The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.6. Jennifer N's Task: It’s All About Australia and Oceania

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 05, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

Sandy | 16194 comments Mod
25.6. Jennifer N's Task: It’s All About Australia and Oceania

– Choose 2 of the options

1. Flooding in Australia has been widespread and devastating this spring. It has been the wettest spring on record. There has also been a devastating earthquake in New Zealand. Read a novel where the weather or a natural disaster has a significant impact on the plot or where one of the main characters works outdoors (such as farmer, rancher, builder). Example: Sing Them Home,The Grapes of Wrath, A Town Like Alice, The Poisonwood Bible.

2. Read a book by an author whose initials are found in the word AUSTRALIA – they do not have to be sequential - initials can be in any order, each initial in the word can only be used once in a name. For example, A could be used 3 times since it appears 3 times in AUSTRALIA, but S can only be used once.

3. Read a book that has one of the following words in the title: island, south, southern, open, down, under, out, back, coral, great, reef, gold, spring(s), opera, house, beach(es). Plurals, possessives, and words containing these words may be used.

4. Read a book that is set in Australia or another country in Oceania.

5. Read a book that is written by an author from Australia or other country in Oceania.

message 3: by Jennifer N. (last edited Mar 16, 2011 10:03PM) (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Not Approved

5. Scott Westerfeld

message 4: by Sandy (new)

reserved

message 5: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'd like to use Of Mice and Men for option 1, and Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea for option 2. L, A, and U are all in australia. do those work? thanks for your help! :)

message 6: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Would you accept Lord of Misrule for option 1? The main character is a horse trainer.

message 7: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments I suppose the eruption of a volcano would work for #1? I was thinking of Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce, where the imminent volcanic eruption plays a huge role in the plot.
What about Street Magic, also by Tamora Pierce? One of the main characters is a green mage, so his magic is with plants and he and his teacher are essentially gardeners, which usually involves a lot of work outdoors.

For #3 do translations of these words work? When going through the list of words Das Phantom im Opernhaus by Jan Beinßen sprang to my mind. Translated it would mean something on the lines of "The Phantom in the Opera". I'm trying to fit some of Beinßen's books into the challenge.

Otherwise I'll certainly be able to find an alternative. Thanks in advance.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments for 1 - would you accept someone who can manipulate the weather - I was thinking about Ill Wind - if not its cool

message 9: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments kiki wrote: "i'd like to use Of Mice and Men for option 1, and Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea for option 2. L, A, and U are all in australia. do those work? thanks fo..."

Both of these work.

message 10: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Gayla wrote: "Would you accept Lord of Misrule for option 1? The main character is a horse trainer."

Horse trainers work.

message 11: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Isabell wrote: "I suppose the eruption of a volcano would work for #1? I was thinking of Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce, where the imminent volcanic eruption plays a huge role in the p..."

All of these would work

message 12: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "for 1 - would you accept someone who can manipulate the weather - I was thinking about Ill Wind - if not its cool"

That works.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ohh goody! its a series that i've been recommended multiple times, so glad to try and fit it into the challenge - yay!!

message 14: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Jennifer N. wrote: "Gayla wrote: "Would you accept Lord of Misrule for option 1? The main character is a horse trainer."

Horse trainers work."

Thank you!

message 15: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "kiki wrote: "i'd like to use Of Mice and Men for option 1, and Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea for option 2. L, A, and U are all in australia. do those wor..."

thanks so much! :)

message 16: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Scott Westerfeld splits his time living in the US and in Sidney Austrilia, can I use him for an Australian author?

message 17: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments For those of you who also do Reading With style. Melina Marchetta is a top notch YA writer from Australia and her new book fits the PI task on RWS

The Piper's Son

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments i've not read that Melina Marchetta book, but Looking for Alibrandi - another book by her was one that i read several times growing up

Karen GHHS wrote: "For those of you who also do Reading With style. Melina Marchetta is a top notch YA writer from Australia and her new book fits the PI task on RWS

The Piper's Son"

message 19: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments The US publication date for The Piper's Son By Melina Marchetta is March 8, so it's really brand new. All of her other books are great. Other favorites of mine are Sonya Hartnett Margo Lanagan along with those more well known in the US- Markus Zusak, Scott Westerfeld and Justine Larbalestier

message 20: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1745 comments And I forgot John Flanagan whose Ranger's Apprentice series The Ruins of Gorlan is really popular with my students.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments I've read Sonya Hartnett - someone I find interesting who is gaining popularity in the US is John Marsden - his Tomorrow when the war began series has come up on several challenge recommendations recently - I remember reading it like over 10 years ago

message 22: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Would this book work for 4 : The Wives of Henry Oades. It seems like the first part is set in New Zealand and the second in California.

message 23: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Jenn Renee wrote: "Scott Westerfeld splits his time living in the US and in Sidney Austrilia, can I use him for an Australian author?"

Jenn Renee - I wasn't sure about this author but I wanted to follow what Sandy would say so I posted the question in the 10.7. Kuddle a Koala? thread to see. She said no, so I will go with her answer. - see below

Jennifer N. wrote: "Jenn Renee wrote: "Scott Westerfeld splits his time living in the US and in Sidney Austrilia, can I use him for an Australian author?"

- Sandy, would you accept this author as an Australian?"

I researched what I could find about him, and it doesn't seem as if he's an Australian, but rather someone who stays there for part of the year. He was born in the US and lives in NY, although it says he "splits his time" - doesn't seem to me like he considers himself an Australian, so much as a frequent visitor.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments Jennifer - what is your stance for part 2 where a book has 2 authors - one who's initials fit and the other which doesn't...I wanted to read Warrior's Cross - written by Abigail Roux and Madeline Urban (they are a common writing pair in the one romance sub-genre I read and write characters 50/50)...Abigail's name fits, but there is no M for Madeline

message 25: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Jennifer - what is your stance for part 2 where a book has 2 authors - one who's initials fit and the other which doesn't...I wanted to read Warrior's Cross - written by Abigail Roux..."

I'm going to say no for this one. All of the authors initials need to be in the name.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments blah...oh well, i'll fit it in somewhere else...now to see what else I have...i thought this one was just Abigail Roux, and then I saw the other name

message 27: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments For part 2 I was wondering if Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman would work. I know his initials work but want to double check because it is a graphic novel.

message 28: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Lahni wrote: "For part 2 I was wondering if Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman would work. I know his initials work but want to double check beca..."

This is fine as long as it meets the minimum page requirements. I don't know if it is different for a graphic novel vs. regular novel. I'll see what I can find out.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "Lahni wrote: "For part 2 I was wondering if Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman would work. I know his initials work but want to dou..."

the rules for graphic novels are no different than for "regular" books.

message 30: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Sandy wrote: "Jennifer N. wrote: "Lahni wrote: "For part 2 I was wondering if Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman would work. I know his initials ..."

Thanks Sandy.

message 31: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Any ruling on my question: Post 22?

message 32: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments KSMary wrote: "Would this book work for 4 : The Wives of Henry Oades. It seems like the first part is set in New Zealand and the second in California."

This looks really good. It will work. I've just had to add it to my TBR list.

message 33: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Beth NC wrote: "Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is not officially part of the series but is a collection of short stories about Harry Dresden from the series...."

Which option are you wanting to use this for?

message 34: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "Beth NC wrote: "Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is not officially part of the series but is a collection of short stories about Harry Dresden ..."

Sorry, I think the flu has gone to my head. I put this in the wrong task ........

message 35: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Is it ok to use Peter Carey for option 5 as he was born in Australia, although he now lives in the US?

message 36: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Wendy UK wrote: "Is it ok to use Peter Carey for option 5 as he was born in Australia, although he now lives in the US?"

That's fine.

message 37: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Thanks

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Would Second Chance Pass work? The hero is a building contractor.

message 39: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Melanie wrote: "Would Second Chance Pass work? The hero is a building contractor."

I didn't see anything in the description about him being a building contractor but as long as he is that is fine.

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Would Second Chance Pass work? The hero is a building contractor."

I didn't see anything in the description about him being a building contractor but as long as he..."

Well, that's his job anyway:-) He started off doing construction work, and now owns the company!

message 41: by N. (new)

N. (nonodisco) | 203 comments Initials-wise, how do you feel about hyphenated names like Leopold von Sacher-Masoch?

message 42: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Nonodisco wrote: "Initials-wise, how do you feel about hyphenated names like Leopold von Sacher-Masoch?"

I'll treat Sacher-Masoch as one name so S would work.

message 43: by N. (new)

N. (nonodisco) | 203 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "Nonodisco wrote: "Initials-wise, how do you feel about hyphenated names like Leopold von Sacher-Masoch?"

I'll treat Sacher-Masoch as one name so S would work."

Excellent! Thanks.

message 44: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Would Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption work for option #4?

From the description it sounds like the book begins with a plane crash in the south Pacific, but it doesn't specify exactly where. I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know if the setting really matches up with this challenge...

message 45: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Rachel Renee wrote: "Would Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption work for option #4?

From the description it sounds like the book begins with a plane crash in the sout..."

I don't think it will work for location unless you can provide a more specific idea of where it is taking place but it would work for option 1. I found this in the description:

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater.

That sounds like the weather played a significant role in the story or that he was dependent on the land for survival.

message 46: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "Rachel Renee wrote: "Would Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption work for option #4?

From the description it sounds like the book begins with a ..."

Ah, thanks! That works just as well.

message 47: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Hi,

For option 1, would 33 Men Inside the Miraculous Survival and Dramatic Rescue of the Chilean Miners work? It's about the Chilean mine collapse last summer. I'm not sure if a mining disaster counts as a natural disaster, but the structural capability of the mine played a large role. Thanks!

message 48: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Hi,

For option 1, would 33 Men Inside the Miraculous Survival and Dramatic Rescue of the Chilean Miners work? It's about the Chilean mine collapse last summer. I'm not sure if a ..."

I'll take it. It sounds interesting.

message 49: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "Jayme VA wrote: "Hi,

For option 1, would 33 Men Inside the Miraculous Survival and Dramatic Rescue of the Chilean Miners work? It's about the Chilean mine collapse last summer. ..."

Thanks! It actually was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be- I recommend it!