Q&A with Stephen Goldin discussion

Assault on the Gods--classic space adventure

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 57 comments Mod
Assault on the Gods by Stephen Goldin , originally published in hardcover from Doubleday in 1977, is now back in print with all the action intact.

Ardeva (Dev) Korrell is a starship captain overseeing a trading mission to a primitive alien planet where the native culture is being suffocated by strict rules from its "gods." But when those gods kill one of her crewmen with a lightning bolt, Dev finds herself reluctantly drawn into a war with these superior creatures, Now, to survive, she and her crew must stage an assault on the home of the gods and storm the gates of heaven itself,

This is classic space opera adventure with a likable female protagonist. For more details, check out my online bookstore, Parsina Press.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 2 comments I started this last night, the 1977 HC edition. I'm about a third of the way in and so far it is quite good. My 1st thought is that it's a novelization of Asimov's Aphorism, but we shall see.

I like the quotes by Anthropos and even looked the name up to see if there were some real person using the name. The philosophy is quite agreeable and adds a dimension to the novel.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

To the best of my recollection, I've never read that particular Asimov story. As far as I'm concerned, it's totally original with me--but I'm flattered by the comparison.

The Anthropos quotes are all mine, too; Anthropos just means "Man" in Greek. One of the perks of being a science fiction writer is that you can make up your own "wise quotes." One reader even suggested I start my own religion, but I was wise enough to decline. I collected some more of the quotes, though, on my Web site under Goldin Rules.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy the rest of the book. Pleasant reading!

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 2 comments Opps - it is an Arthur C Clarke's aphorism: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

One of Clarke's 3 laws.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Oh yes, I'm quite familiar with that one--and I agree wholeheartedly. I don't recall explicitly thinking of it as I wrote the book, but I'm sure it was in the back of my mind.