Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Series Discussions > Downside Ghosts - Stacia Kane

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 64 comments I am in the middle of the second book in this series, Unholy Magic. From the beginning it has bothered me how much of an addict the main character is...I am trying to decided if I should continue reading this series.

I usually like books when the main character is kick ass. I don't mind some vulnerabilities. Chess has this, but sometimes I get a bit tired of how dependent she is on the drugs. I think in my eyes it makes a little too weak for my liking.

So, my question, is it worth continuing? Does the character grow? Do the books improve?

Samina The Story Devourer  | 4 comments Hey, to be honest I am curious to know too. I am currently on the first book nearly to the end and was wondering is the book worth the effort as I have heard a lot of mixed comments about this. It has been good so far....

message 3: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) I made it to the middle of the first book and gave up. I didn't mind the drug use and everything, but everything was confusing most of the time, like I didn't know what the hell was going on most of the time, and I never understood what Terrible was saying half the time, so I dropped it.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 236 comments I didn't much care for the main character either and wasn't sure if I would read the rest of the series. But a Goodfriend told me it got better and she was right, I liked book #2 better and loved book #3. So stick with it, I think you'll like it.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 25 comments I never read the books yet but I've heard people talk about the main character and the drug use. I might have to give it a try.

Leslie Bhargava | 6 comments I really enjoyed all 3 books. She is an addict... it's not just 'use' for her, it's her life. The drugs continue throughout all 3 of the books.

message 7: by Samina The Story Devourer (last edited Mar 05, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Samina The Story Devourer  | 4 comments Hmm...Thanx a lot guys. I will continue with the series for now and give the 2nd book a go. Its been interesting so far and the drug use has'nt bother me much yet. Should I be worried that it has'nt....lol

message 8: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 64 comments It's funny. I don't know if its so much the drug "use" that bugs me, but more the situations it gets her into. She is in the position she is in, because of a crutch, not some noble cause. I guess that's the reality of an addict.

Mariya, I had trouble with Terrible talking at first, but after I awhile I got used to it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. For now I will stick with it!

message 9: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 64 comments Ok, I stuck with it and loved the third book! Read it all today.

message 10: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 46 comments I absolutely love this series. I might not have been completely convinced after the first book, but the series gets better with every book. By the time I finished the third I was completely hooked. I highly recommend reading these books.

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 236 comments The same think happened to me Cmkage. I didn't really care for the 1st book and told a Goodfriend that when she wanted to read it. Now it's one of my favorite series.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill | 111 comments I have loved all the books in this series and Terrible is my absolute favourite Urban Fantasy hero.

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 236 comments I love Terrible too.

message 14: by PepperP0t (last edited Oct 27, 2012 09:58PM) (new)

PepperP0t while her addictions bothers me a bit morally - what drives me insane is the dialog. i feel kinda not so smart that i have to translate the people of Downside like Terrible and Bump. so my problem is twofold, i feel like i'm cheering for the morally reprehensible people i wouldn't have in my everyday life and i'm pulled out of the story by the constant need to translate. i'm just finishing book three but still feel ambivilent about the series because of those two things.

however on a recommendation i got the first 3books and was gifted the last two of the series so i feel obligated to read them.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 236 comments The constant talking about drugs and using drugs - was really repetitive to me. Not so much moral outrage. But when I learn the reason she has to numb herself, oh my gosh it becomes understandable. She tried to just "get over it" with forgetting/not dwelling, but it kept flashing back and she'd have constant panic attacks. And with the world as it is in these books, it doesn't bother me much.

I understand what you mean about how you can like Terrible whose job is to beat up people. With the glimpses of his early life and how Bump saved him, yes one nightmare for another but the life he had when he was young was almost as bad as Chess', and the way he treats Chess, you find that there is a goodness in him, something redeemable. And if both of them had a champion when they were young, maybe their lives would have been different. In Terrible's part, maybe a champion who wasn't a drug dealing pimp.

message 16: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t I get what you're saying Carolyn - because the issues they've overcome just to function as they are makes me want to continue but i can't say i'm a fan of where they are.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I really dig the series. The addiction stays throughout. It's certainly a unique type.