Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED May 2011 BOM - The Mystery of the Blue Train

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4574 comments Mod
Originally published in 1928. Features Hercule Poirot. "Bound for the Riviera on Le Train Bleu, Hercule Poirot stumbles upon the body of an American heiress, murdered in her luxury compartment.

But her secrets have never been more alive. "

message 2: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments I can't wait to get to that one. I am not sure I've ever read it, though I have seen the film. Nevertheless, I need to get a copy of this one :D Looking forward to the discussion.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

I don't think I have it either Daga. I'll have to see if I can find it.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Noel (1972booklover) Great book, but then most of her are! :-) I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

message 5: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments 1972booklover wrote: "Great book, but then most of her are! :-)" I totally subscribe to it!!!

message 6: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments I've read it! So... I allow myself to say first two words.
Well, first of all, as I suspected I didn't read this one before so it was cool and fresh and sort of new (if it wasn't for the fact that I've seen the film before). Importantly that after The big four I could feel the returning of AC into shape, though still not at her best.
Anyways, I liked the story and found the writing and pace satisfactory. And of course Hercules Poirot makes always my day! So it's almost a perfect combination of the best detective ever (as he humbly calls himself), my favourite means of transport which is the train and in the end the high class society entangled into a mystery with its subtle and discreet actions, deeds and interests in a sunny Mediterranean coast. A good reading!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I think Christie thought that this was one of her worst stories.......but we, as avid fans will not agree. I have read this book and enjoyed it....but it takes place on a train, which like Daga, is my favourite means of traveling so the whole atmosphere is a perfect setting for murder and mayhem.

message 8: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I'll be starting tomorrow.

message 9: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanaerny) | 39 comments I have to find a library that has a copy first.

message 10: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
I'm going to start today.

message 11: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments So I'm waiting for you guys and your opinions.

Jill, you're right that as fans we blindly (sic!) accept every single word written by AC. Well I have already admitted that I disliked The big four and I guess that's why the impression of this book was positive in the end. I still had in my mind the disappointment with the previous book. Nevertheless, I wouldn't call it one of the worst, though certainly it lacks the sparkle of her brilliant writing. Yet still, it's a good craftsmanship. I shall do some digging on the background of writing of this book ;)

message 12: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments Oops...spoke to soon. I thought I had this one on the shelf. Time to go shopping.

message 13: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments jennifer wrote: "Oops...spoke to soon. I thought I had this one on the shelf. Time to go shopping." That will be very enjoyable shopping ;)

message 14: by carol. (new)

carol. | 32 comments I picked this one up awhile ago, and imagine my delight when I found it was a Poirot I had not read before! However, I must agree with Christie--maybe not her worst, but certainly not one of her best. Although part of it takes place on a train, quite a bit doesn't, and we don't meet up with our hero detective until quite late in the book. Maybe that was part of my disappointment. Overall, it didn't have as much of a Christie feel to me, although it was a decent enough mystery.

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "I finished this book 2 or 3 weeks ago (totally unrelated to this group, ironically, as I just joined GR yesterday, lol!). It is surprising that Christie felt this was one of her worst. This was m..."

This was my 2nd reading of this book too, and, I have to say that I really liked.

message 16: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I finished and would place it firmly in the middle of Christie's works- not one of the greats like And Then There Were None, but not a stinker either. It's a pretty solid Poirot and kept me changing my mind over "who done it".
Does anyone else think, if she believed this was one of her worst, she may have mulled over this murder-on-the-train plot for a couple of years and that Murder on the Orient Express was her do-over?

message 17: by Daga (new)

Daga | 44 comments jennifer wrote: "Does anyone else think, if she believed this was one of her worst, she may have mulled over this murder-on-the-train plot for a couple of years and that Murder on the Orient Express was her do-over?"
Interesting point. I wonder if there is any way to find it out. Hmm... maybe I need to do some digging.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Her autobiography leans to makeovers not outright but hinted.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinalc) | 19 comments I finished last night, and I must say I enjoyed this book. I agree that it isn't one of Christie's best, but I think it is still fairly solid. One review I read described it as "stylish," which I thought was accurate. Poirot was great (as always). There is also something special about a mystery set on a train. I thought this was solid, though not as sparkling as some of her later works.

message 20: by Denise (last edited Sep 28, 2012 12:51PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments I just finished this one (which I had read years ago, and didn't remember much about). As others have noted, I recently read that this was Christie's least favorite, but I don't really understand why. I thought that the first chapter was a bit awkward, and some of the writing style was not perhaps that great (using "So-and-so [can't remember which character it was] said with a grin" for two statements in a row seemed off to me). But the story was good, and I really liked Katherine Grey's character. Other things that I noted were the presence of Mr. Goby, who appears in at least one other novel. I love the way that he looks and talks to any inanimate object in the room, rather than the person! Also, Poirot's valet George - not sure if this was his first appearance. And I found it very interesting that Katherine lived in St. Mary Mead! I think this was before Christie started writing the Miss Marple series - I wonder if she and Katherine knew each other! I did love the elderly lady (Miss Viner, I think she was) that Katherine went to work for near the end. She seemed at first glance to be a grouch, but turned out to be a softie underneath!

message 21: by Carolyn F. (new)

I didn't even notice the St. Mary Mead reference! I'll have to check it out when I read it again. I'm so behind on our monthly reads!

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin Green | 47 comments I have just read this on my own in an attempt to catch up and have now enjoyed reading your group comments from a couple of years ago.
I enjoyed the novel but it didn't feel as good as a Christie can sometimes feel - does that make sense? The beginning felt clunky and unlike anything else she'd written. The St. Mary Mead ref made me smile as it shows this location was brewing in her imagination ready for Miss Marple. Voted: enjoyable but not her best.

message 23: by Carolyn F. (new)

This is a book of the month read for May 2018. Here is a link to that thread. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.