wrote: "Also, holy cow 150!? I would lose my mind after two!"

At the time I was so busy with three babies that I couldn't concentrate on anything more demanding than those books. The repetiti..."

Grace: No question we read different kinds of books at different times in our lives. Sometimes you want that lovely sweetness of Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society story and sometimes you want the grit of The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

message 23: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't think about how many love triangles are out there. I mean, it can't be that common in real life right?

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments People often ignore a best friend because they don't think it's romantic enough, Not enough fireworkds, but then the friend turns out to be steadier and more selfless.

Sleepy Booknerd Sarah wrote: "Grace wrote: "Lacy wrote: "Also, holy cow 150!? I would lose my mind after two!"

At the time I was so busy with three babies that I couldn't concentrate on anything more demanding than those boo..."

Yeah, I've had times where it felt like reading certain books was too much, especially if I was under pressure or just really wanted to relax. Some I even had to put down even if I knew I was going to like them.

Also, Angie brings up a good point. Love triangles can't be that common in real life. It's interesting to think about how things are different in books compared to real life :)

Olivia (littledhampir25) | 7 comments in real life i'd always go for the close lovable best friend instead of sombody unreliable and who changes personalitys even if he thinks its for the best.

If the didn't explain it from book 1 and two Im all Puck but i've changed teams in the 3rd book

message 27: by Grace (last edited Mar 15, 2011 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "I didn't think about how many love triangles are out there. I mean, it can't be that common in real life right?"

I think it's more common than you might think - especially if you consider the broader meaning of love - caring for someone deeply but not necessarily in a romantic or sexual way.

If you ever find yourself choosing between one person and another for whatever reason - you're in a triangle.

In this book, Meghan cares for Puck because he's her best friend. I didn't see any hint that her feelings were more than friendship - even though this discussion seems to indicate that many readers felt there should be more. She's caught in a triangle though because the two men/boys she's with hate each other and she doesn't want to take sides.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Grace is right. People often overlook a friend when they're on the hunt for romance, but the friend is often the person who knows you best and wants the best for you, a good person to have a lifetime partner. Of course you have to get past that 'Hunk' mentality that relationships need to have constant and hot sex to be 'love.' Often romance comes when there is a strong basis for trust and admiration. I think Puck may earn the right to be more for Meaghan, a guess as I haven't read the sequels.

message 29: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Waters (baggins) | 18 comments Right now, I'm neither.

I'm definitely not Team Ash - one second he's threatening to kill her and the next he's providing comfort and then they're kissing? Where's the actual development? I'd be happy for her to choose him over Puck if there was more substance than 'he's so sexy and mysterious I can't help but be drawn to him!'

As for Puck, I do like him as the best friend, and obviously he likes her - but I don't know if I entirely trust him, and it's obvious he is going to remain 'just a friend' anyways. Which is a shame, I would have preferred to see him have more of a chance, especially considering he's always been there for her. But from the get go Meghan goes for the hot bad boy - I too was seriously frustrated with her treatment of Puck trying to get her to see reason about Scott at the beginning. He treats her like that in the tutoring session and she doesn't realise exactly what he's like? Come on!

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 18 comments I dont really see Puck as an object of her affection, and Ash annoys me. The romance aspect, even in a teen novel, seems very under done to me and there was no real development to it.

I do agree though that there is a triangle in that shes friends with Puck and thinks Ash is all that and a bag of chips for some reason.

I pick Puck because I think friends should be before random mysterious hot guys that want to kill you every other hour.

Becca Ohlman (becca_ohlman) | 5 comments I was really pulling for Puck in the beginning, but I feel like we didn't get to know him as much as we did Ash. He was always missing or sick or something. Rarely did Meghan have an actual conversation with him. So in Part 3 I turned to Team Ash. I know he's "cold" with an "ego problem" but really he's torn between this girl he's falling in love with and being loyal to his family, and his kingdom, which is all he's ever known. When he finally let's his guard down we finally see the real him, and how much he really cares for Meghan. But, I don't know... If we get to see more of Puck in the next books maybe I'll switch back. :)

message 32: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annabell123) | 45 comments I'm not sure that I am on anybody's team. I like Puck for having watched over and befriending Meghan for her whole life. He always takes care of her and puts her safety first. However, because of this, he is so much more best friend material.

Ash, on the other hand, I don't like because of the grudge he holds on Puck. And I don't like that he is so apt to fight Puck, although I think Puck is the same way and maybe it is just because they are boys! I do like Ash because of the deal he made with Meghan. He is willing to let her needs come before his own. He essentially is taking the chance of getting in some really big trouble himself so that she can have her brother. I think he knew that as soon as she goes to the queen, it would be harder to get away to go find her brother again.

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments A definite weakness in this series is the lack of clear motivation for the character's changes in loyalty. They waffle, but why? It makes it seem more like an author's manipulation than a story that makes sense. Not that characters can't change, they should, but it ought to be earned.

Ai Haibara (theendingiscoai) Mostly, I just hate Meghan but if I have to decide then it's definitely Team Puck, Ash is just too bland, cold without much character....

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm Puck all the way, because he doesn't treat her like crap the way Ash does. What is with women who fall for assholes and bypass the guy who'll actually treat you like the queen you are?!

Cheryl L | 14 comments Team Ash!!!!!!!!!

Veronica | 42 comments puck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 38: by Dana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana Wallace - Not Enough Books, Not Enough Time (danaaa_99) | 8 comments At first I was team Puck, then I was team Ash. So I flip flopped through the entire series but in then end, I was team Ash

Cheryl L | 14 comments TEAM ASH

Young Adult Book Reading Challenges

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Bones (other topics)