TV We've Just Watched discussion

General > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Hi, everyone. Some of the other groups I'm apart of have similar thread and I thought it was a nice way to check in, if you so choose.

So, I'm Roxy from NJ.
Avid TV watcher, or as much as I can with 2 little kids. I like a wide range of shows, well at least in my opinion. And I will admit to watching my fair share of junk aka reality TV.

message 2: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Hi Roxy. Good idea for a topic.

My husband and I are retired. We celebrated our 50th Anniversary last month. We have 4 sons and 4 grands. We enjoy boating on Lake George in the Adirondacks of NYS. We met through our common interest of water-skiing years ago.

I enjoy a little bit of everything, including TV, movies, and books. On TV I usually enjoy the talk shows most of all, but occasionally I'll enjoy a good movie at TCM. My favorite sitcom of all time is Frasier, but I've enjoyed all the oldies at one time or another. I don't follow the new sitcoms as much. I usually don't enjoy mysteries, crime stories, or the legal/medical series. I especially dislike reality shows. I also watch the news, mostly on CNN. And of course I love Jeopardy!

Ever since I joined Netflix, I've been catching up on all the movies I've missed because we hardly ever go to the movie theaters. I stream the Netflix movies and I receive their DVDs.

I enjoy communicating online. I've been online since 1995 and originally started communicating online via the newsgroups. In fact I was online with the original Prodigy.com Network before the Web became available to most people. So I've had a lot of experience online and have been a moderator of various groups in the past. I was a Special Contributor to the old Prodigy Bulletin Boards in the late 1990s.

I have my own group here at Goodreads. We cover everything, but I like to focus on books. I love the Goodreads system of providing "shelves" for our book choices. What a great way to keep track of our reading. The best part of Goodreads is that it stimulates me to read and helps me discover new material. I especially love to read the reviews of the GR members and compare their opinions to mine. I'm always surprised to see how different people's opinions can be. Some will give 5 stars to a book and others will give only one or two stars to the same book!

I look forward to getting to know the fun people in this group. I do watch a lot of TV, but lately I've been having trouble finding shows I like. So maybe you all can stimulate my interest in some of the new shows.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm Holli and you all know I love my TV shows. Reality tv, dramas, comedies, you name it I watch it for the most part. Or at least try it out to see if it's worth my time!

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Mar 05, 2011 03:46PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'm Jackie and I watch too much TV. My preferences are scifi-fantasy, paranormal, cult series and drama.

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Joy - I love watching old movies on TCM! I'll watch jus about anything with Cary Grant in it. Wow on your bio, by the way. How did you come to be introduced to the Internet so early?

message 6: by Joy H. (last edited Mar 06, 2011 06:38AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Roxy, I too love Cary Grant. Imagine how old I felt when my son told me he didn't know who Cary Grant was! (lol) (My sons don't watch TCM. :)

Good question about how I came to be introduced to the Internet so early. The answer is that I owe it all to my sons who are all technically minded. I got my first computer back in 1994. I used it only to learn word-processing. It was not connected to the Internet. It didn't even have any sound capabilities. (I was thrilled the first time I heard sound on a computer!)

Anyway, to make a short story long (g), one day our sons gave us a MODEM as a gift. We didn't even know what a modem was! So we left it in the box. (g)

Finally, when our sons visited again, early in 1995, they set up our modem for us. We had to dial-in for a connection in those days. One of our sons set me up with an account on the Prodigy Bulletin Boards (which was sponsored by IBM, the company he works for). By dialing-up, I was able to post and read messages on those Bulletin Boards (BBs). At the time, the BBs were not part of the Internet (which we usually referred to as the "Web"). The Prodigy BBs were a closed circuit available only to other Prodigy members. I was on the BBs so much that they asked me to be a Special Contributor.

After year or two, Prodigy made a transition to the Internet, connecting to the "World Wide Web" (now, of course, known as the Internet or Net).

While on the Prodigy BBs, I had joined a Book Group called "Constant Reader". That was my first online book group. I had lost contact with the Constant Reader group when Prodigy made the transition to the Net. I started surfing the Net. I moderated several different groups, some of which I had formed myself. I also joined several newsgroups where I posted and read messages to and from folks around the world.

One day, I searched for the Constant Reader group on the Net. Lo and behold, I found them! They had become part of Goodreads! And that's how I found Goodreads!!!

PS-Here's a link to the Constant Reader group at GR:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/8...
They are really the top of the line among book groups.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I don't watch many old films but I do love Cary Grant. Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my favorite films and still makes me laugh...no matter how many times I've seen it.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments Hi my name is Marie and I am new to this group. I do watch some TV, I mostly DVR all the good shows I hate commercials!
We watch alot of animal planet, ID, NatGeo, the history channel. Love my reruns of criminal minds and ncis.
I am from the Jersey Shore.

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Mar 06, 2011 06:43PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Hi Marie! Welcome!
I want to marry my DVR, I love it that much, lol.
I watch Criminal Minds and NCIS too. And I'm a big documentary fan. If you know of any good docs coming up, please post them in the documentary folder, I'm always looking for new things to learn.

PS: Where on the Jersey Shore?
I used to go to Beachwood as a kid, we had family there. (Near Tom's River)

message 10: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Hi, Marie. Many of us sing he praises of our DVRs! Especially those of us w/ little kids;-)

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan We used to vacation in Beachwood every summer Jackie! We used to go swimming in the bay and I remember our big shopping trip was always to Pottery Barn!! LOL

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli Welcome Marie!!

message 13: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments I am in Seaside Park, and PLEASE don't confuse me with the people from the Jersey Shore TV show. Locals do not act like them!

I am out on the bay all summer long boating, but this past summer the Barnegat Bay was horrible with all the jellyfish YUCK!

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan yeah she ain't no Snooki-----LOL whateva!!!!

message 15: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I believe yeah, Marie. We used to vacation in Seaside as a kid. I can't stand the Jersey Shore show.

message 16: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments And hello, Susan. I think I missed your intro

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan I'm not sure I made one...I'm Susan, 48 from Wisconsin, originally a Jersey Girl......three kids 24, 9, and 5........hello Roxy!!! :)

message 18: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Hi, Susan. I have a 5yr old and a 5 month old hense my love of my DVR

message 19: by Joy H. (last edited Mar 07, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Wow, Susan, I see you have children who are 19 years apart in age! That's quite a span!

Our 4 boys were all born between 1961 and 1969. Our oldest son just turned 50 in February. Our other 3 boys are in their 40s.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Marie and Susan, I don't watch the JS, I know local and native Shore people aren't like that at all. It's the guidos from the cities who come down and trash the shore that they're showing.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Hi everyone. I'm not very good at introductions but I also like old movies on TCM. Movies today don't do much for me because I'm not a big fan of movies that are all special effects or gross-out comedy. I'll take Jerry Lewis, The Marx Brothers or Laurel and Hardy over just about any comedy nowadays. I'm trying to cut down on TV watching, but I still watch what I think is a lot. Of shows that are on right now, I watch Detroit 1-8-7, Justified, Parks and Recreation, Grey's Anatomy and Survivor. I watch as many Twins baseball games as I can and I also like those Lockup documentaries on MSNBC. And I admit to watching pro-wrestling from time to time. There are two characters, Cookie and Robbie, who are from Jersey and are patterned after the characters on JS. Someone named JWOW was on the show wrestling Cookie, too. I also like to read and write.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Joy H. wrote: "Wow, Susan, I see you have children who are 19 years apart in age! That's quite a span!

Our 4 boys were all born between 1961 and 1969. Our oldest son just turned 50 in February. Our other 3 boys ..."

Crazy huh? My husband wants to know why I'm tired all the time-LOL!!!

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Gayathrii,
Welcome!
What are you studying at university?

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Interesting subject

message 25: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments Hi Gayathrii!

@Micheal I hope JWOW got her butt kicked LOL
I like old movies too, but mostly musicals like Meet in St. Louis, Good News,Wizard of Oz is my favorite!

@Roxy where from NJ are you?
Glad to find someone else that doesn't like the JS show, other than us locals...

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments HI I'm Becky, From Seattle. I to have 2 small boy's one is going to be 6 in two weeks, and one is going to be 2 in a month (yikes) Avid TV watcher of almost anything. Sadly (or maybe not) I'm raising two avid tv watchers as well. Wipeout is my older son's favorite show and all he does now is remind me that spring wipe out is coming soon! I love old movies especially musicals. Love Science Fiction! but it really does need to be good, and I would be lost without BBC america! sadly no DVR for me, but lots of on demand!

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Marie wrote: "Meet in St. Louis"

I LOVE that movie! I can't say it's my favorite musical because there are so many good ones (was just watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers again not too long ago) but it's really, really good!

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Becky wrote: "Wipeout is my older son's favorite show and all he does now is remind me that spring wipe out is coming soon!"

I saw some of this show before Grey's Anatomy and all I could think was 'are those people crazy?!' They really take some abuse on those obstacle courses.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments all for your 15 minutes!

message 30: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments Becky hello! have you seen the other version of wipe out? I can't remember the name but it was all in Japanese. Much funnier....

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I know that show, it was hilarious. I can't remember the name either.

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments MXC
I knew it had weird letters.

message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments LOL

message 34: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Hi, Marie
I love Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St Lousie too. I always get choked up when Judy Garland sings Have Yourself a merry little Chistmas. I from what we call Central Jersey

message 35: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Hi, Becky. My 5 yr old loves TV as well but thankfully he loves to play outside and has a vivid imagination and can cope without it too. He loves watching Dirty Jobs. And my 5 month old will stare at anything that is on the TV

message 36: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments Jackie wrote: "Hi Marie! Welcome!
I want to marry my DVR, I love it that much, lol.
I watch Criminal Minds and NCIS too. And I'm a big documentary fan. If you know of any good docs coming up, please post the..."

We can marry our DVRs?! Cool! Except, I'm sorta in a civil union with my Ipod! ;)

message 37: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Stacy, if we're gonna break the rules, let's go all out and marry all our electronics, lol

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, Kate here, lifelong tv watcher and movie fan. I don't watch that many shows really, but I often find myself catching up on shows that seem to have come and gone before I was even aware of them. Or long-time shows. I'm still in the process of catching up with LOST, Gilmore Girls, Star Trek....

message 39: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments kate wrote: "... I often find myself catching up on shows that seem to have come and gone before I was even aware of them. Or long-time shows. ...."

So true, Kate. I was that way with Cheers and Seinfeld. If it weren't for the reruns, I never would have seen them. Of course, nowadays with Netflix and other such rentals, we can do a lot of catching-up.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Kate, in a way, you're better off waiting to see if the series is successful. All too often I get caught up in an ongoing storyline only to have it cancelled without finding out what happened!

message 41: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Hi Kate

message 42: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments Hi Kate!

@ Michael I have never seen the entire movie of Seven brides for Seven Brothers.

ever see Splendor in the Grass with Natalie
Wood? First movie that ever made me cry and still does

message 43: by Marie (new)

Marie | 18 comments Roxy it sounds like we are kindred spirits!..
Thinking of Kindred spirits how about Anne of Green Gables?

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I've never seen Splendor in the Grass. I think the only Natalie Wood movies I've ever seen have been West Side Story and The Searchers.

message 45: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Marie - I knew the kindred spirits reference before you even said Anne! I love the PBS movies. I've been slowly reading through the books too over the years.

Splendor in the Grass....I may have to look that one up. I've heard of it of course but never seen it.

message 46: by Joy H. (last edited Mar 17, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Michael wrote: "I've never seen Splendor in the Grass. I think the only Natalie Wood movies I've ever seen have been West Side Story and The Searchers."

Michael, you should see Natalie Wood in "Gypsy".
"Gypsy" (1962)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056048/
"Based on the Broadway hit about the life and times of burlesque dancer Gypsy Rose Lee and her aggressive stage mother, Mama Rose."
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Gyp...

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNiHi...
(This is an act at the end of the movie. But actually, her earlier performance in the movie was more touching because her character was a young, nervous, first-time burlesque performer. She was innocent and frightened but did it because she and her mom (Rosalind Russell) needed the job.)

message 47: by Ειρήνη (new)

Ειρήνη Hey everyone!
I'm Eirini and I'm new to the group!
I'm currently watching Raising Hope, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Being Human and Glee.
I love reading books (mystery, historical fiction, YA) and I can't imagine my life without music <3
I'm 22 y/o and a college student

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Hello! I'm curious how you pronounce you name, is it like "eye" or "aye" or am I way off base?

message 49: by Ειρήνη (new)

Ειρήνη Hello Michael! Well, the spelling seems strange because it's a greek name. In english should be Irini or smth like that. All "i"'s are pronounced as "i" in "it" :D

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Thank you and nice to meet you!

« previous 1 3 4