Runs with scissors discussion

Book Group Reading > Alanna: The First Adventure

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments First off, I want to point out that this book was written by a Good Reads author, Tamora Pierce. It is the first in a quartet chronicling the adventures of Alanna, a young girl who wants to be a knight. Her twin brother wishes to be a sorcerer. As the twins approach their 11th birthday, their father sends them to special schools, Alanna is destined for the convent and a life of magic and Thom is destined for the palace and life as a warrior. The twins switch places and Alanna becomes Alan and the adventure begins.
I chose this book as my choice for strong woman month because Alanna, disguised as a boy, must overcome a lot of adversity in her quest for knighthood. The boys are stronger and larger than she is and yet she finds the heart and courage to persevere.
This book is a quick read, I read it in one sitting! Thanks for recommending it to me Kim, this is my third time through and I still just love this story!
For those who don't know, and would like to, the other books in the quartet are:
"In the Hand of the Goddess"
"The Woman Who Rides Like a Man"
"Lioness Rampant"

message 2: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
You are welcome. I wish to add that Pierce has also written 2 quartets set in this world and uses Alanna in both and well as a duet about her daughter. I fell in love with these thanks to a summer child care job I had a few years ago. The oldest girl (12) loved them and kept taking them out of the library but not wanting to return them. I bought them for her for her 13th b-day that year and I like to think that she is still re-reading them now as an adult.

The entire world is very "go girl" type of message, but all the women have to go through very hard trials and nothing is easy. That is what I love about them, nothing is handed to them. They have to work for it, and they come out better for it in the long run.