SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

March Discussions > The Lies of Locke Lamora - The Eldren and Eldrenglass

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Donna mentioned it first, but I thought I'd bring it up a second time. The Eldren. They and their glass towers and bridges are a constant throughout the novel. But, there's really no information on them. It intrigued me but I'm curious what everyone thought about them. Does their existence distract? Detract? It is a curious mystery that will hopefully be explained later?

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Jacen (new)

Jacen | 3 comments Being that this is a projected 7 book series I didn't expect everything answered or explained within the first novel so it didn't detract at all for me. I'd also say it didn't distract at all either, the mystery of their origin serves to make the world of Camor all the more interest I think. To try and explain them and give a focus to them would have detracted from the character driven nature of the story for me.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I hope there will be more detail, it's fascinating *if* there's a story behind it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "I wouldn't hold your breath for a 7 book series. Lynch is battling severe depression and that has severely limited his writing. His third book has yet again been delayed, and the prequel has never ben written (to my knowledge). "

I didn't know that. I hope he's going to be OK.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I loved that aspect--casually mentioned and never explained--very intriguing. It's obvious that this was meant to be a multiple book series but I hadn't even looked to see what else was available. There's something particularly intriguing to me about the Eldren; are they a vastly different alien race or an ancient race of humans? What happened to them? I'd love to have these questions answered.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Finished this last night. Went through the last 20-25% in a single session. Couldn't put it down.

Had a really fun time reading this, and I'd love to see more of the backstory/world. Anyone read the 2nd book? If so, how much more do we get to see?

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I haven't read the second one yet - saving it as a treat for myself when I finish my current work-in-progress :)