The Lucid Garden discussion

The City as fantastical setting

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.P. (new)

E.P. Shirleyjack | 2 comments Mieville seems to have a fascination with cities and uses the landscape of their unique neighborhoods, architecture, geography and sub-cultures. When the characters move from one neighborhood to another, they're almost walking into another county, but the City is also one unit with common leaders and problems.

What other authors or books use the topography of metropolitan living as a strong factor influencing the characters and plot? What else is out there that's more literally "urban fantasy"?

message 2: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (marisabuffy) | 2 comments That's a great point and a good question...no one exactly comes to mind. Gaiman's books are a little like that...but Mieville REALLY makes his urban settings rich and important to not just the setting but also the plot.
Walter Moers' The City of Dreaming Books has a really interesting setting/world--although a very different "flavor" from Mieville's.

message 3: by Raj (last edited Jun 15, 2011 04:14AM) (new)

Raj K-b | 1 comments I have noted the same thing - the city in his texts become not just the setting but a character in itself, living, breathing, loving and hating as well, and his characters seem to have this ambivalent relationship with that space or set of spaces in which they live. It's all very fascinating.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Eyles (eyles) | 4 comments I would guess that Viriconium by M John Harrison might be an influence? Stories where the city is a major living, breathing character.

message 5: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) Just started City of Saints and Madmen, by Jeff Vandermeer. I'm loving the rich atmosphere so far. It's kind of a city within a jungle atmosphere. Reminds me of the Amazon area in South America.