Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Wanting your opinion on an idea

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (last edited Mar 04, 2011 07:17PM) (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I just heard on Twitter that some romance novelists are printing trading cards (like sports teams -- only they have the book covers and the bio of the hero and heroine). I was kind of intrigued and thought I'd ask. I'm thinking my Dry Creek series might be a good one to develop some trading cards (would people like to see a photo of Mrs. Hargrove and her Charley? Linda at the cafe and her Jazz Man? The pastor and his wife, Glory?) As I see it each trading card would have a couple (with photos) on the back and the cover of the related book on the front. Most of the books are out of print except for ebook format. At this point, this is all an idea and I'm asking for some guidance as to whether it's worth doing. Give me your candid opinion. Thanks.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 138 comments I think that would be a very intriguing idea! I can only imagine what Mrs. Hargrove and Charlie look like. I think that sounds kind of cool!

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Im not really sure what trading cards are. I know some authors do book covers they give away or bookmarks with info of the book etc. I thinking trading cards are about the size of a playing card? It does sound like a good idea but how would it work. Would you hand them out. post them out? how would people get them. It does sound interesting. (full of questions not sure im much help)

message 4: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- those are some good questions. I was thinking I would hand them out at conferences and mail them to people who wanted them. You're right -- they are about the size of a playing card. This would work best if other Love Inspired authors also had cards. Then we could do contests (a reward if you have so many cards, etc.) -- at least, I think that's how kids use them.

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I know we have some here for some sports and kids and adult collectors then try to get autographs.
the other thing I guess too is with the books only on the shelf a short time would you have time to get the cards out in time? I guess one thing if there is the chance to get a set of cards for a series knowing there will be more with each new book could be a draw for some.
While I enjoy bookmarks I have more than I could ever use but they have been good ways to plug books too.
I have been sent book covers with books I have won and I know some readers love these and collect them but I sort of wondered what to do with them. The cards would be good if you could maybe make them into a pack of cards. like if other authors also did it and the front was similar the backs have the different card numbers and the pics.
I got some playing cards in hawaii at a national park and it has pics of national parks on the front of all the cards (same pic) and the back they have the different parks in america. I love them cos they have so many I want to see like Gettysburg, grand canyon a few in hawaii etc.
Of course if the cards are signed I know alot of readers would be interested im sure.

message 6: by JanetTronstad (new)

you have some good ideas, Ausjenny. I'm going to think more before I do anything.

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Im good at asking questions! Now I need to get back to a book im reading on my new kindle!!!!!!!!!!

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Mar 06, 2011 06:43AM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments I don't collect anything, and I even give my books to the library to sell to raise money for children’s programs at the library, after I read them (well I take out the dedication pages of the ones that have them though. Those are far too dear to my heart to give away!). I am a minimalist in decor and by nature I guess, so for me collector cards wouldn't be an item of interest, but I think I am in the minority. Most people are collectors of one or more things. I find that the things people collect most often are those things that evoke an emotion, or sentimental response, and books can bring out both of those emotions. I would give collector cards a go Janet! Your books and characters are loved by so many :)

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Im good at asking questions! Now I need to get back to a book im reading on my new kindle!!!!!!!!!!"

How are you enjoying your Kindle? :)

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I think it's a neat idea! Especially if they are signed and have a short bio or something attached to the card.

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

Hi all -- I've been meaning to look up this conversation and finally did it. I wanted you to know that the Love Inspired authors are using your comments and we're having Little Inspy Trading Cards at the Literacy event in New York City (part of the Romance Writers of America conference). I'm encouraging everyone to leave room for an autograph (I think you mentioned that jennifer). The grand prize for collecting all of our cards is a ticket to be entered into a drawing for a $100 Amazon gift card.

The literacy event is open to the public (proceeds are donated to groups working to promote literacy). Hundreds of authors have tables of books to sell (donated by the pubishers). We authors sit by our books and talk to readers. That's when we are going to give out the trading cards.

So, thanks for being a sounding board for us. We all appreciate it!

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I love there will be room for autographs thats part of the fun of collecting cards. This sounds so cool.

So wish I could have been there it would be so much fun.

message 13: by JanetTronstad (new)

I wish you could be there, too!! It's the last week of June in New York City -- great fun!!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I wish you could be there, too!! It's the last week of June in New York City -- great fun!!"

Darn! I will be in NYC in December!

message 15: by JanetTronstad (new)

oh, it would be fun if you were there in June, Jennifer.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Yeah it would, but thats the weekend I am taking one of two state test for getting my Teaching certification. Otherwise, I might seriously consider it! It would be a blast!

message 17: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, yeah, you've got to get your certification! I wouldn't want you to miss that. Did I tell you my niece is going to start the process of getting her certification for teaching? She's got a Master's in Music and now needs to get an education certification.

Janet Marie Dowell | 153 comments I Would love to collect the cards! I like to collect different things! Janet, If you decide to do this, when can we request them by mail and how much will the cards be?

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I just heard on Twitter that some romance novelists are printing trading cards (like sports teams -- only they have the book covers and the bio of the hero and heroine). I was kind of intrigued an..."

I think Trading Cards sounds like a wonderful idea!
Please keep us posted! =)

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

Thanks, Janet and Melissa -- at this stage they are humble offerings so, of course, don't cost anything. Let me see if I can put together some packets at the conference so people would get as many LI cards as we have at the conference (probably 30 or so). I'll let you know more on this later.

message 21: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm going to start a new discussion on this -- making the offer of the cards and seeing how many people want them. So check there, too.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I'm going to start a new discussion on this -- making the offer of the cards and seeing how many people want them. So check there, too."

Thanks Janet! looking forward to more info!

message 23: by JanetTronstad (new)

Melissa -- I put your name and Janet's name on the list I created of folks who would like a set of the cards (see the new discussion here).

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Melissa -- I put your name and Janet's name on the list I created of folks who would like a set of the cards (see the new discussion here)."

was there a link your comment above? =)
I will look for the new discussion, thanks!

message 25: by JanetTronstad (last edited May 28, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

I'm going to try to do a link. it is this discussion on this group --

Do you want to receive Love Inspired trading cards?

I'm not sure if it will go live, but it is one of the new discussion threads for this group. No, it didn't make a link.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I'm going to try to do a link. it is this discussion on this group --

Do you want to receive Love Inspired trading cards?

I'm not sure if it will go live, but it is one of the new discussio..."

I would love to receive some Love Inspired trading cards! thanks so much!

message 27: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh will go look for the new post.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Oh, yeah, you've got to get your certification! I wouldn't want you to miss that. Did I tell you my niece is going to start the process of getting her certification for teaching? She's got a Maste..."

How cool! Hope she will find a job after that. If it's hard there where she is at like it is here in Texas on teachers, then those programs are the first to get cut. Which are the wrong things to cut in the first place, but that's just my opinion.

Janet Marie Dowell | 153 comments I would love to receive some Love Inspired trading cards too! Thanks Janet!

Kimberlyisreading I have a library in my house... I love my Nook but some books I just have to own and I love to get them signed, but that opportunity is a rare one.

It touches my heart when an author has taken time to sign a book, cover, or etc and they mean a lot to me, so I'm in!
Thanks for all the work it takes for y'all to do this!