Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Non-Vegan Cookbooks > Vegetarian Cookbooks with Great Vegan Recipes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
If you want to tell us about a vegetarian cookbook with great vegan recipes, please post in this thread.

A cookbook that I recently aquired and that has hundreds of great looking vegan recipes is Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World.

message 2: by Ginny (new)

Ginny Messina | 33 comments My copy of The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New Yorkis literally falling apart--it's in about 7 or 8 pieces--because I have used it so much. It was my second vegetarian cookbook (Laurel's Kitchen: A Handbook for Vegetarian Cookery and Nutritionwas my first) and I have been cooking from it for some 25 years. I've veganized some of the recipes (I make the Mushroom Strudel every Thanksgiving) but it also has some already-vegan recipes.

With all of the wonderful vegan cookbooks available now, I don't know that I'd urge people to run out and buy this. I think for me, it has a lot of sentimental value. But it also has pretty great recipes!

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
I actually have The Moosewood Cookbook home from the library right now because I was participating in an online challenge related to this book. Our current group avatar (the soup) is actually the Gypsy Soup recipe from the book! I also made a veganized version of the Apricot Almond Bread which turned out pretty well. I probably won't buy a copy but it's an interesting book.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hester | 18 comments I love the Moosewood cookbook. I actually learned how to cook from it so it has a special place in my heart.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, and Bronwen Godfrey is an excellent guide to whole grain bread baking. As I mentioned in the baking topic, I'd been baking yeast bread since high school when I decided to attempt 100% whole grain breads, but my results were less than satisfactory until this book came out. It's a very thorough "how to" manual.

The second edition also includes a section on bread machines. I pulled it out yesterday and noticed that they even offer customized timings for my Zojirushi. I'll try those timings the next time I do my whole wehat bread and see what happens. Yesterday, I made a machine dark rye bread from the book. It's quite tasty, though it's more work than non-rye breads in that you don't just toss in the ingredients and let it go. Breads that incorporate quite a bit of rye flour do better, they say, when the wheat flour is given a head start. The wheat flour was mixed with half of the liquid first, then allowed to rest before starting the machine. The rye flour, salt, and seeds were added with the machine running, then the rest of the liquid went in followed by the yeast. That whole process, rest included, only took about a half an hour, then it was on its own for the last 3 hours.

The book has many vegan, wholegrain bread recipes and it has vegetarian recipes that are easily converted to vegan. It's greatest value, though, is as a manual to teach whole grain bread making.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oyster mushrooms actually taste like seafood to me, and I don't like them, but otherwise the dish looks delicious. The only Moosewood cookbook I have is the Sundays at the M... I like the low fat idea of this one. Don, What percentage of the recipes are vegan vs. vegetarian? I know they all could be veganized but I'm wondering how they're presented. Thanks.

message 7: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments I recently bought this cookbook which violates all my rules. I usually only buy vegan cookbooks and specifically want ones with beautiful photos of the dishes. However, I saw this really cheap at a thrift store and it had many recipes that looked good and, the recipes are my kind of food, healthy and low fat. The recipes are mostly vegan. This is my only non veg cookbook. I do have 2 vegetarian ones in addition but all my others are vegan.

message 8: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments PS thirty years ago when I was a lacto ovo vegetarian I used 2 cookbooks- Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen. When I went vegan I got rid of Moosewwod but kept Laurel's Kitchen because it was a gift from a deceased friend. The Laurel's Kitchen is one of the 2 vegetarian books I still have and the other is Diet for a Small Planet which was from when I first went vegetarian. At the time thinking I could combine plant foods to get complete protein gave me the confidence to go vegetarian. Now I know that isn't necessary. However, that book helped me go veg at the time!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I still own some non-vegan cookbooks but I haven't used any for years and would never buy one now. I rarely buy books at all so if I'm going to buy any more cookbooks they will be 100% vegan, and that's probably also true of any library books I borrow. But I have quite a few of my old vegetarian cookbooks, and I even have a few cookbooks that aren't vegetarian at all, including The Joy of Cooking. Those books are sometimes good for looking up cooking times for various ways of cooking various vegetables, etc.