Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Off Topic > Hobbies!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (last edited Mar 04, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Other than reading, what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I enjoy knitting, stamping and making cards, scrapbooking, quilting and doing machine embroidery. I also love to cook and try new recipes, preferrably healthier recipes for Weight Watchers. When I get dragged outside, I enjoy camping, snowmobiling, bike riding and kayaking.

I started knitting to keep my hands busy and keep me awake at night while watching TV. When I finally sit down to relax, I tend to fall asleep unless I am eating. But since I am back on Weight Watchers, I needed to find something to do.

message 3: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I enjoy being on the computer and writing.

message 4: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments My other hobbies include:

Running (I just ran my first 1/2 marathon in December and would like to run a full marathon)
Yoga (I do this twice a week)
Cycling/Spinning (I do this twice a week too)

&

My fish tank! I absolutely love my 20 gallon fish tank. :) I have a freshwater, tropical aquarium which is home to Platys, Cory Cats, Upside-down Catfish, Glass Catfish, Rummy-nose Tetras, Guppies, African Dwarf Frogs and snails! :) I love to watch my aquarium at night when I am in bed reading. My fish are super active and so playful. :)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I read, a LOT. I love to write, but I seldom find time for it anymore. I'm planning on getting back into writing this summer when I'll have 3+ months off university. I recently took up knitting, like Diane, and I'm currently knitting lots of squares to make into a blanket. Like Diane, it's great for doing while you watch TV - I often feel lazy when I slump in front of the TV (or computer, as I don't have a TV at Uni) but now I feel quite productive. Currently, I love watching Little House on the Prairie :) I also like to dance, and I've been attending Zumba classes this year, although I've been too busy with work lately. I also watch a lot of films with Simon, who has a massive collection - we have incredibly different tastes, which can be amusing!

message 6: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 19 comments I enjoy baking, crocheting, going to flea markets and doing jigsaw puzzles when I have the time. I baby sit my little grandbaby some so don't get to do hobbies as much.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim I love to cross stitch though admittedly I haven't stitched in a couple of years. I also love jigsaw puzzles as well.

message 8: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments My family is huge on puzzles Kim! So I am with you there! It's a Christmas tradition, actually. We always have a huge puzzle out and people take turns working on it throughout Christmas Eve as we catch up, tell stories and just laugh our butts off! :)

message 9: by Kara (new)

Kara Writing, spending time with my family, playing video games and taking pictures
chatting on goodreads :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim wrote: "I love to cross stitch though admittedly I haven't stitched in a couple of years. I also love jigsaw puzzles as well."
Me too! My eyes aren't what they used to be, and cross stitch is probably part of my past. I love jigsaws, my cats are such wonderful helpers!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Playing my piano or violin, writing, cleaning (sometimes!), baking, and letter-writing are some of my favorite pastimes when I don't have my nose in a book.

message 12: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 74 comments I enjoy scrapbooking, card making and writing to penpals. I also spend time catching up with happenings on the computer as my family all live overseas.

message 13: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Sarah wrote: "Playing my piano or violin, writing, cleaning (sometimes!), baking, and letter-writing are some of my favorite pastimes when I don't have my nose in a book."

I have to say, Sarah, there are worse place to have your nose! Like in someone else's business. ;) I much prefer my friends who keep their noses in books and out of gossip! :)

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Hahaha! VERY true. :)

message 15: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 239 comments I am totally addicted to Sudoku puzzles. I always have one laid out on my table waiting to be completed. (I used to crochet afghans, but the arthritis in my hands pretty much ended that.)

message 16: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Oooh Carolyn I love sudoku too! :)

message 17: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I love sudoku too! But I'm an accountant so I think that I am supposed to! LOL! My MIL was shocked when she saw me doing one in pen and not pencil. I don't think she understands how to do them properly. She puts number in the empty squares randomly then checks around it to see if it works. I guess my brain works differently! LOL!

message 18: by Adina (new)

Adina Senft | 26 comments I rescue chickens, so I love spending time with them. They're so much fun, and each has a distinctive personality. I also play piano, Celtic harp, and do collages for each of my books in a story journal. Oh, and baking! I hate cooking, but love to bake.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Adina wrote: "I rescue chickens, so I love spending time with them. They're so much fun, and each has a distinctive personality. I also play piano, Celtic harp, and do collages for each of my books in a story jo..."

Celtic harp is so beautiful!

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10 comments Karen wrote: "Kim wrote: "I love to cross stitch though admittedly I haven't stitched in a couple of years. I also love jigsaw puzzles as well."
Me too! My eyes aren't what they used to be, and cross stitch is..."

I also enjoy cross stitch, jigsaw puzzles and word searches. My eyes aren't what they use to be either. I do many puzzle games on my IPad or Laptop so I can increase there size and pieces will not disappear. LOL.

message 21: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 239 comments Diane U wrote: "I love sudoku too! But I'm an accountant so I think that I am supposed to! LOL! My MIL was shocked when she saw me doing one in pen and not pencil. I don't think she understands how to do them ..."

Diane: It sounds to me like you need puzzles that are more challenging. Have you discovered www.djape.net? The Sunday Washington Post also carries a puzzle from this website. I always try to do it, but I generally have to refer to the answer sheet to finish it.

message 22: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Well it isn't exactly a hobby (yet) but I am going sky diving with my little brother in about 45 minutes. Wish us luck!! It is a beautiful day in southern California for such a crazy activity!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Oh, wow! Have fun! That's a very interesting hobby!

message 24: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments It was so much fun! Happy to report I made it safely! :) Such an adrenaline rush!

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie Hester (amhester) | 3 comments Other than reading, I love to crochet, spend time with family, different types of puzzles and baking. These are only a few things I love to do.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1460 comments Mod
I like to knit -- I never could get the hang of crocheting, watching movies with my friends from church, and playing handbells.

message 27: by Cindi (new)

Cindi I enjoy horseback riding and just about any outdoor activity.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Other than reading these days,I listen to music,watch DVDs with my husband,and play with my toddler. I like to scrapbook too but have neither the extra funds or the time right now,which is also why I haven't done any sewing/quilting in a while either.

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet | 153 comments Besides reading, I am an avid soccer fan, enjoy TV, bible study and family time.

message 30: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (carolynlb) | 26 comments I can't wait for the major league baseball season to start!

message 31: by Krystaleve (new)

Krystaleve | 52 comments I enjoy playing Joy Kingdom on Facebook,Reiki,and Matrix Energetics energy healing, cooking, taking walks, and watching movies and TV shows on Netflix.