Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Group Business > Member Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Mar 05, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Do you have any suggestions for this group? Please let Lee and I know by posting here.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Since you and Lee have done such a great job setting up the group, I can think of only one suggestion at the moment. Maybe we could have a thread or folder for nonvegetarian cookbooks from which we have veganized one or more recipes from. We could post the name of the original recipe and the book it came from and then post our veganized recipe, mentioning any helpful details about any particular ingredients that were tricky to veganize.

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
Lindsey, I see great minds think alike! We actually already have a couple of threads way down at the very bottom in the folder called Non-Vegan Cookbooks just for that purpose.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Mar 07, 2011 01:47PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lindsey, If you want, you can start a new thread about veganized recipes in each of the folders Lee mentioned. It's a great idea!

Edited to add: Such a great idea that I'm going to make a thread.

But, please everybody remember not to post any copyrighted recipes in this group. Thanks so much.

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I would love to have a list (which could be added to) of non-vegan ingredients and what to replace these ingredients with if trying to veganise a recipe etc.

message 6: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

That's a fantastic idea Gundula! Lisa and I will put something together as soon as we can.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula wrote: "I would love to have a list (which could be added to) of non-vegan ingredients and what to replace these ingredients with if trying to veganise a recipe etc."

Gundula, Many vegan websites have those resources.

My new favorite cookbook that has some useful lists of veganizing (and other substitution) ingredients is The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: 200 Foolproof Food Substitutions for Everything from Milk and Meat to Sugar and Soy-Includes Recipes by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman.

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I would love to have a list (which could be added to) of non-vegan ingredients and what to replace these ingredients with if trying to veganise a recipe etc."

Gundula, Many vegan w..."

Thanks, Lisa, I will add that book to Mount TBR.

message 9: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

It sounds like a very useful book to own!

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Mar 07, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula, At some point I, and other members, can also start posting in this group thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Some of these websites are animal rights sites, some are devoted to nutrition, some are vegan recipes only, and some do have lists of vegan foods to substitute for traditionally animal-based ingredients.

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica This group is going to be bad for my wallet. :-)

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Monica wrote: "This group is going to be bad for my wallet. :-)"

I know. At least the library has many vegan cookbooks. Monica, and I'm happy to lend you some of mine.

message 13: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 08, 2011 09:37AM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments I would love to see a thread about vegan food substitutes such as cheeses, "meats," etc. For example, there are several vegan cheeses on the market and they are not exactly cheap so I hesitate to take a chance on them without knowing ahead of time which is the best. Anyway, not sure if this is an appropriate suggestion since I know the basis of the group is cooking and I do usually try to do things from scratch but sometimes the substitutes are necessary (or, at least, seem so from my limited vegan cooking experience).

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Kathryn,

I think I'm going to put the chit chat thread in an off topic chat folder.

When that's done feel free to start a thread about this. Vegan food substitutes do have to do with cooking.

(If Lee has a better idea how to arrange things, we can move threads around, but a chat folder is something we've talked about.)

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Thanks, Lisa and Lee! I will start that thread :-)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Lisa..I have been "Celiac" since I was very young..hence a Vegetarian/Vegan diet has been the best thing for me..but it is a challange to find Vegan recipes that are for Celiac Disease as well.
Where could I start a thread for that?

message 17: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Sandi, if you want to start a thread about vegan recipes that are suitable for Celiac Disease you could do it in the Cooking Chat folder or Off Topic Chat folder. We can always move it around later or create a new section if we have lots of discussions on specialized diets.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi, Yes, you can. If you go to the "bookshelf" link from the group's home page, you'll see we also have a vegan-gluten-free shelf for vegan AND gluten free cookbooks.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Lisa wrote: "Sandi, Yes, you can. If you go to the "bookshelf" link from the group's home page, you'll see we also have a vegan-gluten-free shelf for vegan AND gluten free cookbooks."

This is great! Off to amazon I go!:)

message 20: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments How about a "favorite cooking gadget" thread? I'd offer up my TofuXpress for starters, and also I'm SO excited to have received my masala dabba (Indian spice box.)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments I think thats a great idea Selah! And what is this TofuXpress?

message 22: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments Sandi wrote: "I think thats a great idea Selah! And what is this TofuXpress?"
Visit TofuXpress.com
It's a nifty little gadget for pressing and marinating tofu. It's got a spring loaded gizmo that presses a block of tofu in a clear plastic box and there's a cover on the bottom that you pop on when you drain out the tofu water and add in the marinade. You can use it to store tofu as well.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Selah, Feel free to start that thread. I think it would fit well in the Cooking Chat folder. (I am mostly knocked off the Internet this week. I'll keep up as much as I can with this group, other groups I mod, and Goodreads in general, but if I get behind, please understand my unusual circumstances.)

message 24: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Selah, Feel free to start that thread. I think it would fit well in the Cooking Chat folder. (I am mostly knocked off the Internet this week. I'll keep up as much as I can with this group, other gr..."

I cannot believe your internet is still not working. Wow, what a colossal pain in the ... (mine has been slow this week, but at least it still works). I hope you managed to at least get some reading done (I really have not, just so out-of-it with everything that's been going on). :-)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Selah wrote: "Sandi wrote: "I think thats a great idea Selah! And what is this TofuXpress?"
Visit TofuXpress.com
It's a nifty little gadget for pressing and marinating tofu. It's got a spring loaded gizmo that p..."

Thank you Selah! I must have one! :)

message 26: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments SOOO much easier than trying to balance a can of beans on a plate in a bowl over a block of tofu. : )

message 27: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments OHOHOHOH!!! NEW product alert! Bee Free Honey ( I got it from Amazon) is vegan, made from apples, and actually just nearly made me cry. I haven't had honey since I went vegan in 2006. I just tasted this stuff for the first time and WOW! I'd forgotten honey, thinking no one would EVER get a substitute for that. Was I WRONG! Now back to my tea with Bee Free Honey and my book The Help

message 28: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Wow, I would love to try that Bee Free Honey! I miss my honey on toast like crazy. Thank you for letting us know about this product Selah!

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Yes, thank you, Selah. I've never been a huge honey fan. It was easy for me to give up when I started trying to go vegan, so I suspect I haven't had any since at least 1988 (though I didn't go fully vegan all the time without lapses until 1994) but I might try this honey substitute.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula wrote: "I cannot believe your internet is still not working. Wow, what a colossal pain in the ... "

Yes. It is. I've got so much stress right now, I haven't been able to read at all and am limited on how much Internet stuff I can do. So, I'll be behind for awhile and haphazardly reading some, but not all, posts.

message 31: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I cannot believe your internet is still not working. Wow, what a colossal pain in the ... "

Yes. It is. I've got so much stress right now, I haven't been able to read at all and am..."

I always notice that stress seems to know when you cannot stand anymore and cheerfully more is loaded onto you. I hope that next week will be better for you (and me for that matter); I remember you saying that while the week might be busy, many of the things you are going to be doing will be fun :-) (I hope that they will be fun and that you enjoy them)

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Gundula. I'm on at the moment - with no guarantees I'll stay on, and I can't even conceive of playing catch up until at least tomorrow. Guess this thread is getting too "general chit-chatty" though. Sorry, everybody.

message 33: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments How about some challenges? How about a "bean of the week" or "cookbook of the week" and anyone can jump in and let us know what bean and what recipe, or what recipes from the CBOTW they found worked out or were misses?

message 34: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments I completely forgot about the Global Waffle Party 2011!
http://waffleparty.com/vegan-waffle-p...

May we add events? How about VeganMoFo for starters? http://veganmofo.wordpress.com/

message 35: by Lisa (last edited Jun 09, 2011 09:36AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Selah, Re your posts 33 & 34, I personally am not wild about the ideas.

No, please don't add events to the group. We're just not that kind of group.

But, any member can add a thread. In the off topic chat folder, you can add a thread and anybody who'd want to participate in challenges within the threads' messages could do so.

But, Lee and I will have to talk.

Any other members, feel free to weigh in.

I do know of at least a few people who are participating less often in here because they feel the group is already so busy. Having official challenges, especially if they involved broadcast messages, might actively turn them off. Just a thought. Doesn't mean enough other members don't feel differently.

message 36: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Like Lisa, I don't want events for the group. Also, there are some members in this group who are not completely vegan (like me for instance) or just new to veganism and having official challenges etc. might feel a bit like an effort to change them or maybe even criticism of their own lifestyles and choices.

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula wrote: "having official challenges etc. might feel a bit like an effort to change them or maybe even criticism of their own lifestyles and choices"

Gundula, Very good point!

And I am a long time vegan and I wouldn't enjoy challenges. Of course, I don't enjoy any challenges: I don't do any book challenges, for instance.

message 38: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I have some thoughts and ideas. I'll be back shortly to share them. I have to deal with something here.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "I have some thoughts and ideas. I'll be back shortly to share them. I have to deal with something here."

Okay, Lee. Thanks.

message 40: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments Gee.... I sure didn't intend to start a problem. I'll be perfectly fine with no events. It was just a thought.

message 41: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Selah, it's not a problem at all, I promise. :-)

I am excited by your cooking enthusiasm because I am the same way. I think your ideas are great and I think there is a way to incorporate a personal cooking challenge if that's something you want to do. We obviously would love to have reviews, feedback and chat about all of our cookbooks.

One way this could be accomplished would be by starting a thread in the chat folder as Lisa mentioned above. Anyone who would like to join you for a weekly or monthly challenge focussed on a particular book or ingredient would be welcome to do so. You could then report your results for each cookbook in the appropriate thread. I think it would be wonderful to have more feedback for many of them.

Hang on, I have another suggestion but my daughter is screaming for my attention. Be right back again! Sorry!

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Selah, As Lee said, your ideas are welcomed, not causing a problem.

Lee, I like your idea of using challenges in threads (not events though) to do challenges in which members are interested, and then, yes, we don't have much discussion going in the individual cookbooks' threads, so any results/discussion there as a result of that would be fabulous.

As I think I said in my message 35, everybody please feel free to add all the threads you want, including if you want other members who have interest to join in with you in vegan cooking related mutual activities.

message 43: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments Cool, cause I just read a cookbook from cover to cover and I *AM* excited by it! It is The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipesand while it contains omni recipes, I intend to veganize them.

Also - beans without soaking! Whoo hoo!

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Selah, veganizing is always fun!

message 45: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Gosh darn it all, I need to get myself a slow cooker! It sounds so convenient for busy people to be able to throw in a bunch of stuff and have it be ready for dinner.

message 46: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments Lee wrote: "Gosh darn it all, I need to get myself a slow cooker! It sounds so convenient for busy people to be able to throw in a bunch of stuff and have it be ready for dinner."
The good news is they are really affordable. I have 3 (and I live alone!) I have a big guy, a little one and this really cool divided one that keeps 2 dips hot for party service.

message 47: by Steph (new)

Steph paquette (steffienol) | 1 comments i love my slow cooker get one for sure

message 48: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Maybe I'll get my husband one for Father's Day. Heehee, I do all the cooking but he reaps the rewards!

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "Maybe I'll get my husband one for Father's Day. Heehee, I do all the cooking but he reaps the rewards!"

Sounds fair to me. ;-)

message 50: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Maybe I'll get my husband one for Father's Day. Heehee, I do all the cooking but he reaps the rewards!"

You should also get him a recipe book, maybe he'll start cooking a bit :-)

« previous 1