Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > The Peaceful Palate by Jennifer Raymond

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) An oldie but still goodie is The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine by Jennifer Raymond.

I love it because the recipes are easy to make, the ingredients are easy to find, and everyone (vegans, vegetarians, omnivores) seem to enjoy the food.

message 2: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
I own a copy and haven't yet made a ton of recipes from this book yet but I do remember the Golden Broth recipe made with split peas is excellent AND simple.

message 3: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments I also love this book. The recipes are simple and they are healthy.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie wrote: "I also love this book. The recipes are simple and they are healthy."

Hi, Nettie. Thank you for joining!

I emailed you but I don't think you got it yet.

Here's the thread to ask about the cookbooks:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

And here's the introduction thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

if you want to post there.

I appreciate you joining. I know you don't spend much time on Goodreads/online.

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Ohh, I've been meaning to buy this book. I need to make sure it's on my wishlist.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments I LOVE this book! Lisa told me about it and my mom got it for me for Christmas. I've been having a great time with the recipes. Like Lisa said, the recipes are easy to make, the ingredients are ones that we usually have on hand or are easy to find at the regular grocery store (and not too expensive!) and they taste delicious! Some of my favorites are the Pasta with Peanut Sauce (perfect when I'm craving Thai food!), the Applesauce Cake (which can be made low-sugar and low-fat very easily and is thus a very healthy treat) and, for a splurge, the Chocolate Magic Cake (SO easy to make, you just mix all the ingredients right in the cake pan!) This book a real winner, especially for those like me who are new to vegan cooking and/or just not all that comfortable in the kitchen.

message 7: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Okay, I haven't pulled this book off the shelf in a while and last night my daughter requested oatmeal cookies. OMG, they were delicious! The only problem is that because they contain 1/4 cup of molasses, the flavour was too strong for her little palate and she didn't like them. My husband and I are now gobbling up these cookies like crazy.

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Okay, I haven't pulled this book off the shelf in a while and last night my daughter requested oatmeal cookies. OMG, they were delicious! The only problem is that because they contain 1/4 cup of ..."

What kind of molasses did you use? Maybe next time, you can use maple syrup instead (too bad Maggie did not like them, she must have been bummed).

message 9: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

That's a good idea. Or maybe I can just cut the amount in half because I like a little molasses flavour. It was just regular cooking molasses but it's quite dark.

message 10: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "That's a good idea. Or maybe I can just cut the amount in half because I like a little molasses flavour. It was just regular cooking molasses but it's quite dark."

I'm wondering wether you can get lighter molasses. I think you can get something called golden molasses that is not as dark and as intense as the regular stuff (but I'm not sure of that).

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) There are all kinds of molasses. The lighter they are, the milder the flavor. If dark, the kind in the cookies might be the stronger tasting type.

Poor Maggie. Well, next time.

At an American Vegan Society convention about a decade and a half ago, I experimented with several different kinds of molasses on my hot cereal at breakfasts. There were huge differences in taste. Now, I liked all of them, but I was an adult.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "There are all kinds of molasses. The lighter they are, the milder the flavor. If dark, the kind in the cookies might be the stronger tasting type.

Poor Maggie. Well, next time.

At an American Veg..."

I can understand Maggie finding dark molasses rather strong tasting. Like you, I like the strong flavour of molasses, but the really dark kind almost tastes a bit like dark rum (without the alcohol, but quite a strong flavour).

message 13: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Well, I'm definitely going to make these cookies again so I'll experiment with different amounts or a lighter type if I can find it.

message 14: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 10, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lee wrote: "Well, I'm definitely going to make these cookies again so I'll experiment with different amounts or a lighter type if I can find it."

I've made that recipe and loved it! I always at least half (and sometimes more) the sugar in my cookie recipes and I did that with the molasses (only using 1/8 cup) and it still had some of the flavor but not as strong; and, bonus, not as much sugar in your body ;-) Anyway, this is such a great cookbook. I love it! Glad you and your husband are enjoying these heavenly cookies!

message 15: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Oh that's great Kathryn! I was actually going to make them again today because I have a visitor so it's good to have the feedback.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this book, and I've given away at least a dozen copies as gifts over the years. I use Jennifer's cornbread recipe often. The red pepper sauce for pasta is one of Dave's favorites. The Chili Potato Soup and Golden Mushroom Soup are both wonderful. Other faves include Tempeh Sandwich, Aztec Salad, Pasta Salad, and Buckwheat Pasta with Seitan.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Mmmm. I made Golden Mushroom Soup last night and just had some leftovers for lunch. It's so good, and it's all mine! Dave doesn't eat mushrooms, so I don't make it very often. We had a ton of dal left over from the night before, and he loves it, so I took advantage of the situation to make something for me.

message 18: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I have that recipe bookmarked. Glad to hear it's yummy!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Peaceful Palate (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jennifer Raymond (other topics)