Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Group Business > Member Introductions: Please feel free to introduce yourself.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 803 (803 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (last edited Mar 05, 2011 01:57PM) (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
Hello and welcome everyone! My name is Lee, I love to cook, talk about and collect cookbooks and am very happy to be starting this group with my good friend Lisa. It is my hope that you will become as excited and inspired about vegan cooking as I am. Please feel free to introduce yourself if you are so inclined or just jump right in to any of our discussion threads.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, everyone. I'm Lisa, a long time vegan who reads vegan cookbooks for fun. Unlike Lee, I'm not much of a cook myself, but I hope to begin to use my cookbooks for making recipes, not just reading, and I'm grateful for any tips and information members in this group might share.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Hello! I'm Kathryn and I'm so excited to see my friends Lisa and Lee have started this group. They are wonderful people and have been very inspirational to me since I began my own journey with veganism last August.

I have never been super fond of cooking and getting into the kitchen used to be a big chore for me. But, when I was on a strict health-related diet a few years ago, I had to make pretty much everything from scratch so I guess I got used to it. Now, I'm having a lot of fun exploring vegan cookbooks (The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine and Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook being my favorites so far) and sharing recipes and ideas with my vegan friends online. I feel certain this group will continue to inspire and encourage me, especially since I don't know any other vegans amongst my "real world" (not online) friends/family so I'm looking forward to meeting more like-minded people through this group.

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Hi, I am Gundula, and this looks like a great group. I'm trying to eat a more healthy diet, but I don't want to just go out and buy a bunch of vegan cookbooks, because I've done that previously and been disappointed. One thing that I would like to get some information on is how to veganise non-vegan recipes and maybe a list of vegan replacements for non-vegan ingredients. I am also interested in finding cookbooks that can be used to prepare foods for novice vegans, but especially if I am cooking for people who are not vegan (even if I make a few vegan dishes at a dinner party, it would be good for both health and the environment). Oh, and I would als love to find a vegan cookbook that uses only local ingredients (or as local as possible).

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Mar 07, 2011 08:17AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Welcome to the group, Kathryn and Gundula. I'm delighted that you've joined us.

Kathryn, We already have threads for Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook and The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine. Feel free to discuss them there, and you can start new cookbook discussion threads too, for any other cookbooks.

Gundula, I'm sure the members here will (eventually) be able to help you find just the right cookbooks for you. We'll have to think about the local issue. (Gundula is from near Toronto in Ontario, Canada. And, there is a very good local vegetarian organization there and an annual food fair that is world famous.)

message 6: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Welcome Kathryn and Gundula! I'm so happy to see both of you here.

Gundula and I actually live in the same area so maybe we can find some great cookbooks and recipes that address your concerns together. While they don't have everything, I know our library system has quite a few good ones and more on order. I often borrow them before deciding to buy to test a few recipes.

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Hi Everyone -

Like Lisa, I love to collect vegan cookbooks and read them for fun. I also really enjoy cooking, but prefer baking. I would love to become a better cook and be more comfortable with cooking.

Gundula and Lee - I used to live in Toronto (I am in San Francisco now) - is Noah's on Bloor still there? That little shop was packed with amazing veg resources, not to mentions ingredients for just about everything you could want to cook/bake.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, Monica. I'm so glad that you joined this group.

We have a vegan-baking-desserts (cookbooks) shelf here. ;-)

So, this group will cover all things vegan food preparation and related topics.

message 9: by Ginny (new)

Ginny Messina | 33 comments Thank you so much to Lisa and Lee for forming this group.

I'm a long-time vegan and a dietitian. My work focuses on educating vegans about nutrition and promoting healthy and realistic choices and also in correcting the misinformation that the general public and other health professionals have about vegan diets.

I enjoy cooking--when I have the time--and the recent growth in the number of wonderful vegan cookbooks has definitely inspired me. (So have my vegan friends on goodreads :)

My fave cookbook of the moment is
Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soulwhich is headed for my "all time favorites" shelf, I think. I also love any of Isa Moskowitz's books, especially Vegan Brunch I also do a lot of veganizing from long-time favorite vegetarian cookbooks.

I'm looking forward to hearing about favorite recipes and favorite books.

message 10: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 07, 2011 12:54PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Hi, everyone!

Thank you again to Lee and Lisa for inviting me here - I'm so happy to see them leading this group. They are great people!

I am crazy about vegan cookbooks. I've found a lot of great recipes over the past three years (how long I've been vegan), but my problem is I rarely make something twice because for me, most of the fun in cooking is trying something new. My other problem is that I've bought so many cookbooks that sometimes I don't remember if I already own one. Part of this is that I bought a bunch before I recently moved and still have a lot packed away somewhere.

Currently, I've gotten very serious about my health and have gone on a strict diet of nearly all whole foods with very minimal added oil and sweeteners. I have almost 100 pounds left to lose. One thing motivating me to get to my goal is that I am going to allow myself to start baking and eating treats again in moderation. But over the past year or so, weight loss and moderation haven't been working together for me. So all that to say I'm mostly cooking out of Appetite for Reduction right now - I've made about a third of the recipes. I've also been picking out low-fat recipes from some of my other books like 1000 Vegan Recipes and Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan (one of my favorites!).

Can't wait to take part in or just read all the discussions that will take place here!

message 11: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Wow, wow, wow! I went away to make pancakes and come back to some great intros!

Monica, I used to live in the Annex and Noah's was my go-to store for natural foods. I am happy to report that the last time I was in the city it was still in business.

Ginny, we are so happy to have you here with us. You have such a wealth of knowledge and are so generous with your time in sharing it! I have been eyeing that Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul since I saw it on my feed. Feel free to start a thread for it below if you want to share any recipes you've tried.

And last but not least Lindsey! Lately, I have been on a similar journey and have cut out sugar from my diet in an effort to feel better and lose some weight. I can't wait to chat with you more about that.

Welcome to you all! Lisa and I are so excited to have gathered such a wonderful group of people to talk about great vegan food!

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Mar 07, 2011 01:34PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ginny and Lindsey, I'm so happy to have you as members of this group. To both of you: Thanks for introducing yourself.

Ginny, You know I'm a big fan: of your nutrition advice, your books, and I treasure the friendship we've developed, and I love talking with you about children's, historical fiction, and other non-vegan books, as well as the vegan ones.

Lindsey, I also have been losing weight and need to lose much more also. I've had weight issues my entire life, but was doing really well until I hurt my knees nearly 7 years ago and stopped being able to exercise. Then, I gained a ton of weight. Since October 24th (my vegan anniversary, 16 years) I've been losing the weight I gained. I don't use oil in cooking but I do eat it in convenience/restaurant food, and I am still eating desserts. For some reason, for me, very low fat eating doesn't work; I feel deprived so I eat more calories and gain weight. Go figure. But, I tend to eat no fat added and no salt added dishes because I often enjoy them best.

So far all the cookbooks people have mentioned in this thread are already on our shelves.

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyhaagenson) Hello! I was invited to join by Kathryn (thank you Kathryn!) and I'm very excited to check out what everyone has to offer in this arena.

Here is a little about me. First and foremost, I have to get this off my chest and out in the open, I'm not vegan. Please don't slaughter me! I've been vegetarian off and on since my early teens; currently off... once again, PLEASE have mercy. I have struggled maintaining a vegetarian diet (especially while pregnant and breastfeeding) and truly think you are all gods and goddesses for shunning all animal products. With that being said, I do love to cook and bake although that doesn't necessarily mean I'm good at it ;)

I'm particularly looking forward to trying some great vegan recipes since I've come to the conclusion that my four month old daughter has a sensitivity to the dairy that she was receiving through my breast milk. I've been very diligent about cutting out all major dairy sources from my diet but am really missing my cheese and ice cream!

message 14: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 09, 2011 01:49PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Welcome, Wendy! Glad to have you here!

A vegan diet is surprisingly easier than it appears once you get in the habit, but that can take a few months.

I think it's wonderful you've dabbled in vegetarianism as much as you have!

If you can find it, try coconut milk ice cream; it is amazing!

message 15: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (last edited Mar 09, 2011 02:55PM) (new)

Hi Wendy, we are so glad to have you join us! No-one is going to be slaughtered here. We welcome you with open arms, truly, and hope that we can assist you with whatever you need. I went vegan while I was nursing my daughter and right before it happened I never thought that little ole me could actually be a vegan mama. I completely underestimated myself. I found the motivation to stop eating dairy after reading about the kind of bond mama cows share with their babies. The physical desire for cheese took a while to go away but I feel great about my choice now. I hope you don't mind me sharing that? Please feel free to ask any questions, we are still a small group but there are some very experienced vegans here and we love to help others on their journey. I sound completely corny but I mean it!

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Mar 09, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, Wendy. Welcome to the group. We're delighted to have you here.

And, I expect there will be many members who are not vegan. Some of the people I invited here are not vegans.

I took quite a while to go vegetarian and a really long time trying (6-1/2 years) to go vegan, so I understand the struggle. I've been fully vegan for nearly 16-1/2 years now, and for the last 13-1/2 years it's been easy for me.

But, we want this group to be for everybody, including members who have no desire to go vegan or vegetarian, but might be interested in getting or giving a vegan cookbook or simply want to make a delicious vegan meal. I'm sure members here will have all sorts of reasons for wanting to participate in this group.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyhaagenson) Thank you all for being so welcoming!

Lindsey, I just recently discovered coconut milk and have used it here and there for cooking/baking. I was eying some coconut milk ice cream at the store the other day but couldn't bring myself to buy it at more than $6 a quart. I'll have to splurge for some special occasion.

Lee, thank you for sharing some of your story with me. Now you have my interested spiked - I kinda want to read about mama cows. Initially I was slightly surprised when I figured out my daughter was reacting less than ideally to the dairy I was eating. After taking a moment to think about it, it makes perfect sense; she was made to drink milk from me, not a cow!

Lisa, thank you again for being so welcoming. It did seem kind of odd to join a "vegan" group when I'm not a vegan, or even currently a vegetarian. I'm glad you are so open to all types of eaters! :)

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Mar 09, 2011 10:01PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Wendy wrote: "I was eying some coconut milk ice cream at the store the other day but couldn't bring myself to buy it at more than $6 a quart. I'll have to splurge for some special occasion."

Wendy, Many vegan cookbooks have recipes for (relatively) inexpensive coconut and other non-dairy milks vegan ice creams. We have 3 cookbooks on our shelves that are dedicated vegan ice cream books:

Vice Cream: Over 70 Sinfully Delicious Dairy-Free Delights,

Lick It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love,

and The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing.

Just fyi. There are so many vegan ice creams. Yes, some are expensive, but it's often possible to find them inexpensively or make them yourself.

message 19: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 10, 2011 01:47PM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Wendy wrote: "Hello! I was invited to join by Kathryn (thank you Kathryn!) and I'm very excited to check out what everyone has to offer in this arena."

I'm so happy you joined, Wendy! I think you will find the group very welcoming, even if you are not vegan. I struggled a lot, at first, with whether I even had a right to consider myself "vegan" since I am not always there 100% yet in practice, but I feel very good in making a heartfelt and thoughtful decision to "be" vegan, even if I sometimes fall short of my expectations. It is getting easier as I go along especially when I found support online since I don't have anyone vegan in my friends/family circle around here. I tend to be very hard on myself and put a lot of pressure on myself, but talking with Lisa and Lee really encouraged me and helped me feel better and that I am actually doing pretty well on my vegan journey ;-) I also decided that every bit helps, whether you are considering vegan (or vegetarian) for animal rights, environmental reasons and/or personal health (or the health of your baby!) Your baby is so lucky to have such a thoughtful and aware mother! :-) And I hope you will find some recipes and suggestions in this group to help you not miss dairy so much (there's a thread up on "vegan substitutions" where I actually asked about cheese substitutes so you might find that helpful if you're hankering for something cheesy!)

message 20: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments Hi everyone,

Lisa invited me to join this group. I am a long time vegan and I own about 20 vegan cookbooks. But I don't do much cooking at all. I keep my meals simple, and have my food routines. I am looking to buy another vegan cookbook and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for me. What I want is a book with beautiful photos of food. I am more interested in the photos than I am in the content or in cooking the recipes. I am an ESL teacher and my students are always curious about my veganism. So I want to be able to show them a cookbook with mouthwatering photos of food. Most of my books don't have photos, with a few exceptions. Does anyone have any suggestions for books with beautiful photos? Thanks! Nettie

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi Nettie, I'm so grateful that you joined. We're *trying* to keep this discussion thread for member introductions, so could you please post your cookbooks with photos request here?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Thanks so much.

I'm sure you'll get many ideas. I have a couple, and I think one is one I haven't mentioned yet to you.

message 22: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Welcome, Nettie! I love that you are going to use cookbooks to share your veganism with your students. How cool!!

message 23: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Welcome, Nettie! I will look through my cookbooks to see what I can find in terms of beautiful photos.

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lindsey wrote: "Welcome, Nettie! I love that you are going to use cookbooks to share your veganism with your students. How cool!!"

Very cool, indeed! I don't have a lot of familiarity with vegan cookbooks yet and can't think of any with noteworty photography but I will post on the appropriate thread if I come across something.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

My name is Mona and I joined the group today. I have been a vegetarian for more than 25 years. I am interested in vegan recipes, ideas and thoughts from members.

message 26: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Hi Mona!

message 27: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Welcome Mona! The group is only a few days old but we are already off to a great start. Please feel free to post where you find topics that interest you or to start a thread if you can't find what you're looking for.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hello, Mona. Welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy it. As Lee said, we are a brand new Goodreads' group, but we already have a wonderful group of people here. I'm happy to meet you, and I'm looking forward to sharing information and thoughts with you and everyone here.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Hi everyone Im Sandi..Ive been a vegetarian for most of my life,and became vegan the past couple of years..long time reader of Vegetarian Times magazine..have some ok cook books,so Im glad you ladies started this group! Im looking forward to finding some new recipes& chatting with you all!

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, Sandi. Welcome to the group. We're glad you found us.

There are so many resources now for vegans and vegetarians, including cookbooks and magazines, and books and foods, and organizations, groups, etc. etc. etc.

I used to read Vegetarian Times regularly. My favorite publication for the last 10 years is VegNews. Have you ever read that magazine?

I hope our group and its members can help you find some wonderful cookbooks!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Thanks Lisa for the welcome! I havent read that magazine,I will check it out. My challange is cooking for one, my kids have grown & gone..and I find it harder for just one person sometimes,so I hope maybe some recipes "for one" I can find. Just something new would make cooking more interesting!

message 32: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Sandi, welcome.

Cooking for one or two can be a real pain. Cookbooks for singles or for people only cooking for two is an essentially quite untapped market in North America. In Europe though, these types of cookbooks are really common, I have a quite a few German cookbooks that have recipes for singles, many of them vegetarian and vegan, I just wish I knew where I hid them ...

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi, I live alone and cook for just myself too. We have a few vegan cookbooks on our shelves that have cooking for 1 or cooking for 1 or 2 on on bookshelf; they might be of interest to you! Take a look.

I rarely use cookbooks. Soon, I'll post in the thread about what members eat that's in the off topic chat folder.

Sandi, If you like you can start a thread in that folder about cooking in small volume. Or, ask Lee or I to start it, if you're unsure how to do it. Then, members can give tips and we can post about the pertinent cookbooks too.

message 34: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Hi Sandi, welcome!

I don't always cook in large volumes either although I do have a daughter and husband but it's nice to have some leftovers for the following day. Sometimes I like to try recipes just for myself because I know it will not interest them. I hope the group can help you find more resources.

message 35: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Mar 13, 2011 11:31AM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Thank you ladies!:D Sure am glad I found this group!
@ Lisa III check out those cookbooks on the shelf, I rarely use cookbooks too..but love to find some new ways to do things with tofu (rubber-meat my daughter calls it) The last thing I feel like doing after work is whipping out a cook book and making a meal for myself..just need something simple & fast! Also maybe a thread on vegan crock-pot recipes?so hard to find!
@ Gundula & Lee thanks for the welcome & Im sure III find some "goodies" here!

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi, We also have a couple books shelved on slow cookers for vegan recipes.

You can start those threads in the cooking chat folder; actually, that would be the best folder for them.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Just saw them! Thanks!:)

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi wrote: "Just saw them! Thanks!:)"

Sandi, There were 4 and Lee just added 4 more. Have you seen all 8?:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

Feel free to start a thread in the cooking chat folder for gluten free vegan cooking.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Hi Lisa..I started the "gluten free" in the off topic as Lee said she could move it..as it gets some response? wasnt sure..hope that was the right place?
Please move if not :)

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I'm thinking it would work well in the cooking chat folder. Thoughts?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments I think your right..there is a lot of people on gluten free diets..or a folder for "special diets" as Lee said?

message 42: by Lisa (last edited Mar 13, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Let me check with Lee. A Vegan Special Diets folder might be good. Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Raw, etc.

message 43: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Yes, let's create a new folder!

message 44: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Mar 13, 2011 01:20PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Lisa wrote: "Let me check with Lee. A Special Diets folder might be good. Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Raw, etc."

Yes..that sounds good..and Id be interested in the raw! I have been doing that due to laziness! :)

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi, Folder is there and threads have been started.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 53 comments Lisa wrote: "Sandi, Folder is there and threads have been started."

Great! Thank you!

message 47: by Mark (new)

Mark Victor Young (markvictoryoung) | 24 comments Hi to everyone who has already introduced themselves. I'm Mark and I'm apparently slow to get moving on these kinds of things. I've been vegetarian since 95 and vegan since 05. I live with my vegetarian daughter and occasionally vegetarian wife, which sometimes makes meal preparation a challenge. We have a bookcase full of cookbooks in our dining room, about 45 of which are veg and at least half of those are vegan. We have all of the usual suspects for which you have created headings: Isa, Tal, Joanne, Dreena, Robin, etc. Our favourite veg publication is VegNews, to which we are on and off subscribers and frequent impulse drugstore purchasers if the cover looks cool.

I do a lot of the cooking in our house and I am a habitual recipe adapter or even ignorer, maker-upper, meatless maverick, etc. I was invited to join the group by Lee, with whom I seem to have a lot in common (vegan parent of one child living in Ontario, represent!). I have been a member of the vrgparents Yahoo group since our daughter was born in 03. I do write a blog, but it is not specifically vegan, so I won't list it, but you can click my profile if you are interested.

The inspiration for the blog came from something Erik Marcus (vegan.com) blogged about. He was giving a positive review to Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution show and mentioned in passing that animal advocates often spend too much time focusing on asking people to take the last step--becoming vegan--towards helping the animals and they lose track of the importance of asking them to take the important first steps.

So I sent an e-mail to everyone I knew who wasn't already veg*n and asked them to consider adopting a Meatless Mondays program for their health, the environment and the animals. In return, I agreed to send them one recipe a week that was a family favourite. I had an amazing response from friends and family who were eager to try this, had misgivings about eating meat, worried about the environment or whatever else. That original e-mail became the first post on the blog and I have since posted 22 recipes, most of which are vegan. I send the e-mail version to about 26 different families now, which is way beyond what I expected when I first gave it a shot.

I've been following all the posts so far and it seems this group has a lot of interesting discussions and exchanges and a nice mix of the veg and veg-curious. Look forward to reading more and offering any suggestions that I can. Thanks for having me.

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Mar 14, 2011 06:46AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, Mark. Welcome to the group! We're delighted to have you. I'm very happy to meet you.

Thanks for sharing so much about yourself. I love your idea of sending weekly recipes to every non veg*n you know to support them in participating in Meatless Mondays.

VegNews is my very favorite publication. I got a freebee copy of their second issue at a World Vegetarian Day Festival over 10 years ago and I've been a steady subscriber since issue number three.

It seems as though you've taken a look around the group. Feel free to start or add to any discussion posts that interest you.

ETA: Oh, and if any of your 20 something vegan cookbooks aren't already on our shelves, please let us know and Lee and I will add them. Thanks!

message 49: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 14, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Welcome, Mona, Sandi and Mark!

Sandi, I'm very happy you started the gluten-free thread idea!

Mark, I love the idea of the Meatless Mondays email w/ recipes to friends. I agree that it's usually so overwhelming for people to contemplate going "all the way" to veganism but just taking small steps is a great beginning and, even if they never do fully go veg*n, every little bit helps and Meatless Mondays is a great idea!

I will try to look in on your blog. I don't have children yet but am very interested in raising them veg*n when the time comes and, as my husband is an omnivore (though very happy to eat the vegan foods I make), it sounds as if I may eventually be in a similar boat to your family.

message 50: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Wow Mark, what an amazing idea! I love what you are doing with your blog and am so glad you accepted my invitation to join us here. I look forward to getting to know you better and hopefully we can help you find some more great recipes to share with your friends and family.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17