TV We've Just Watched discussion

General > Official Suggestions Thread

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:19PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Sorry to do this to you all but I had to close the last Suggestions Topic due to the fact that both Holli and I cannot access any messages past #25.

If you make a suggestion, we'll never know about it and cannot help nor respond.

I will ask those who posted after message #25 to please repost any suggestions here. I will delete the closed Suggestion topic in a few days.

Once again, I apologize for the duplicate thread and promise that it is only temporary.

Thank You

message 2: by Joy H. (last edited Mar 04, 2011 03:09PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Jackie, do you think the problem might have been caused because we were playing too much with the "spoiler" coding? I know that sounds far-fetched, but who knows?

Anyway, I do want to tell you that Roxy did post a suggestion in Message #37 of the original Suggestions topic.
Roxy said:
=======================================================
"SUGGESTION; how about an Introduce Yourself thread? Or do we already have one? I just thought of it so I haven't looked."
(suggested by Roxy 3/3/11) ("20 hours, 42 min ago")
=====================================================

message 3: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments SUGGESTION:
Perhaps there should be a general topic named something like:

"Having trouble finding a topic about your show in this group?"
OR
"Need help finding a topic about your show in this group?"

Using the group search application isn't that easy. Sometimes there are so many hits that it takes time to search through them. They are confusing.

For example, see for yourself by searching for "Blue Bloods".

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments That's a nice idea Roxy thought of. Feel free to start it in a General folder.

I don't think it's the coding but I do find it odd that both moderators cannot access the message. I sent GR a message and a screenshot of what it looks like. They can take it from there. I just hope it doesn't happen on other threads.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Mar 04, 2011 03:50PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Joy, do you have a solution to the search problem? I don't. If you have a solution, feel free to post it in a Before You Post a New Topic, here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

I don't think a new topic is warranted for that by itself. If there's a solution, it should be posted in Before You Post a New Topic.

We don't want multiple threads concerning the similar subjects, it's just as messy as duplicate topics. We like it simple and clean. We don't need a new topic for every thought, similar existing topics are workable.

The search box is the only way I know and while it usually lists every instance the searched item is mentioned, it's either that or scroll through the topic, it's up to each member to choose how they want to search. I personally find the search box easy, useful and time-effective.

message 6: by Joy H. (last edited Mar 04, 2011 04:15PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Jackie, the GR search application isn't a problem for me. I have no trouble with it. But I can see how it might be confusing to someone not accustomed to it, especially if the search comes up with a lot of hits as it does with a "Blue Bloods" search. "Blue Bloods" appears in a lot of messages, but there is no one topic about "Blue Bloods". (Someone mentioned "Blue Bloods" in the TV Talk topic. That's when I tried a search for it.)

I'm just saying that there should be some help for someone looking for a specific topic... somewhere they can ask a question about it. I suppose they can ask the question in the "Questions for the Group" folder.

As for Roxy's suggestion, perhaps she'll follow up on it, as you advised.

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Mar 04, 2011 04:15PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Since we jump from topic to topic on individual threads, I do see how it can be confusing to some, as a specific topic will have plenty of threads where they are mentioned and shown in the search results.

We have an entire folder dedicated to "Questions for the Group". If a person needs to ask a question, it should go there.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli There IS a topic for Blue Bloods in the Drama folder:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli I want to say that most of the folders in the group are very easy to scroll through now. I don't think that any of the folders have more than two pages to them anymore after I cleaned them up last weekend.

When a new person joins they can either use the search box to locate their show or click on the folder their show belongs in and scroll down from there.

message 10: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Holli wrote: "There IS a topic for Blue Bloods in the Drama folder:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4..."

Thanks, Holli. I saw in the Talk Topic that Jackie said she found it too. But she wasn't able to find it via the search application. She had to scroll through the Drama section. I wouldn't have known it was a drama because I don't know anything about the show.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Jackie wrote: "Sorry to do this to you all but I had to close the last Suggestions Topic due to the fact that both Holli and I cannot access any messages past #25."

I had that same problem. I don't know if it was message 25 but when I scrolled down to the bottom of the page I didn't have a comment box.

message 12: by Jackie (last edited Mar 04, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments In the same thread? How odd. Yet others were able to post in the topic because I kept getting email alerts for them. I finally had to go to my notifications to get them to stop.

Well, this is our Official Suggestion thread. I'll change the title to reflect that development.

Thank you so much, Michael, for letting us know it's happening to you too.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Yes, the same thread. I was also getting emails saying that someone had posted and when I clicked the link I just got that incomplete page with no area for a comment. I thought maybe I was a little goofy because I figured the thread was closed which is why there was no space for comments, and I knew I had deleted the earlier email, so I couldn't figure out why I kept coming back to the thread.

message 14: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Joy - thanks for posting my suggestion!

message 15: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments You're welcome, Roxy. Good to see you. I knew you'd get back here sooner or later. (lol)

message 16: by Jackie (last edited Mar 06, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Michael, you got the same thing Holli and I got. It's what led to the closing of the topic. I'm still waiting for GR to respond to me about it, not that it matters anymore.
I'm just hoping it doesn't happen to other threads...but if it does, please report it to us.

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie Maybe we could have a thread for cartoons? Also you might want to make it to where all discussion threads show. You can do that under the moderator feature.

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli Sure Angie! You can start a thread for cartoons anywhere you like... I think some of them are in the Comedy folder.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie Oh OK.... I will put some in there then! ! Thanks! I watch some!

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Holli and Jackie you are both doing a great job with this group! I hope you know how much we all appreciate you! xo

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Thank you, Courtney, that was very nice of you to say. It's nice to be appreciated.

message 22: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 172 comments Jackie wrote: "Thank you, Courtney, that was very nice of you to say. It's nice to be appreciated."

I appreciate you too, Jackie! :)

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments You are most welcome. I just realized I hadn't thanked you two since you took the group on as moderators. xo

message 24: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks Court!! We appreciate it :)

message 25: by Jackie (last edited Sep 12, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments We sure do. Thank you too, Joy.
It's Holli who does 99% of the work, let give her a big round of applause! (clap clap clap whistle clap clap)

message 26: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments APPLAUSE APPLAUSE!! XO

message 27: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh thanks you two!!

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie Boyer (katieelaineboyer) | 3 comments Hello, I just came upon this group and am excited to see such great discussions!

I saw some old Boardwalk Empire discussion in the group and was wondering how many people here still watch it?

I created my own Boardwalk Empire group and would love to have you all join in on the conversation.

Any suggestions are welcome too. Thanks!

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Welcome Katie.
I don't watch it. Ask on the BE thread, I'm sure someone will answer.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie Boyer (katieelaineboyer) | 3 comments Jackie wrote: "Welcome Katie.
I don't watch it. Ask on the BE thread, I'm sure someone will answer."

Thanks Jackie, I must have missed the thread on my first look but I found it now.

Great group!

message 31: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Suggestion ... Thanks to Jackie and Holli for keeping us up-to-date on our shows. Jackie, especially, I am dying to know how you can keep up with so much. You must spend all of your time in the group, watching the shows or reading info about the shows. Everyone clap for our hard workers!

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated.
I don't work too much, only now and then, so I'm home a lot and watch too much TV and spend too much time on the computer, lol

message 33: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments [clapping] Jackie and Holli cannot be thanked enough!

message 34: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments question: do we have a Person of Interest thread? I csnnot find one but thought I saw one at one point.

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I did a search, it comes up in conversations in other threads but not on it's own. I also looked in Drama and there's nothing there for it. I wouldn't have deleted it. Feel free to start a thread in the appropriate section.

message 36: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments thanks Jackie. I only half eatch the show. my hubby is into it and if I happen to find him watching it I'll watch and he will bring me up to speed but I don't go back. I was just looking around for some dirt.