readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > books for Asian kids and/or Asian adoptees

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Does anyone have any recommendations for good picture books about Asian kids growing up? This is probably a separate topic, but how about Asian adoptees (usually Asian kids raised by white parents).

-susie, who is now manning the info desk in the kids section of the library

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
American born chinese one shot

this one is really good - it is all about preserving the family heritage while becoming "american". i liked it,and it is on a lot of reading lists for middle and high schools.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Awesome. Thank you, Karen.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

This is maybe a little more of a bummer, but Home of the Brave by Allen Say is a children's book about Japanese interment during WWII. Really amazing art. I think many of Say's books deal with Japanese-American people.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Awesome. Thanks everyone!

message 6: by karen, future RA queen (new)

did any of these work out for you?

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Well, I'll be reading American Born Chinese soon for class. I haven't read anything else that was recommended because class has gotten in the way ironically. I will get around to it though

message 8: by karen, future RA queen (new)

that's cool!

message 9: by T.A. (new)

T.A. DeBonis | 1 comments I would specifically recommend THE MONKEY KING'S DAUGHTER series for young readers ages 7/8 to 12 -- it's exceptionally empowering for young girls as it offers them a young heroine they can identify with and call their own.
http://www.themonkeykingsdaughter.com/
Very strong on family values. The series is slated be developed into a TV show in China.