Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Queen of Shadows--March Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments What I liked:

- The setting. As a Texas resident, I really loved what Sylvan did with vampires in Austin. Also loved the fact that the heroine ordered Shiner instead of crappy piss beers, lol.

- The characters. I fundamentally like both David and Miranda, so it's easy to get invested in their story.

- The training. I like the fact that Miranda really has to work to develop her abilities--she's not one of those heroines who just magically downloads new, badass powers every time she needs them.

What I didn't like:

- Honestly, this could go either way, but this book reads much more like PNR than what I think of as UF. I have no problem with that, but if a reader is hoping to avoid romance tropes, this isn't the place to look.

- The gang rape. I could have prepared myself by reading reviews ahead of time, but I didn't. As a result, I found the rape scene in this book really upsetting. If I had known about it ahead of time, I might have been prepared, but I wasn't--and I was really taken aback.

I do think the author handled the aftermath with sensitivity, but I also don't think the rape scene was entirely necessary to begin with.

- Lines about prophecies dropped in that are obvious to the readers, but not to the characters. They seem a little daft for not acting on info they've been given.

Overall, I gave it 3.5 stars and will look forward to reading the next in the series.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Was the rape scene described in detail? I've been hesitant to pick this one up because of that... if it is detailed, I won't be reading it.

Thanks in advance for letting me know...

message 4: by Mariya (last edited Mar 06, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments It's hard for me to remember, but it didn't bother me like I thought it would. I didn't think that the rape scene was that bad though.

message 5: by Darcy (last edited Mar 06, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Theresa wrote: "Was the rape scene described in detail? I've been hesitant to pick this one up because of that... if it is detailed, I won't be reading it.

Thanks in advance for letting me know..."

It has been a while since I read it, but I don't think so. I think what made it more disturbing was you thought/hoped that she was going to be saved, so it was all the more shocking that it happened.

Part of the fun of this book is watching David and Miranda circle around each other, neither one of them not sure what to do about their feelings for the other. The other fun of this book was the world that is built, one that has violence at it's core, yet an odd geeky vibe with all the technology that if it was possible would be cool to have.

I really thought this was one of the better 1st books I have read in a long time.

message 6: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments yea. even though this seems more of a PNR to most when labeled as an UF the author declared that the first would be more of an PNR while book 2 would be more UF. I am curious to how book 2 is gonna turn out.

message 7: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Theresa wrote: "Was the rape scene described in detail? I've been hesitant to pick this one up because of that... if it is detailed, I won't be reading it.

Thanks in advance for letting me know..."

It's a short scene, and there aren't a whole lot of details. I really think part of the problem for me was that I just didn't know it was coming. I was really loving the beginning of the book, and then the rape happens on something like page 20.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Thanks, everyone! When I was cleaning today, I found this book on my TBR shelf... I had forgotten I already bought it! :) Will be reading soon.

message 9: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 20 comments I had so much hope for this book, but I didn't like it much at all. I did like the main character's mental struggles- I am always a fan of anything that spices up the narration, such as mental disorders (even though hers ended up being a psychic power, it still counts).
I just... kept waiting for more- for the plot to extend beyond the romance. I love romance in my books, don't get me wrong, but I hate it when books center around the romance, because it isn't realistic. I do read romance novels, but I pick up my UF for something more, and this book did not deliver.
And to comment on the entire rape thing, this girl was a trembling mess (as she should be) after what happened to her, and then the first time David really kisses her, her panties hit the floor? That doesn't seem likely.

message 10: by Melissa (last edited Mar 09, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Melissa I knew the rape scene was going to happen because I read a book description somewhere before buying the book that came right out with that fact. I was disappointed that everything Miranda was feeling and going through leading up to the rape wasn't explained very well until later. I guess I didn't understand how "sick" she was Before. I was a little frustrated with the first part of the book.

In response to Jessie's comment about David's kisses...I think the author kept making a point about how David's shield and the fact he wasn't human made him less scary to Miranda for the exact purpose of helping the reader understand how she could be with him after what she had gone through. That's my take anyways. It definitely had a lot of romance and destined soul mate in the plot and that surprised me.

I'm with Jessie on the romance/UF thing. I shouldn't have looked at the label on the book because I really didn't expect the whole destined soul mate thing to be 90% of the story.

Overall I really liked the book though. I like the world and the characters. Once I got used to the narrative changes, I didn't mind the writitng style. I will definitely read the next one due out later this year and I might check out her other books.

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Mar 13, 2011 05:01PM) (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) | 63 comments that scene was a total surprise to me too - i likewise kept expecting the "dark energy" she'd sensed earlier in the night to swoop in at the nick of time. the fact that she's unresisting to the whole thing happening, and just lays on the ground wishing for death maybe makes it even more brutal than her later fighting back does.

which is to say, Teresa, yeah, it's described as happening in real-time, not a brief flashback or one liner of "i was raped a few weeks ago". it was enough that had i known about it, i may have skipped out of this book (sexual violence is one genre trope i really wish everyone would ditch!), and other than that brutal beginning, i liked the book.

Galla wrote: "The training. I like the fact that Miranda really has to work to develop her abilities--she's not one of those heroines who just magically downloads new, badass powers every time she needs them." YES! this was one of the things i liked best about this book, that the main character has her own actual story arc. she gets to be more than the damsel in distress that some overbearing alpha male has to rescue. she gets to make her own conscious choices to drag her life out of the gutter and make herself something better, whether or not he's in her life, and she has to work to get there.

for those of you that wanted even more PNR, the author posted a "deleted scene" that takes place right after the final battle:
http://diannesylvan.com/the_space_bet...

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe (Zedboy83) | 3 comments While this book doesn't really tread any new ground or revolutionize a very popular genre, I think it may one of the most well written UF books I've ever read.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I wasn't expecting the rape scene either, but I think that makes it even more powerful. Like you said, no one swoops in to save her, she has to save herself. And although you wish she'd thought to use her 'powers' earlier, I don't think it's unrealistic for people to freeze.

About her panties hitting the floor... that was actually one of the things I liked about this book. There was about 8 months between her rape and them actually having sex. I've read a few other UF where the girl gets raped and ends up having sex like the next week. Although in those books they cover it and give good reasons, I think Mira's response to men is much more realistic.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

well just to be brutally dissective, I always think rape scenes feel like the author got a little lazy. They're great for before/after character development (especially in PNR books), but it's kind of a cheap and easy way to manipulate the reader. I didn't actually need the rape scene in this book, IYKWIM. Things start out badly for Miranda, you get that she's wretched and has hit rock bottom. The rape scene gave me sympathy fatigue, which I didn't want to feel for her. And then you get that 'brutalise a character to convince you of their worth' feeling, which gives me the heebies.

But I thought the way she dealt with Miranda's transformation later was a redeemer. I loved that Miranda didn't go running to David and toughed it out alone. And that David mourned her, and then got up and went back to work. It felt appropriate, given that most of the book is written to convince you of Miranda's inner toughie, and David's devotion to his duty.

Whyyyyy do we have to wait so loooong for the next one. Bah.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra You have a good point Moss, there were some really good emotional/psychological challenges for her in the beginning that were really interesting, and the story could have progressed pretty much along the same track without the rape. (And I guess it was supposed be cute and full circle, but I found that last little chapter at the end was cheesy.)

And I agree that I liked how although Miranda had a rough change and although David was devastated, they both toughed it out and did what they had to do. Even when he left her for 6 months she said "I can live without you," even though she didn't want to she knew that she'd survive. Although it was a romance the character didn't lose themselves and their sense of self.

message 16: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments Just finished this one and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, I give it 4 stars. I thought this book was really well written and a very good first book in the series. I really like Miranda and David, and how they dealt with each other. As other people mentioned, I really liked how Miranda went on with her life while she was waiting for David. She became strong on her own, without him, and I think that was a very important part of who she really is. I'm definitely curious about the next book, I think this one set up a very interesting world with some great characters.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 41 comments Better late than never...

As I mentioned in this post over at SOS, I'm glad I took a chance with this book.

It was the characters that drew me in. Miranda. David. Faith. Sophie.

I really liked Miranda for the same reasons mentioned by others here. I found myself nodding as I read many of the above entries.

I will definitely be reading the second book. I would really like to know more about their world, get more background on David -- there were some intrigue hints drop.