The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > The Mentalist /Pretty Little Liars

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cc (new)

Cc C Does anyone watch the Mentalist (CBS) or Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)? If so, who do you think Red John is (Mentalist) and or A is (PLL)?

message 2: by Tracy (last edited Mar 06, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Tracy | 32 comments OMGosh! I love PLL!! I read 5 of the books (there are 8, I think). I DVR the show so I don't miss any. The books are a little different than the show so I have no clue who "A" is in the show (or in the books for that matter). If I was to guess right now, I think it is Jenna.

Cc, who do you think it is?

message 3: by Abha (new)

Abha I love The Mentalist! I like Red John type serial killer. But it is annoying not knowing who it is at all. Don't see it being anyone on the canvas, but I find it bizarre that he knows everything that's going on.

message 4: by Cc (new)

Cc C @Tracy I have no Idea maybe Spencer's sister. Abha, I think it might be the FBI detective who is dating the red head in the CBI

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 32 comments Cc wrote: "@Tracy I have no Idea maybe Spencer's sister. Abha, I think it might be the FBI detective who is dating the red head in the CBI"

Hmmm. I could see her being "A". I suspect that Jenna isn't really blind.

message 6: by Abha (new)

Abha Cc wrote: "@Tracy I have no Idea maybe Spencer's sister. Abha, I think it might be the FBI detective who is dating the red head in the CBI"

Really?? Didn't feel the creeper vibe coming off of him, but it would make sense to get Van Pelt and Rigsby back together. I'll be keeping an eye on him now.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Sorry, but I have to put a comment in these unused topics as far as I can figure out to remove them from my unread topics listing on my app. Have managed to delete them on the website but they are still unread from the app point of view. Sorry for being such a pain but no other help forthcoming in terms of getting rid of them. Katherine

Of u think the topic is valid again please comment.

message 8: by Simone (new)

Simone Francois (simonefrncs) | 16 comments I think A on Pretty Little Liars is either Spencer's sister Melissa of maybe CeCe because I do not think her and Ali's friendship was a close as she made it seem.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments When I watch The Mentalist, I find myself a little mesmerized.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I like The Mentalist. I only hope that when they get ready to cancel the series, the writers have enough time to finish up the Red John storyline. There is nothing worse than a show getting cancelled with an ongoing storyline and they leave everybody watching the series hanging.

message 11: by James (new)

James (lordgil) I think the Red John plot is overdue being resolved. It's beginning to get a little tedious. I'd like to see them move on past it.

message 12: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Dowling (beedeed) | 82 comments I watch the Mentalist but I have never thought of who Red John is. I fiqure the writers do not know.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you, James, it needs to be finished. I think they are waiting for the end of the series, though, because it's sort of the backbone for them. I want Red John to be somebody that we know, not a new character. We do know that it is somebody that Jane has met already . . . so maybe.

message 14: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2312 comments I agree. It's time they wrap up the Red John story line. It has become tedious.
And, yes, Kathryn, it is sort of the backbone of the series but they can resolve it in a way that allows Patrick Jane to continue to assist the CBI.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Dave. It's a good show even when they aren't looking for Red John. I do keep thinking back to other series that have finished up a storyline, though, and it isn't the same anymore. For example, the show Profiler that was on several years ago. Their backbone was the serial killer Jack of All Trades and when that finished up, the show wasn't the same. Plus, one of the main characters left so that didn't help.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara Rosett | 3 comments I really enjoy watching The Mentalist, but I'm getting tired of the Red John subplot, too. I find it a bit unbelievable that Red John is so powerful and able to to almost anything...have anyone under his control. I realize that show is a nod to Sherlock Holmes and Red John is the parallel to Moriarty. Anyway, FWIW, I think Red John might be the crime scene tech that Jane called a ghoul in the first episode. The same character was back again recently.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "I really enjoy watching The Mentalist, but I'm getting tired of the Red John subplot, too. I find it a bit unbelievable that Red John is so powerful and able to to almost anything...have anyone und..."

Hmm . . . I'll have to keep my eyes peeled . . .

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara Rosett | 3 comments Just figuring it has to be someone who was there from the beginning...that would only be playing fair, right? :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I'm hoping. I don't want it to be somebody that we haven't seen and don't have a chance of guessing.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara Rosett | 3 comments That would be so frustrating!

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) Dave wrote: "I agree. It's time they wrap up the Red John story line. It has become tedious.
And, yes, Kathryn, it is sort of the backbone of the series but they can resolve it in a way that allows Patrick Ja..."

I wish there was an 'agree' button on Goodreads. I am so tired of the Red John storyline - enuf already. I stopped watching for a while but watched last night and find I like it more when Patrick Jane isn't playing at being "cute".

message 22: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Dowling (beedeed) | 82 comments I find most continuing sub-plots in crime dramas annoying. It detracts from the cohesion of the night's mystery when the Red John sub plot intrudes. It also shortens the main plot. Unfortunately Red John is so central to Jane's back story of the murder of his wife and child. The Mentalist is essentially a comedy drama but Red John belongs more in the horror/ supernatural genre. The writers have painted themselves in a corner and they probably feel The Mentalist may not survive without the Red John story line.

message 23: by Terry (new)

Terry Ambrose Agreed, Bernie, about painted into a a corner. What the writers need now is a lifeline!

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments I like The Mentalist, but the Red John plot has been carried on for way, way, too long - what is it series 4 and they have dragged it out this far? It is getting pretty boring and I'm no longer that interested in the series. i.e. if there is nothing else on, I watch it

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I just watched the Red John reveal episode of The Mentalist. I was very disappointed at who it was, so much so that I don't believe it. He was too plain and regular and I picture Red John being at least a little eccentric. Plus, the woman who was at the cemetery at the end of the show was trying to walk away unnoticed. I think the real Red John had this set up and will actually be revealed on the season/series finale in May. Since next week's episode skips ahead two years in time, and from what I've read, Van Pelt and Rigsby will no longer be on the show, it's going to be weird. Guess we'll have to see. I believe the show can easily go on without the whole Red John storyline, but my husband and I feel that Sunday's show was a big disappointment after having watched the show faithfully from the beginning.