Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (last edited Mar 05, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
One of my favourite recipes from Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook is the Lemony Roasted Potatoes. They are easy to make, extremely lemony and yummy! The Tamarind Lentils are also excellent.

I would love to hear what other recipes our members have had success with from this book.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments My husband got me this for Christmas and I love it!

I adore the cauliflower and mushroom pot pie, but did not make the crust. It's so delicious as a side-dish; we make it often.

I also love the gluten-free oat chocolate chip cookies. They are super delicious and so far the best gluten-free vegan baked dessert I've found.

message 3: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 11, 2011 02:26PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments With all the new cookbooks that have come out recently, I've really neglected this one. This thread inspires me to jump back into it! It will even fit with my current eating plan since all the low-fat recipes are marked with a special symbol.

Off the top of my head...the cashew ricotta is amazing!! The tofu ricotta is pretty good too! The lasagna and moussaka (I think that's what it is; it's some dish with potato and eggplant layers). And I love the tzatziki. I remember those roasted potatoes, Lee, and they were excellent! Mmm, and now I am craving Greek food.

message 4: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I think I need to spend more time exploring this one too. I remember making a really delicious cake, I believe it's called Lemon-Coconut Bundt Cake. I like finding good dessert recipes that aren't all about chocolate.

message 5: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 11, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments That sounds really good! I think I made only one dessert from there, and I think it was some chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips and dried cherries. They were pretty delicious. Isa always has really good sweets recipes. I would love to make all the recipes in that section.

message 6: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I would love to make more of them too but I think I'll be saving the sweets for special occasions for a while.

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments That's a good plan :) They are off limits for me too for quite a while.

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lee wrote: "I like finding good dessert recipes that aren't all about chocolate."

Oooh, do keep me posted! I actually don't really like chocolate all that much (*shock!*) and like to find recipes that feature other flavors.

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Mar 15, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Kathryn wrote: "Lee wrote: "Oooh, do keep me posted! I actually don't really like chocolate all that much (*shock!*)"

Duly shocked! ;-) I love chocolate, but over the years I've had many amazing vegan desserts that contained no chocolate at all. I've had at least a dozen versions of pumpkin pie, for instance.

(sorry, off topic - just noticed the thread I'm in)

Surrender Dorothy I had to return this book to the library so I didn't get to make many recipes, but I did make the Jelly Donuts Cupcakes which were quite disgusting. However, I also made the Chocolate-Chocolate Walnut cookies (I turned them into Chocolate-Chocolate coconut-almond cookies) and the BBQ Tofu, both delicious.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Interesting. Thanks for sharing about your experiences with this book and with Appetite for Reduction: Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Meals, Dorothy, and: Welcome to the group!

message 12: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Last night I made the Lost Coconut Cream Pie (I think that's the recipe name) and it was really, really yummy. I think there was too much sugar in the crust and I ended up mainly eating the filling but if you like coconut then this is the pie for you! The texture was great, very creamy.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lee wrote: "Last night I made the Lost Coconut Cream Pie (I think that's the recipe name) and it was really, really yummy. I think there was too much sugar in the crust and I ended up mainly eating the fillin..."

Oh, good to know! Yay!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

SO far all I have tried was the Wheat germ banana muffins....I really liekd them and have used the recipe several times. I did add honey instead of sugar since I am not complete vegan. My hubby loved them as well and even took some to work. Everyone was surprised it was a vegan recipe (minus the honey!)

message 15: by Lisa (last edited May 09, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Well, there are so many vegan sweeteners if you don't want to use sugar. (I never much liked honey anyway.)

There's maple syrup, banana alone!!!, agave, molasses, date sugar, fruit juice, and so many more. Since you've tried these muffins several times, Melissa, it might be worth seeing if they'll taste as good or better with one of the sugar alternative sweeteners. Are you trying to not eat sugar, by the way?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I try to cut down...and stick to mostly natural sugars :) dates are a great one!! I just tried my new food processor to make some cookies I found and they use just date and banana

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Melissa wrote: "I try to cut down...and stick to mostly natural sugars :) dates are a great one!! I just tried my new food processor to make some cookies I found and they use just date and banana"

Yeah, I find with recipes for many things, such as muffins, that fruit alone is sufficient sweetener. Now, cake and candy, etc. desserts are another matter re how sweet we might want them to be.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Melissa wrote: "I try to cut down...and stick to mostly natural sugars :)"

Well, sugar is natural, either from beets or sugar cane. Honey from bee vomit also natural. Both are processed though.

There's a great make your own date sugar recipe (using only dates!) in the cookbook The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: 200 Foolproof Food Substitutions for Everything from Milk and Meat to Sugar and Soy-Includes Recipes; there are also other "sugar substitutes" in this book.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

lol good point...Guess I was thinking more along how much it is processed. My parents in law have bees where i get my honey. I'll have to rethink it looking at it as vomit :) That looks like an interesting book. I'll have to check for it at the library

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Melissa wrote: "lThat looks like an interesting book. I'll have to check for it at the library"

Melissa, It is a very useful book. I hope your library has it. It's one I found worth it to buy.

I like that there are icons at each recipes for: dairy sub, cheese sub, egg sub, meat sub, fish sub, by-product sub, gluten sub, soy sub, sugar sub, fat sub. So, it's not just for vegans but also those who have allergies, are on special diets, or just want delicious variations on traditionally made foods. It's a really handy reference book.

message 21: by Selah (new)

Selah (selahwrites) | 113 comments I made the French Lentil soup with Tarragon & Thyme and I like it.

message 22: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Last week I made the Mediterranean Cashew-Cucumber Dip which is their version of Tzatziki and it was pretty delicious, much richer than the traditional version.

There is a recipe for rice and lentils with caramelized onions and which I attempted to make and it was a complete disaster! I was so shocked. the texture was like mush. I obviously over cooked the lentils and rice but I followed the directions precisely.

message 23: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Last week I made the Mediterranean Cashew-Cucumber Dip which is their version of Tzatziki and it was pretty delicious, much richer than the traditional version.

There is a recipe for rice and le..."

I wonder if it might be the type of lentils you used. Red lentils cook very fast and tend to usually look and taste mushy, whereas brown, green and black lentils usually keep their shape. Also, when I cook lentils, I never presoak them, I find that presoaking lentils is not only unnecessary, it makes them mushy and too soft.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula wrote: "Also, when I cook lentils, I never presoak them, I find that presoaking lentils is not only unnecessary, it makes them mushy and too soft."

I've never presoaked either lentils or split peas. Also, I'm big on unsalted canned beans. So much easier when I can justify spending the extra money.

message 25: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

The recipe actually called for red lentils! Weird. If I ever atempt it again, I'll use brown or green.

message 26: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

And, based on Kathryn's recommmendation above, today I made the cauliflower and mushroom pot pie. It was pretty good. A little labour and time intensive but creamy and rich. I've noticed this author likes tarragon because she uses it in quite a few recipes. It has a pretty strong flavour.

message 27: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 24, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "The recipe actually called for red lentils! Weird. If I ever atempt it again, I'll use brown or green."

That is weird. Red lentils are great, but should generally not be used in any dish where the lentils are supposed to keep their shape (I've used them in smooth soups, and they are great in dips etc.). They do have less flavour than green and brown lentils though.

By the way, one of my old German vegetarian books (that I have misplaced, unfortunately), states that lentils need enough spices and you should always add something sour. And I've found that to be true, lentils taste much better if some lemon juice or even some tart apple slices (like Granny Smith) are added to the recipe.

message 28: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I just made the White Bean Aioli to serve on some toasted baguette and it was so fast, simple and delicious! Everybody loved it.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "I just made the White Bean Aioli to serve on some toasted baguette and it was so fast, simple and delicious! Everybody loved it."

Yum!!!

message 30: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Thanks for suggesting it Lisa. It really hit the spot!

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "Thanks for suggesting it Lisa. It really hit the spot!"

I'm glad this non-cook could be a bit useful. ;-) And, when all three of you like it, that's a success!!!

message 32: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lisa, you're always useful! :-)

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "Lisa, you're always useful! :-)"

Thanks, Lee. You know how thoroughly I enjoy it when I can be.

message 34: by Farrah (new)

Farrah | 212 comments Just got a copy of this from the library.... What should I make first??? There are so many yummy things I can't decide!!

message 35: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Oh my goodness Farrah. This book has so much variety that's a hard question to answer. I think you just have to flip through it and see what appeals to you.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Farrah wrote: "Just got a copy of this from the library.... What should I make first??? There are so many yummy things I can't decide!!"

I haven't made it, but someday (maybe for a holiday!) I am dying to make (well, eat!!) the Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Caramelized Onions and Sage Crumb Topping that's on pages 194-195.

But Lee is right: almost everything in the book looks worth making.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellehomescholar) love this book! we have the chickpea cutlets once a week here. and the double corn skillet corn bread is the best cornbread recipe hands down! I will never use another recipe for cornbread again.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I wanted to suggest this book for Diane. If only it had photos for every recipe, it would be a perfect book.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellehomescholar) ooh and the seitan pot pie - that's pretty awesome too!

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 29 comments I have only been doing the vegan thing for about six months, and received this cookbook from my sister as a Christmas gift. So far, everything I have made has been fantastic. I made BBQ seitan sandwiches, the spinach and noodle kugel (although I think it needs more seasoning than in the recipe), and a chocolate bundt cake with coffee in it that was incredible. Tonight I am making the chickpea cutlets with roasted asparagus, potatoes, and the mustard sauce in the book. Mmm...hungry just thinking about it!

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 29 comments Oh...I also made the baked beans, which were fantastic. This might become one of my go-to dishes for summer events. They had fantastic flavor and non-vegans would never know the difference.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Stephanie, This is many people's favorite cookbook. Everything you've made and plan to make sounds delicious!

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 29 comments The chick pea cutlets with mustard sauce were a huge hit last night, as were the lemony roasted potatoes. With roasted asparagus and red peppers on the side, the hubby and I both agreed that this was a fantastic dinner. It took about an hour from start to finish, but most of that was cooking time.

message 44: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I make those lemony roasted potatoes on a regular basis. They're fantastic. I usually add more tomato paste then the recipe calls for though.

message 45: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Don, I too am still searching for the perfect meatless ball recipe. I've had better success with home-made bean burgers.

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 29 comments The chickpea cutlets have be ome a go-to weeknight dinner and have made them several times now. We have decided that we like them much better in the oven and we like the red wine roux better than the mustard sauce.

message 47: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I've never made them in the oven but am definitely interested in trying them that way. I'm trying to cut back on frying in oil so this is happy news!

message 48: by Rashida (new)

Rashida | 16 comments Putting them (chickpea cutlets) in the oven is brilliant. Pan frying them can be difficult to get the heat level/timing right to get the good browning on the outside and amount of "doneness" on the inside. But that is one of my favorite recipes. After New Year's I had a LOT of black eyed peas left over, so I subbed them in for the chick peas and made some seasoning adjustments, and it was a good little burger, if I do say so, myself.

message 49: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Yes, you're right Rashida. It can be tricky to get the right amount of crispness on the outside and "doneness" on the inside. I love making patties with black-eyed peas. I might sub them into this recipe next time to see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 50: by Faith (new)

Faith McKay (faithmckay) My favorite is definitely the chickpea cutlets! I just can't get enough of them. I love to smother them in this gravy recipe I found on vegweb http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=123...

« previous 1