Victorians! discussion

Buddy Reads > Wives & Daughters, Ch. 6-13

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments Post your comments for this section of the book. Spoilers for this section of the reading may appear here.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) In Chapter 6, Molly visits the Hamley's due to her father's thinking that one of his apprentices is in love with his daughter, so he lets Molly stay with the Hamley's for that reason. She becomes very attached and is a companion to Mrs. Hamley. Squire Hamley and Mrs. Hamley talk constantly about Osbourne and Roger. Osbourne seems to be like his mother, and Roger is more into science and exploring. They are both away at college.

message 3: by Silver (new)

Silver I happened upon a poll that was posted in a Gaskell group asking Who Your Favorite Gaskell Heroine was, and Molly currently was in the lead, but I have to say I don't see it. Thus far I much prefer Margaret from North and South. Though I do not dislike Molly, I do find it a bit annoying the way in which she is constantly on the verge of tears.

I have to say that I love the Squire Hameley. I find him to be quite an amusing and interesting character.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, Molly seemed to be bitterly opposed to whatever was happening to her. I have seen Wives and Daughters on dvd. and Justine Waddel played an excellent Molly. Margaret is good, she is much more mature since she is older. She comes across as more likeable. But I guess we are looking at the standpoint of a younger girl and a maturer woman in these two books.

message 5: by Silver (new)

Silver Robin wrote: "Yes, Molly seemed to be bitterly opposed to whatever was happening to her. I have seen Wives and Daughters on dvd. and Justine Waddel played an excellent Molly. Margaret is good, she is much more ..."

I believe Margaret started out quite young within the book. I think she herself was under 20, she just seemed more mature because she did not have a father who indulged her childishness, bur rather one she herself had to take care of.

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver It seems to me that there are frequently these sort of Freudian like relationships between daughters and fathers in Victorian literature. In which the daughters become overly attached and overly affectionate with their fathers, and do in some ways take the role of a wife figure within the household. Often becoming jealous of other women who may threaten to "replace" them. Or themselves forswearing marriage because they do not want to leave their fathers.

I cannot decide yet what to make of Mrs. Kirkpatrick. I can understand her feelings in regards to girls considering she had to spend so much of her life dedicated to looking after girls, and it seems getting little in return as her school has been doing poorly. It might start to wear upon one after awhile.

She does seem to be trying though perhaps at moments a bit too hard but I think she does want to make a success of the marriage but I think she may also be in for a bit of a surprise and may be disillusioning herself a bit, being that her idea of marriage is to thus live out a life of luxury, but with Mr. Gibson being such a practical and economic man and though not poor, not so very rich, I think that Mrs. Kirkpartirak may find the life not what she expected.

As she already has ideas very different from that of Mr. Gibson about how to proceed and what she thinks ought to be done.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I think Dr. Gibson, while his motives were good at first, for Molly to call her step-mother Mamma, she just about had a hissy fit. Like you say, Silver I do see the tendency to become a wife-figure that Molly has become. When Dr. Gibson had new decor in the rooms, Molly wanted to keep her room the same way it always has been. So their is a little rebelliousness on her part. I think Mrs. Kirkpatrick thought this was going to be a easy transition into being a country doctor's wife. She doesn't seem to me as a maternal figure.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I am not quite finished with this section, but one can already see the "fireworks forming" on the home front once this marriage is consummated. It is definitely a marriage of convenience on both sides, love has nothing to do with it. I wonder why it has taken Dr Gibson so long to find a wife? Surely, Molly needed a mother before she reached the age of seventeen.

Right now, I am not looking favorably on Mrs Kirkpatrick. She has sent her own natural daughter away, so I really can't see why or how she will handle a new stepdaughter.

Of course, Molly's reaction is over the top. She has been the apple of her father's eye so I can assume her behavior is one of jealousy. It looks to be a tumultuous time ahead for this family. I am not sure how Cynthia will fit into all of this either.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver I presume that the reason why Dr. Gibson had not married up until this point is for one because he had no idea whom he could possibly ask to marry within the town as well as the fact that it seems up until the Coxe incident nothing had really come about or happened to stress the point to Gibson that importance of having a mother figure. But after the awkwardness of what to do about Molly in that event and having to send her away, it forced him more in the position of realization that something needed to be done to prevent such things in the future.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) And I think others telling him that he should consider remarrying for Molly's sake. And then he chanced on meeting Clare again, and she was ready to marry again. And also when redecorating the house, Molly had to voice her concerns that she didn't want her room changed.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 923 comments I guess I'm the devil's advocate here. I don't like Mrs. Kirkpatrick. She represents everything that is superficial about women's lives in this time period. I understand her need to marry again because her options of self-employment were limited and not lucrative enough to make a good living, but she's so concerned over so much fluff.

I didn't think Molly reacted over the top at all. Don't we all have some old "heirloom" piece that reminds us so much of that loved person who is no longer with us? It's the same for Molly. Her room is the one thing she has left from her biological mother. Plus Molly has been so sheltered that she's not been given the tools to be very accepting of change. Her dad likes things a certain way, and she's adjusted to that. Now, without any warning, her role at home (which is her whole life) has changed. She has no other role but daughter and caretaker of her father and she has just been replaced.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I know I personally didn't care for Molly's room to be decorated against her wishes, and she did want to keep her mother's furniture, was it the bed? Anyway, she literally had the rug pulled out from under her. I see Mrs. Gibson as a manipulator as well.