Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How Prepared Are You For an Emergency?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I'm talking about something big, like a major earthquake or a long-time power outage.

Do you have emergency supplies in your car? How long could you stay in your house before you had to venture out for supplies?

Now that I think about it, I saw a movie about this but I can't remember the name of it or who starred in it. It was in the 90's and the father had to go out and try to get meds for the kid... Kyle McLaughlin? Or was it Matthew Modine? That movie made me think, but it was the riots that really drove home for me how important it is to be ready.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments We have a generator, water saved in two-liter bottles, and a woodstove that has a cooktop on it. I think we'd run out of animal food before we ran out of people food. I expect that it would be a winter storm that would take out the power/make traveling difficult. So we could put all the refrigerated stuff on the back porch.
If it's something like an apocalypse, I have plans for that, too. Phil's got it made with all the Mormons nearby with their bunkers.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Duct tape.

message 4: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Larry = MacGyver

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can work minor miracles with a paper clip.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments Carol wrote: "Phil's got it made with all the Mormons nearby with their bunkers."

Damn skippy! Everyone here has food storage somewhere. Of course they also have firearms and a lot of ammunition. They stocked up when President Obama was elected.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ugh.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments here i'm not really prepared for anything big. if necessary i'll probably go to my parent's house, which i can walk to in less than a day.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) On the road.

message 10: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i could take a shortcut, but i'd have to figure out how to cross a canal without a bridge.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael If you mean like a bad snowstorm type of emergency then I'm very prepared. If you mean like a nuclear explosion/Y2K thing/alien invasion type of emergency then I'm 100% unprepared. My plan in that type of scenario is to eat all the candy I have in the house and then run out into the street and have sex with the first panicked and willing woman I meet, assuming she isn't my neighbor whom I dislike so much that I wouldn't have sex with her even in that situation. After my new friend and I were finished with our encounter and had declared our newfound love for each other and shed our inevitable tears over the unfortunate hand we'd been dealt, I'd face my death with dignity.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "i could take a shortcut, but i'd have to figure out how to cross a canal without a bridge."

In the winter you skate.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) We're not prepared. I'd like to invest in a good water purifier.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Larry wrote: "In the winter you skate."

Or you could pole vault:

http://sportzfun.com/contests/dutch-c...

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There you go. All set for all seasons, now.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The world female record holder came out of that remarkably clean. That looks like fun.

I am not prepared for an emergency. I am the blind optimist that believes nothing bad will ever happen.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments But you seem to handle the occasional falling tree or invasive snake pretty well, Gail.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't consider the snake or the tree to be bad or an emergency. What I meant to say was I make no advance preparations for emergencies. :)

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
Very ill-prepared. I have about half a day's supply of water in my fridge, not a lot of canned goods, and if the ATM stops working not a lot of cash in the mattress, or gold bars. I'll be able to burn wood, and then books, in the fireplace for a few months. I can knit a few sweaters with the yarn I have on hand and barter them for food.

message 20: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jonathan wrote: "Larry wrote: "In the winter you skate."

Or you could pole vault:

http://sportzfun.com/contests/dutch-c..."

i have never tried to do that, and canals are too wide anyway, even if i was good at it. they're also never frozen over enough to skate.

message 21: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments The disasters in Japan right now are blowing my mind. I thought I was pretty prepared for any sort of emergency, but it doesn't matter if a tsunami has washed your entire town away. And on top of that you have to worry about nuclear fallout. Even I didn't think of buying a radiation suit.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I've been thinking about emergency prep more now with the Japanese thing...I need to prepare more.

message 23: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments At the very least everyone should have a bug out bag: a duffle or backpack containing a couple bottles of water, some food/snacks, some money, extra prescriptions, glasses, a flashlight, a pair of shoes, etc., placed near your door so you can just snatch it up and run. I created one after I fled from my dorm room at 3 am on a winter's night because there was a fire. Without my contacts or glasses, no shoes, in my PJs in 15 degree weather...

Now I have one in my car as well.

message 24: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Well, hindsight is 20/20. If I had gone to college in southern CA, I probably wouldn't have thought about creating a BOB because the possibility of freezing to death is impossible down here, unless you're in the mountains. All I had were my keys and the PJs on my back, which weren't even flannel. I felt like a total moron, being completely unprepared. I didn't even have change for the payphone to all home.

After the LA riots I really got into preparing for emergencies. I know if we have a huge quake/tsunami here in LA, it's going to be much worse. Most Californians don't think about preparing until AFTER we have a major quake. People loot and set cars on fire because the Lakers WON. I think the cannibalism would probably start the day after the disaster.