Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > 2011 Read-A-Thon

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just want to see what people's thoughts are on doing the read-a-thon again.

Are people interested? Would summer be the best time to do it (June/July/August for other continent members)?

Should the format remain the same?

Let me know what you are thinking people!!

Thanks,

Jess

message 2: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments Sounds fun

message 3: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments I think it sounds like fun too and I think June-Aug. would probably work better.

message 4: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments I know Steph & I talked about it and would like to do it again. From memory you let us do it over 3 days and that worked really well for us. We could work around real life that way, even though it was quite manic.

Time of year doesn't really matter, I don't think. But your summer would be fine.

PS: I'd better let Steph know. LOL.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Okay.. it sounds like there is interest in doing it again and Sandra you can definitely do it over 3 days again if you want!

Maybe I will set it up to run 2 months again as well in case people need more leeway of when to complete it.

message 6: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments 2 months? I like the sound of that...better chance of completing it on time. I've not done one before, how did you do it last time (choose the books?)

message 7: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Thanks Jess, the 3 days definitely worked for us.

message 8: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments I'm in again! We had a blast and I look forward to round two. 3 days definitely worked well for us. No difference, for me, which time of year it runs.

Thanks, Jess.

message 9: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 58 comments What do you mean run it for 2 months? I don't know what you mean by read-a-thon. LIke we pick a day in that 2 month period and just do nothing but read that day? Or is it that we read as much as we can for the whole 2 months?

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I am in again.....I had fun last time

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Here's a link to last year's: 2010 Read-A-Thon

But basically, you read for a period of 24 hours. We allowed people to separate that 24 hours among no more than 3 days. Some did it all in one and read as much as they could, and then others took 3 days.

Each person (or group of people reading together) created threads the day they started. Some kept track of their books, others talked to each other throughout the read-a-thon.

What I meant by having it up for 2 months, people can pick a day to do the read-a-thon any day in July or August. In case people are on vacation or something. So people will be doing the read-a-thon on different days. Hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to ask!

message 12: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments Jess, when will you decide what months to run it and will you be posting it in this thread once you decide? I still like the June-Aug summer idea. Pansy, a GR friend, said she's also interested and summer would be best for her also.
Neither of us have done a RAT before and look forward to participating in this one if you decide to do it.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Keri - It's definitely going to be over the summer. Probably July and August.

I will create a folder for the event sometime in June with explanation threads. This folder is where people will create their own personal threads for their event.

This thread was just to gauge the interest level of people and it seems like there are enough that are interested for us to do it again.

message 14: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments okay, lookin forward to it!! :)

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah me too.. it was a little hard to read all day (which you wouldn't think is the case since I love reading) but it was definitely difficult to read all day when you "have" to.

But still I'm excited for it again!

message 16: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments lol, trust me when I say it still beats any required college reading ;)

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 32 comments I wasn't apart of the group when you guys did this last year but I read about it and it sounds like a great idea! I'd love to join and June-August sounds the best to me as I'll be in school until May. :)

message 18: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I wasn't here last year either but would definitely be interested in participating over the summer.

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm glad to hear that you ladies are also interested!

The folder will go up around June, so keep an eye out for it then.

message 20: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Will do, Jess :)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 66 comments Sounds good to me, it will be easier for me to split into 3 days I think. Looking after 3 kids & reading for 24hrs straight? Highly unlikely to happen! But once they are napping? Oh yes! :)

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Sounds good Michelle!

message 23: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (last edited Apr 02, 2011 09:37PM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments I am in and July/Aug would be perfect because I will be on break so I can actually read :-)

message 24: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 158 comments I'm in. I'd also prefer july/august.

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yay, more people to participate!