College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > E-readers... Your opinion

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara | 3 comments So, as college students, what do you think of e-readers. Do you like them, have one, want one, or hate them?

Personally, I think they are great. I've had an iPad for a while and recently got a kindle. I find that I read a lot more now.

Feel free to give your opinions.

Tara

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Moniz (portuguesechristian) I don't particularly like them, I'm kind of old school that way, I relish the sound of turning pages, and the different textures of pages. I find some book even smell familiar after a time (yea I'm crazy I know). Also I think it would give me a headache staring at a screen. Just sayin my two cents

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara | 3 comments I appreciate your comments.
Jessica, my best friend feels the same way. She loves the "feel" of books. I, however, dislike a lot of textures, and so some books really bother me. With an ereader I never have to worry about that.

Petra, usually ebooks are less expensive than regular books, or at least that is what I have seen with the kindle. Sometimes books on my ipad are the same price, but rarely more expensive. However, if they are it is the publisher's doing. It means that that particular publishing company is still resisting the ebook market.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I really dislike them.

I'm kind of old-fashioned when it comes to technology anyways. I hate touch screens. I prefer my big ol' analog tv to an HD flat screen. I prefer owning CD's rather than downloads. I prefer non-wireless mouses. And so on and so on. So when e-readers came out, I was automatically kind of annoyed. Do we need to spread technology to everything?

I also dislike them because I KNOW it means bookstores aren't getting as much business. I know several people who, now that they have an e-reader, only buy e-books and don't really go to bookstores anymore unless it's for a gift, or for a kid. And with B&N and Borders recent financial troubles, I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the e-reader has something to do with that.

I also noticed that not all e-books are cheaper than the real books. A lot of mass markets are still the basic $7.99. And in a lot of cases you'd save more just by bringing a coupon to a bookstore and buying the book there. I guess the savings are really touch-and-go.

AND despite all the reassurances, you're never 100% guaranteed to own an e-book forever. Hardware, software, internet, etc... it all can fail and you may lose everything, because an e-book isn't a tangible object. You can't really "own" it. Same with MP3 songs... your MP3 player can break, your computer can crash, the company you buy your downloads can crash, and then you're left with nothing. Whereas the only thing that can get rid of my books (or cds, for that matter) is fire, flood, or theft.

And lastly - I just like books. I like looking at them and holding them. I like collecting them and want to have my own personal library room when I have a house.

So YAY for real books. I'm definitely with the anti-e-reader movement.

message 5: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments I LOVE my e-reader. I was a bit sceptical at first (as in: do I really need another gadget?), but I absolutely love it.
It weighs practically nothing, so it's easy to take with me anywhere I go and fits in any purse I own. I have zero space for extra shelves left, so storing them on my computer is just more convenient. Especially if it's a book I'm not sure I'm gonna love.
I still buy books, probably as much as I did before I owned an e-reader.
For me it's really convenient that I can read the galleys I get from NetGalley for review on my e-reader instead of the computer: way less strain for my eyes.
And sure everything can crash, but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen any sooner than my house burning down or someone spilling a drink over my book or someone not returning a book after borrowing it from me.

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Sarah wrote: "Hardware, software, internet, etc... it all can fail and you may lose everything, because an e-book isn't a tangible object. You can't really "own" it. Same with MP3 songs... your MP3 player can break, your computer can crash, the company you buy your downloads can crash, and then you're left with nothing. "

That's kind of what back-ups are for though. All my files (not just e-books, but videos, music, pictures and documents too) are on an external hard drive, just in case.

Anyway, I have an e-reader but I don't really use it all that often. I've never paid money for an e-book, I only download classics (which is legal) and sometimes also new books, illegally (books I already own and want to read on my e-reader - I don't want to pay for the same book twice). I do think e-books are quite expensive. I don't know the exact numbers, but it seems like the profit margin on e-books is a lot bigger than on regular books. I'd rather pay a little more (or less, if you buy a book second-hand) to have an actual copy. There's just something about holding a book in your hands, rifling through it, the feel, the smell. I don't have that with anything else. I'm all for MP3s, I haven't bought a cd in years, but books are different.

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (annadevika) I'm torn about e-readers. Mostly, I want them to be like mp3 players. I buy a CD, load it onto my iPod, and then put the CD in my basement storage. That way I avoid the fear of having a mp3 player/computer/company crash (which has happened to me - my mp3 died and this was before I thought to backup my music other than just on my computer, which had recently needed a reset, so I lost about 1000 songs, luckily none of which I had paid for, but it still sucked). I emailed Amazon (as the Kindle had the highest ratings) about somehow allowing people to load books they own onto their e-readers without paying for it twice, and they said that's not possible yet, but they would forward my idea onto the development department. If that ever happens, I'm all on board for e-readers. Ideally I think you'd have to set up a system so that when you buy a book, you can say you'd like the e-reader download, and it could be emailed to you. I don't know what to do about books people already own - the problem is proof of ownership. (Ideas?)

I am intrigued by these free downloads, be they legal or not though... Nikki, if I ever get an e-reader I may message you about it.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (counttess) Straining your eyes isn't an issue with the Nook or the Kindle... it really and truly looks like a book. Also, there's talk about hardware failing, but books deteriorate over time, get spilled upon, get torn by a dog, etc. Honestly, I feel safer about my books being backed up on my hard drive.

In addition, they are actually files on my ereader. If I lose them on my computer for some reason, I can just pull them off of my ereader. If a service crashes, I don't lose everything. This is why I don't use iTunes or anything that attaches my files to an account, no thanks to that.

And finally, yes you can get books for free by illegally downloading them. People may complain about that, but quite frankly, it's the exact same as buying from a used book store or your friend handing you a book for free. The author/publisher isn't getting money directly from your purchase in those cases either.

I hate that bookstores are going away, but a lot of things do, and I believe it will be inevitable that many bookstores are going to close down. We already saw the fall of bookstores with the mass amount of online bookstores (Amazon, Better World Books, etc.) where you can buy books for better prices as long as you don't need instant gratification. Now, it's just taking it to another level.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I do, but I do absolutely love my ereader and I couldn't imagine not having it now.

Ralph Gallagher | 40 comments And finally, yes you can get books for free by illegally downloading them. People may complain about that, but quite frankly, it's the exact same as buying from a used book store or your friend handing you a book for free. The author/publisher isn't getting money directly from your purchase in those cases either.

No, no it's not the same. If I purchase a used book at a bookstore, there's a single copy of it. The original owner gave up their copy. I can buy an ebook and put it online, keep my copy, and 1000 people can download it. Authors and editors work long, hard hours writing the books you love reading, so don't fuck them over. Why should we continue providing you with entertainment if we don't get anything out of it? We have families to support too.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (counttess) I do buy books, I should restate that. I buy a LOT of books. Especially from authors who do it independently. I apologize, I didn't mean to sound like an arse, but SOPA and things like that going on lately are making me angry. Also, I don't like that ebooks cost more, I believe it is entirely unnecessary and no matter how it is put, it does not legitimize why ebooks cost the same and sometimes more as their print friends.

Publishers are great for what they do, they are. But sometimes, they don't seem to be very reasonable.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments ... This conversation is starting to take a not so nice turn...

message 12: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments Indeed. So maybe we should get back to the original topic?

I know I already posted in this thread about my ereader once, but really, I am so loving it! I think if I'd really keep track of all the digital versus physical books I've read this year, about 90% or maybe even more is digital. And it's just so convenient to take ALL the books I want to read with me everywhere I go!
Anyway, is anyone asking Santa for one? :)

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I'm not asking for one. (I already have one, lol) But my mom and I went in together and got my dad an iPad, and I downloaded the B&N ereader app onto it. He's been using his iPod to access the books I've downloaded. Reading them on the iPad will be a lot easier for him, he won't have to pull out his reading glasses. :)

message 14: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments My dad's getting an ereader too :) I didn't even know you could use your iPod to read books... I feel electronically challenged..

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments haha, I didn't either until I got bored one day and tried downloading the app onto my iPod touch, and it worked! So I installed it on my dads iPod, even though he isn't much of a reader. I was shocked when out of nowhere he asked a random question about the characters in a book. It took me a full ten seconds to figure out how he knew about that book.

message 16: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I have the iBook app on my iTouch and I use it as much as I do my eReader. I have the Kindle app which I use for freebies that I can't get on my Sony reader. I would love to get a new eReader but I'm trying to refrain since the one I currently have is working well. It's hard, especially with all the new ones.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 61 comments I don't have an eReader or an iPod, but I'm interested in trying it. I have a long commute on transit and I find myself bringing three to four books in my bag on top of my school books every day. I was worried about the headache factor for an eReader, but it sounds like it's a viable option if only for convenience.

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments If you get one of the ereaders with eink, meaning it's not backlit, you won't get the headaches. I love having my nook to travel with, so many books and I don't worry about damaging my hard copies. :D

message 19: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Also with eInk you have little to no glare in the sunlight.

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 61 comments Thanks for the information about the eInk. I also had never thought about saving my hard copies from damage. I think I'm sold.

message 21: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Nullifidian wrote: "I got my Kindle last night and set it up, and my first impression isn't a good one.

It may only weigh "less than 6 ounces" as they claim, but in tablet form there's no convenient way to hold it, s..."

I'm sorry that you're having problems with yours. Which Kindle did you get?

message 22: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments I hope it is as well! I'm sorry you're not liking it so far! I had to get used to mine, but now I love it and read much faster on it than I do physical books.

message 23: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Mhhh interesting. I was thinking about getting that one. Right now I have the Sony PRS 600 and it is a touch screen so I don't have any navigation problems. Like you said, you might not be used to it yet. Maybe you need a bigger eReader. But either give it more time and play with it.

Mary Beth (tinybookfort) (marybethphelps) While I don't like the idea of e-readers completely replacing paper books, I do think they are pretty cool and have quite a few pros. I'm planning on buying a Sony Reader Wi-Fi next month (thoughts on this e-reader, anyone?) because I'd like to be able to read books from Smashwords and other sources without having to read them on my laptop (last time I did this I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out of my head). I do not plan on abandoning paper books, however. Not in the least :) I'm way too attached and will always love perusing through used book stores or waiting on books I ordered to arrive in the mail. Finding boxes of books on my front porch feels more Christmas-y than Christmas itself :)

message 25: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I have the SONY PRS 600 (the model before wifi one). I've played around with wifi model and I really like it. I would love to get one when I have some cash. My only complaint is that I don't like the new material that they made it with, its too glossy. And I don't like that it doesn't have partial refresh yet (the 'page' blinks every time you turn them') like the Kindle and Nook. However, I love the layout on the new home page, the internet is a good speed, they have more dictionaries than I would need (but I'm not complaining!) and the PDF format is great.

Mary Beth (tinybookfort) (marybethphelps) Thanks for the info, Sashana! Of course, I feel like a bit of a jerk because I didn't end up getting the Sony Reader Wifi. I tried making a purchase from the Sony website and it didn't go well. At all. So I bought a Kindle, lol. I'm really excited, though, and it's going to be here FRIDAY!! So, so excited!

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (petitenova) I absolutely despised eReaders until I tried out the new Kindle Fire. I actually enjoy using it and ended up purchasing one for Christmas. Unfortunately though the majority of the books I want to read aren't available due to publication limitations, so now I'm just using it for school books.

message 28: by Ana (new)

Ana | 65 comments I was one of those people who said I would NEVER get an e-reader, but I got a Nook from one of my family members for graduation, and I love it. It's really convenient for reading at night or on the bus (I read anytime, all the time), especially since I tend to read larger books. I would have loved to have it when I was lugging Stephen King's The Stand around lol Plus, I really don't have space to store all of the books I would have been buying anyway, and since I got it as a gift it's a lot cheaper, since ebooks are usually less expensive. I still love to hold a book in my hand though, so with my favorite authors I'll still buy a physical copy.

message 29: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) I, too, said I would NEVER get an e-reader, but then my parents got me the Nook Simple Touch for Christmas and I just recently finished reading my first book on it. Now, I'll always prefer physical books, but reading on my Nook was better than I expected. I still live at home, and for the time being, I am out of room for books, so it is nice to be able to have all that space on my Nook.

Despite that, I don't think having a Nook will affect my buying physical books. My goal is to still purchase physical copies of those books that turn out to be counted among my favorites, just leaving the mediocre ones off of my actual shelf.

I don't think I'll ever be one of those people who solely e-reads, though. I just like actual books so much--they're pretty, let's be honest haha. The pages, the smell, the covers, the weight...you all have heard it all before.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Jess, I'm with you on most of what you said. I wanted the nook for traveling purposes. When I go home for the weekend, I'll take four or five books so I have options (really, it's kind of like that one episode of Gilmore Girls where Rory is having a hard time fitting all of the books in her backpack, then she can't get her French book in). Here the nook comes in. I bring the nook and I have four or five hundred options. I definitely still buy actual books. I've noticed some tendencies and preferences. I don't like buying scholarly non-fiction books on my nook. I don't like buying classics on my nook. But I will buy lighter, fluffy books on my nook.

message 31: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) I'm surprised at how much I like my nook--I'll even read on my ipod and smart phone if I'm in the middle of something on it, and accidentily left it at home, or finished my physical book already. I prefer physical books for many reasons, most of all the ability to lend and give my books away. With ereaders that has vanished. I get a lot of my books second hand and from BookMooch. Recently it's become that if a book I want to read is not available to borrow or trade, I'll see if the PB, HC or ebook is cheapest. It's a little more time consuming, but I'm actually reading more.

I feel uneasy buying an ebook for 8 or 9 dollars though because I'll usually only read it once before archiving it. It used to be I could buy books guilt free. If I didn't want to read it, I could off-load it easily. Now the samples are often just not long enough to tell me enough about the book, and I'll be in the bookstore skimming through it any way. I think the entire ereading experience will improve as the years progress, and in moving to Europe this year I see myself buying more ebooks as that will almost always be cheaper than importing them.

That being said, nothing beats my nice Hard Cover copies of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter which I reread and flip flop through at leisure, with pleasure. Ebooks will never replace Print books, but I can see a large increas in print on demand, and perhaps in the future books will first release to ebook where performance will be judged by publishing houses, and they will be shipped to smaller print-on-demand bookstores. (I like to think that one day we can walk to a kiosk and request a particular reprint of our favorite books. They may become pricier, but if we're more picky, wouldn't that be alright?)

message 32: by Marian (new)

Marian (mariankrick) I have a kindle and I really love it. I got it over the summer and I find that I'm reading a lot more this year than I did my freshman year. It helps that my local library rents out kindle books and that amazon has such good deals sometimes.

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments My husband and I swore we wouldn't get an ereader. After our lives bagan to change with having a child who is now 7 months and loves to grab at the pages while I am reading, we decided to get a nook. I do love the practicality of it and the ease of knowing my books are now safe. I have noticed that even though I love my nook, I find that in the evening when my son is asleep, I find my self with a good old fashioned book. An ereader wont replace books in this house seeing how between the two of us we own over a thousand books.

message 34: by Mykee (last edited Mar 07, 2012 04:28AM) (new)

Mykee  Tan  (chineseveganboy) | 28 comments I used to be opposed to the idea of using e-readers and always thought that they were unnecessary. Like most others, I like the feel and smell of actual books and used to think that using e-readers to read was sacrilege. Lol.

But my opinion has changed since then. I find them to be really practical now and quite fun to use. Plus, it's cheaper in the long run and also solves the problem of my cluttered condominium full of books scattered on the floor. Of course, I still read actual books, but I use my Kindle Touch when I don't want to carry around so much stuff.

I think the lack of a back light really helps a lot to give a more authentic feel to e-readers. It's also important to me that I have a basic e-reader without all the apps and videos and games and all the useless paraphernalia which some e-readers have, because then, it would be more of a toy than an actual reader if that were the case.

message 35: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) Mykee, I agree concerning using the non-backlit ereader, but I find myself drawn to a tablet reader (maybe the vox) because there are many books I can't get because there are some pictures--and I'd like to be able to have the nook, google and kindle reading apps... I rooted my nook touch to do this, and it's working, but its not meant to be used as a tablet reader and it shows. But I have the nagging feeling that reading on the Vox is not going to be as enjoyable.

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber (hippiefemme) I read the second and third "Hunger Games" books through Kindle, partly on through the computer app and partly on my iPhone. I love e-readers!

Most people think that I'm anti-e-readers because my master's is in library science, but that's not the case. Anything that gets people reading is a-okay in my book. Plus, if patrons want instant gratification with their reading--which e-readers afford--they can probably borrow an e-book directly from the library's website. That way, you're bringing people into the library to sign up for cards and getting them to see what's new at the library every time they load the website to search for a book. Libraries offer so much more than physical books, and I think e-books are a great example.

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashtheviking) I was opposed to ereaders when they first came out and I will always prefer holding a physical book but they are a lifesaver for an avid reader who travels. I moved from Canada and my large several hundred book home library to Norway with only a couple suitcases for 2+ years. There was no way I could bring any books but those that were essential for school. English books here are often twice the price as they are at home and I just could not afford to keep up my reading if I didn't use a Kindle. When I return home though I plan on putting it away.

message 38: by NeednKnow (last edited May 15, 2012 12:01PM) (new)

NeednKnow | 7 comments I wasn't fond of e-readers for the same reasons as some of you... actual books feel better, bookstores will get even less business, etc.

Before anyone assumes otherwise, I am a book collector. My dream isn't to own a large house just to own a large house, but for my personal library. I've always loved the smell of books, and I can spend hours at B&N or the library. I want to be a dictator just to own the Library of Congress.

I have a Kindle. For convenience--you can store many, many books on it, and size. Am I afraid to lose my books? It's cloud data, and just because someone has an e-reader, does not mean they will invest everything into it and then wind up losing more. I am prepared for it, but I am more terrified of losing my actual hard copies. Because when I lose those, no one is going to reimburse or send me another copy. On the other hand, if I lose my Kindle, my Cloud Kindle, with all my purchases, is still there, unless Amazon shuts down or something.

I'm going to contradict myself for a minute: there was a case where Amazon deleted everyone's 1984 copies because it was found to be an illegal eBook, but they restored everyone's copies eventually. Sure, it's scary they can wipe the book from your Kindle without your notice. And I've even read where Amazon completely erased one of their customer's account, due to some hacking or some part on their error.

So you can really lose all your eBooks, is what I'm saying.

But I still bought an eReader. Why? For convenience, if I don't want to read this book, I can go to my virtual library and get another one.

It bothers me... it seems like a lot of you are afraid of technology. I can argue that books kill more trees, but trees are actually renewable sources, so I can't use that. Space? You can always resale an actual book for a couple of dollars, unlike eBooks.

It seems like everything I say is an argument against myself... lOl. I'm still pretty satisfied with my Kindle.

P.S. On a totally different note, there are tons of independent publishers who offer free eBooks. But these so-called novels are rough to read, with bad grammar, some of them are even offered in print and I'm like, "Who would agree to print THIS? You can't even use correct contractions!" And it makes me mad... I've made eBook versions of my own book, and I gotta tell you, it was super easy. And it's super easy to edit my own works. But that's just me. I understand not everyone wants to reread their own stories. (But really? To me, a book is only worth it if it's good enough to be read the second time around.)

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Furger (librarian_witch) I, like many others posting here, was skeptical of all E-readers, at first. I ranted and raved about the death of print and trembled at the thought of losing my precious bookstores; but two years of dorm life 400 miles from my 400+ hardcopies of books changed that. My parents bought me a Kindle keyboard for Christmas, and I have to admit that I love it. While I still read hardcopies of things, I have my Kindle with me everywhere; I love that I can transport a library with me anywhere I go and I love that I can buy new books even in my fairly remote and semi-rural hometown without going to the store.

Of course I still go, because nothing beats the smell of a book or the feeling of pages between one's fingertips. But the Kindle is great! E-readers are A-OK in my book.

message 40: by Tara (new)

Tara | 3 comments I actually like the ereaders because of the way THEY feel. I am really sensitive to texture and certain paper really bothers me. ( Odd, i know.) I also really like that with my iPad or kindle I never have to commit to one book. I can start reading one and then in the same sitting, switch to something else.

Another thing, I've actually been able to buy or rent college textbooks with the kindle and on some iPad apps. Ends up costing a lot less and I don't have to carry a ton of school books around.

message 41: by NeednKnow (new)

NeednKnow | 7 comments http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2012/05...

Here's a great article on eBooks, somewhat.

message 42: by Aryn (new)

Aryn (aryn007) I love my kindle. It fits right inside my purse or backpack, great for reading on the subway or in long lines at auditions. If I feel the sudden need to cross-reference a book or read a passage out loud to a friend, I can do it in a heartbeat.

Also, if I spill food on it, I can wipe it away...so there's that.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I have had my kindle for over 3 years now I think and I absolutely love the convince of it but I'm about to move cross country and my love is a little bittersweet. My kindle has only slightly curtailed my book buying habit so in two years at my apt I've filled several shelves most of which will be going to a garage sale. I love that I have read some great books on my kindle and are able to take 90+ books with me all nicely packed in one book. However, I also enjoy giving books away to friends to lighten my shelves and as I was going through my books I realized that there are many books on my kindle that I wish I could pass on. I guess it is a small price to pay but I hate conversations like this "oh, that totally reminds me of a book I just read" "really what's it called?" "The disappearing Spoon, I think you would love it!" "Awesome, could I borrow it sometime?" "Sorry I read it on my kindle." "oh bummer".

message 44: by Aryn (new)

Aryn (aryn007) Yeah, I've had the same problem :(

message 45: by NeednKnow (new)

NeednKnow | 7 comments Kindle (I think other eReaders can do the same) has a lending option. As long as your friend has an e-mail with Amazon (or other lenders), you can loan them the book. And I'm pretty sure that eReader apps are free (I know Kindle and Nook for Windows/Macs are free). They can read it as long as they have computer access. And after that, about a certain amount of time, the book pops back up in your library (you can't read it or anything while it's on loan), but it comes back to you good as new, whereas hardback copies might get a little bent or so.

message 46: by Aryn (new)

Aryn (aryn007) Oooooh, that's nifty! I will have to look into that.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I think I looked into that for a few books and lending is only enabled on specific titles. It's something though I suppose.

message 48: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 65 comments I used to be against the idea of an eReader ... before I got a Nook. I was given a Nook as a gift and was told by the giver that I needed to enter the 21st century.

I buy all of my books for class (many, since I'm an English major) as tangible, page turning books because the highlighting and note taking capabilities on my Nook are far inferior to what I can do with a pen and a margin.

I have not bought a lot of books for my Nook, but the books that I have purchased have been professional development books. I can make solid notes, so I can quickly refer to them later.

I think there are pros and cons to each side of the argument, and I'm interested to see where each will end up in the years to come.