Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Multi-book reading?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) Anyone out there read more than one book at a time? I find myself often having a book for different areas of my life, so to speak.

I'm currently reading (if you look at my book list) four books. This is slightly more than normal for me, but I rarely am just reading one book at a time.

There's one by my bed, for pre-bed or leisure reading, one that I carry out with me, for idle outside time such as when taking public transport, sitting on the beach or in a restaurant, etc. and one for (embarrassing to admit) the bathroom. I also currently have a free-floater, which I read whenever I'm in the mood for something more serious/informative than the other three.

Does anyone else ever find themselves in a similar boat?

message 2: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments I am the same Joyce ... I think that I have at least 4 books I am currently reading ... one for the bus, one for bed ... and one for the bathroom too ... I like it when I finish a book to know that there is another book somewhere in which I am at least half way through it ... which is for me usually when a story picks up its momentum. I usually have differnet genres going on at once ... but the weird thing which often happens is I often find similarlities between the books, for example a couple of books that I have just finished/am reading had/have character called Walter in them, and also my partner was engrossed in a miniseries (Breaking Bad) which had a Walt in it as well.

It is good to know that there are more multireaders out there.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Yeah....I'm currently reading about 3 books...My GR account will say 5 books...But 2 of them I haven't properly started.

I do have very different genres going on...One is for when I feel like reading (quick bits and pieces), one is when I want something naughty and the other is a murder mystery....The other two I've completely forgotten what they are about..Lol

But I actually don't like reading so many books, I find I'll pay attention to one book more and forget what was going on in the others..Unless I know the other books are light reads.

In general, I like to have a book on the go and some comics/graphic novels to read at the same time.

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) Dee-Ann: Interesting, about finding similarities between the books. I don't think I've ever thought to look for that sort of thing. I'll have to pay more attention to that from now on! And I agree with you about knowing there's another book already waiting when you've finished one. It's nice to be at different points in storylines.

Laura: My light reads are usually the ones by the bed and in the bathroom. I don't find as much genre variation between my books as I think some do, but there is a bit of it. Also, I find that if a book grabs me, it may earn overarching priority over all of the other books until I feel like I can put it down again.

I used to read comics/graphic novels, but find that it's too financially taxing to maintain at the moment >: We're on a tight budget, so I'm desperately trying to toe the line, especially considering how expensive a lot of graphic novels are here!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments @Joyce- Yeah, budgets and graphic novels/comics don't mix so well. For myself, I never buy them in Australia because like you mention they are very expensive here. I do all my shopping online at mycomicshop.com for comics and sometimes graphic novels. Shopping there for years.

message 6: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Laura wrote: "@Joyce- Yeah, budgets and graphic novels/comics don't mix so well. For myself, I never buy them in Australia because like you mention they are very expensive here. I do all my shopping online at my..."

Laura
Thanks for the online reference ... my boys are very keen on comics and this may help relieve the burden

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments @Dee-Ann, no probs :) Comic prices in the states are much cheaper than they are here. Oddly enough an order I made from them just arrived today.

Spider was in the package as well...I screamed LOL

message 8: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments a freebie huh?

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments lol yeah! freebie i could have done without..hahaha

message 10: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments was it still alive?

message 11: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) @Laura I would've screamed, too.

And yeah, when I went to the States recently, I loaded up on graphic novels to take home with me!

Thanks for the site, I'll have to look into it :]

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments @Dee-Ann, Yep! :s It was just a common spider.

@Joyce-Sweet! How long did you go for?
No worries :D Sometimes it pays to compair the price difference with BT though, as I've found graphic novels to sometimes be cheaper at BT rather than MCS.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I've been thinking about 'multi-book' reading actually, lately. Off the top of my head I'd say I'm reading one book at a time, but that's not true. My son and I read together a 'chapter-a-day' kind of thing, currently a collection of humorous essays - Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs. I read a bit to my husband every night, currently our first Wodehouse - The Cat-Nappers. I always have my main book, but sometimes I have two because one is too heavy to read in bed or is easy enough to read during the day with the distractions, and then of course I have a little book of poems in my handbag for emergencies and I also pick up picture books as soon as I get them home from the library and read through them. So, ok, I do read a bunch at a time. Heh.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I read books at a time :D

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69392 comments Mod
Nancy C. wrote: "I read books at a time :D"

What do you mean Nancy...did you leave a number out there?..lol

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

:)

message 17: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments At the moment I have five books on the go - different types - from historical to thrillers and two are historical 'text' books for research for my next book.
Couldn't help myself the other day but started another, which I have read a few times - it is more a comfort book than the need to read. I read it when my mind is tired just before sleep . . . zzzzzzz

message 18: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Nighty Night Geoff!

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I have a problem where I normaly have 3-5 books on the go.

I try not to, but I can't help it.

message 20: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Yeah, I sometimes do. In the past I'd have a non-fiction and a fiction or two that I would swap between depending on my mood.
Now I got my Kobo ereader last month I tend to have one ebook and one paperback on the go at anytime. Daytime and early eve I tend to go with the ebook and then read the paperback later in the evening.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Nicki wrote: "Now I got my Kobo ereader"

I find the ability to carry thousands of books at one time increases the amount of books I read at one time

message 22: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Knowledgelost wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Now I got my Kobo ereader"

I find the ability to carry thousands of books at one time increases the amount of books I read at one time"

Yes....I only got the thing about 4 weeks ago and already I have more than 10 books loaded on there waiting to be read. It has drastically increased my tbr pile!

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) When I first got my iPad I added 200 books onto it straight away.... a bit of an overkill

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

One book at a time. I can't handle any more. I'm not sure why that would be? Surely reading several books would be just like watching several TV series. But nah. I have tried in on a number of occasions and I hate it

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I usually read two or three at a time , one will be a big long complex kinda book and most of the time i cant take them in large sittings so i have other books to read in between one of my large books will usually take me 3 of my smaller less complicated ones (they are usually pretty light hearted easy reads some times ya ones that a friend will recommend to me) my big heavy books are usually long fantasies or sci fi's with many plots and characters

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "@Joyce- Yeah, budgets and graphic novels/comics don't mix so well. For myself, I never buy them in Australia because like you mention they are very expensive here. I do all my shopping online at my..."

I have been wondering were to get cheap graphic novels and comics from you have just helped me amazingly

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Melanie wrote: "I have been wondering were to get cheap graphic novels and comics from you have just helped me amazingly "

No probs :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

around how much do they charge for shipping? I couldnt quite understand the page?

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Melanie wrote: "around how much do they charge for shipping? I couldnt quite understand the page?"
It depends on how much is in your cart because of the weight.

I've spent anywhere from $12US+

If you've got an account..Go through it as if you'll place an order just to see the shipping costs.

(they used to have free shipping when you spent over $100US internationally..I LOVED it..very sad when they took that away).

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

ahh cool ok thanks

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments nw..i know it's a bit of a pest..i had the same probs way back.

site isn't working for me atm though..booo~!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

neither! dang nag it I wish to spend all my pay on comics!

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments bahhhhh~! stupid site. I neeeeeed to go buy some comic x(