Cozy Mysteries discussion

Book and Series discussions > Characters favorite books/authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ceodraiocht) | 17 comments One thing I always mean to do is note when an author helps define a character (generally the hero/heroine) by mentioning their favortite reads. Yet it seems like it's always when I'm all cuddled up with the book with no pen in sight. I know I've seen Dean Koontz do it, ditto Charles de Lint. Will try to find some and add to this thread.

What have you seen from authors you like where they mention other authors within the story of their book?

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (fiberfool) | 38 comments I found a sizeable name drop occurred in Bookmarked For Death (A Booktown Mystery, #2) by Lorna Barrett Bookmarked For Death. If I recall correctly the heroine was listing food mystery authors that her sister could carry in her cooking-centric bookstore next door.

Other than that nothing else comes to mind that I've run across. It is a fun way to get new author recommendations though!

message 3: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19663 comments Mod
Carolyn Hart mentions numerous mystery authors in her Death on Demand series.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ceodraiocht) | 17 comments Kari - I totally agree. I see so many authors adding a "this is what I've been listening to" page. Thinking I might just have to reread a bunch of Odd Thomas books and books by deLint with a notepad handy to capture the authors/books. Seems like everyone here remembers the books but not the authors mentioned. I'll have to do some research ....

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Heather L had it right. In the Death on Demand series by Carolyn Hart, the protag runs a mystery bookstore and they always have a contest with pictures that represent several books. I had to thank Carolyn Hart for her mentioning so many other authors in her books because it clued me in to a lot of other series/authors that I later started reading. (I'm always looking for more!)

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 9 comments Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand books have so many different authors in it and I constantly look them up online on the chance that it is something I would like to read. I like how the newer books start to bring up Janet Evonovich and Harry Potter. lol

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) I too have used the books or authors Carolyn Hart has mentioned. I've looked them up and/or made a list. The list was extremely long for the references in just one book. I did read a handful of them, and enjoyed most of what I had read.

message 8: by Sassy (last edited Apr 03, 2011 10:20AM) (new)

Sassy | 39 comments I enjoyed Drip Dead (Georgiana Neverall, #3) by Christy Evans
and The Proof is in the Pudding (Della Cooks Mystery, #3) by Melinda Wells
Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4) by Jennie Bentley
and the characters in Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4) by Maddy Hunter .
Has anyone else read these books, your comments?
Sassy/heather

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Maggie wrote: "One thing I always mean to do is note when an author helps define a character (generally the hero/heroine) by mentioning their favortite reads. Yet it seems like it's always when I'm all cuddled up..."

I think you've just helped kick off a new habit (possibly addiction) for me-it sounds like such fun-& so helpful-I feel like I have to find an appropriate book immediately - + a pencil, of course - & get to work! :D

message 10: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 97 comments Slightly off topic, but I thought it was brilliant how in the first episode of True Blood a character was reading A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #6) by Charlaine Harris :)

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Flynn (SamanthaFlynn) | 2 comments I enjoyed One, Two ... He is coming for you (Rebekka Franck) by T. P. Boje a lot. has anyone else read it?

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5308 comments Have not read much in cozies and really enjoy Rhy Bowen's Molly Murphy mysteries. Have got number 1 on order. Started in the middle of the series just by chance. Any comments about reading them in order?

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 137 comments I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to reading series in order, and this one was no different. I find that though each mystery is wrapped up in its own book, there is a logical progression of events and character development that carries over from one book to the next. I have really enjoyed this series, though I'd really like to slap the daylights out of Molly's beau.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5308 comments Thanks for your advice. Her boyfriend is kind of a pain!!!!

message 15: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Sassy/Heather - I've read all the books you mentioned. I enjoy the Georgina Neverall series (Christy Evans). Melinda Wells (of the Della Cooks series) is also Linda Palmer who wrote about a series about a writer for a soap opera. I enjoy both series (although the latter one is done for now). The Maddy Hunter series was also great fun - done but not forgotten. And hopefully Jenny Bentley will be doing lots more in the DIY series. They're all "good reads". : )

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin Allen The first time I remember an author mentioning another author was in one of Sue Grafton's books. Kinsey looks forward to reading a Len Deighton book. This sounds like something I could do in my books.

I do something similar with movies. My main character, Poppy Markham, and her ex-ish boyfriend, Jamie, play a movie-naming game where one of them names two actors and the other has to name the movie they starred in. They sometimes talk to each other through the movie names. (Thank goodness for IMDb!)

-R

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (julianka) | 38 comments Alan Bradley's Flavia deLuce mentions a lot of authors and celebrities.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5308 comments Is it true that Dick Francis's earlier books were written by him and not his later books? So is there a big difference in the books? Discussion club has said that since he has passed on that all now is written by his son?

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5308 comments Thanks Kari

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 206 comments One of the recent books I read...newer series. Maybe the sewing circle books...where the main character is a librarian. A stack of books were left for her to reshelve..and one of them was the first book in that very series. I thought that was too funny! I wish I could remember which series it was.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele | 38 comments Does anyone know if Cynthia Baxter is going to continue the series where she had a travel writer involved in murders? There were only two in the series, one was Murder Packs A Suitcase. I loved those books! Would love to see more of them! Thanks!

message 22: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I just recently read those two. I really enjoyed them and hope there are more eventually too.

message 23: by Karen M (last edited Jun 07, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

Karen M | 1357 comments Wasn't sure where to place this but Lilian Jackson Braun passed away Saturday. She was 97. She died of natural causes.

I apologize if this was the wrong place to post this information.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele | 38 comments Alicia, I am so glad someone else enjoyed them too. I had a hard time finding anyone else who had the series, and I thought it was fun and had interesting travel notes.

Karen,

I am sorry to hear that, she was a wonderful author.

message 25: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 232 comments other Karen, thanks for posting it. I think she gave so much to cozy reading.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 368 comments I recently found the following blog..
http://www.killercharacters.com/
This blog features characters from different cozies..
and different authors..
each post is different.. =)
todays post is written from a character from the Lorraine Bartlett's Victoria Square Mysteries.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments Michele wrote: "Does anyone know if Cynthia Baxter is going to continue the series where she had a travel writer involved in murders? There were only two in the series, one was Murder Packs A Suitcase. I loved tho..."

I wrote to the author a few months ago and she told me the series was done after only those two books :( She said she was sad because she had a lot of plans for the main character. I love the two books in this series and wish there were 100 more!

message 28: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) oh that really sucks. I hate getting involved with a series and then have it end so abruptly.

message 29: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Rats! I'm with you, Alicia and Kate. I thoroughly enjoyed those books.

message 30: by Leah (new)

Leah Campbell | 5 comments In Lorna Barrett's Booktown Mystery series, the main character own a mystery bookstore called "Haven't Got a Clue", and she often mentions books and authors that her customers are looking for.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen Kristi wrote: "I found a sizeable name drop occurred in Bookmarked For Death (A Booktown Mystery, #2) by Lorna Barrett Bookmarked For Death. If I recall correctly the heroine was listing food mystery authors that her si..."
I read that and do not remember reading that part. I would not make a good sleuth at all.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Kari wrote: "The rumor is that his wife wrote most of the books. After she died his son wrote with him. After he died the son is writing them.

I posted more under the Dick Francis featured author thread."

That is interesting. If I was the wife I would want my name on there. weird. I need to read your other posts. really found I like His? books.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Samantha wrote: "I enjoyed One, Two ... He is coming for you (Rebekka Franck) by T.P. Boje a lot. has anyone else read it?"
That book sounds good. Great reviews on it. It does not appear to be a cozy, If it has minimal bad language and or sex stuff I think I would really love it.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Ellie wrote: "Maggie wrote: "One thing I always mean to do is note when an author helps define a character (generally the hero/heroine) by mentioning their favortite reads. Yet it seems like it's always when I'm..."
amen.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I really love Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen Murder Mysteries and Tasha Alexanders Lady Emily series.

My husband just got me The Highly Effective Detective from the library but I haven't started it yet. Looks funny though! : )

Traci

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 137 comments Traci wrote: "I really love Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen Murder Mysteries and Tasha Alexanders Lady Emily series.

My husband just got me The Highly Effective Detective from the library but I haven't started ..."

Traci, those are two of my favorite series, along with Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

: )You've got great taste! I'll have to check out Lady Julia Grey. Maybe she can fit somewhere in my Sherlock Holmes Challenge...

Blessings,

Traci

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura DiSilverio | 18 comments Karen wrote: "Kari wrote: "The rumor is that his wife wrote most of the books. After she died his son wrote with him. After he died the son is writing them.

I posted more under the Dick Francis featured author ..."

I've long understood that to be the case. I loved his early novels, but the quality dropped off drastically about ten years ago. I was so sad!

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura DiSilverio | 18 comments Robin wrote: "The first time I remember an author mentioning another author was in one of Sue Grafton's books. Kinsey looks forward to reading a Len Deighton book. This sounds like something I could do in my boo..."
I'm late coming to this discussion, but Carolyn Hart makes a point of mentioning at least five mystery authors in her Death on Demand series by running a contest at the fictional bookstore requiring folks to identify the scenes from mysteries.

message 40: by Dian (new)

Dian Macnichol | 28 comments I too am late coming to this discussion but i pretty much stopped reading Death on Demand series due to the overwhelming (IMHO) mentioning of books. I looked them up and found that many of them were books that were no longer published or unavaiable. I found it took away from the story and mystery. If a book is mentioned as being on her bookstore shelves for sale somehow I think I should also have little trouble getting it unless it is clearly stated that the book is rare.

message 41: by Annie (new)

Annie Flanders | 14 comments This probably had to do with the fact HE was the more famous person. The same thing happened to Randall Garrett when he died. It was discovered that his wife, Vicki Hedron, had actually written the Gandalara books and sales dropped off drastically when that happened. Personally, I like Vicki Hedron's writing style. Karen wrote: "Kari wrote: "The rumor is that his wife wrote most of the books. After she died his son wrote with him. After he died the son is writing them.

I posted more under the Dick Francis featured author ..."

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Valentine Right now I'm hooked on Cara Black's Aimee Leduc mysteries. All of them are set in Paris and, in addition to being very interesting mysteries, she makes you feel like you really know Paris. I love the way she describes her characters.

message 43: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi Mumm | 21 comments MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin books are always a favourite. I love that she's not the typical goody-two shoes sleuth. That's what drove me crazy about Nancy Drew when I was young. She was too good and sensible.

message 44: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Bobbi wrote: "I love that she's not the typical goody-two shoes sleuth. That's what drove me crazy about Nancy Drew when I was young. She was too good and sensible..."

That's why I always prefered Trixie Belden and friends over Nancy Drew. ;)

message 45: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi Mumm | 21 comments Heather L wrote: "Bobbi wrote: "I love that she's not the typical goody-two shoes sleuth. That's what drove me crazy about Nancy Drew when I was young. She was too good and sensible..."

That's why I always prefer..."

Oh, me too! I just reread several Trixie Beldon books this past year (my daughter is eleven). They are still great and somehow managed to give me that same thrill of excitement that they did when I was a girl.

message 46: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Yay, another Trixie fan. A bunch of us did a "Buddy Read" (there's a section further down the group home page) of the first three books in the series a year or two ago. It was a lot of fun rereading and discussing them with others here.

message 47: by M. (new)

M. Locke (mlouisalocke) The author I notice this with is Dana Stabnow's Alaskan Kate Shugat mysteries, and I actually liked the fact that in every book she mentions either what Kate is reading, or hopes to have time to read. This may be because so many of them are books I have read and enjoyed. In fact, the idea that this tough outdoorsy protagonist loved my favorite Georgette Heyer books made her particularly endearing.

M. Louisa
author of Maids of Misfortune and Uneasy Spirits

message 48: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I just checked out another Lois Meade Mystery from my library. I love this series by Ann Purser.
Lois is a cleaning lady turned sleuth in her small village. They are always amusing with a good mystery to boot!
Foul Play at Four (Lois Meade Mystery) by Ann Purser

message 49: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Tracy wrote: "I just checked out another Lois Meade Mystery from my library. I love this series by Ann Purser.
Lois is a cleaning lady turned sleuth in her small village. They are always amusing with a good mys..."

I really like this series, too. I've read as far as Fear on Friday.

message 50: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Donna wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I just checked out another Lois Meade Mystery from my library. I love this series by Ann Purser.
Lois is a cleaning lady turned sleuth in her small village. They are always amusing ..."

Have you ever read the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton?
I really like those too.

« previous 1