Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you even watch the television machine?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I haven't watched it since 2007. I know Kevin doesn't, I think Heidi doesn't. Who else just plain doesn't have one like me?

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb *clicks back button*

message 3: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I have four, but don't watch them except when I have company and we want to see a movie.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori I don't. The TV is constantly blaring here so I may catch glimpses here and there as I clean up after my slobs, but if I sit/lie down on my couch the first thing I do is put in earplugs! I am not currently watching any show.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

::nuzzles::

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i sometimes watch the old box, but i usually just use my laptop to watch shows or films.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I use that machine off and on. I have a mild addiction. Mild. Addiction.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have a handful of shows I enjoy, and more that I watch on netflix or dvd through the box. The box is useful, and more comfortable for staring at than the computer.

message 9: by Phoenix (last edited Mar 04, 2011 10:51AM) (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments We have two tv's, but I mostly avoid them. On rare occasions I'll watch a movie or listen to a music channel.

message 10: by Félix (last edited Mar 04, 2011 10:52AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) but ...? Okay never mind. :)

message 11: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I was having posting issues :)

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hear ya.

message 13: by Barb (new)

Barb BunWat wrote: "DVR. Love. Having control of the television machine and watching things on my schedule makes me happy."

Me too. I love not being a slave to time slots.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am watching television RIGHT NOW. Sportscenter is on.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Love my DVR! I'm not sure how I lived without it. I watched in between books when I just don't feel like picking another one up yet.

I also need to catch up on my Parenthood episodes too, Bun! Enjoy your day off.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I am watching television RIGHT NOW. Sportscenter is on."

What did you think of that Miami collapse against Orlando?

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I thought the post-game post conference was like a wake.

Right now they're talking about Nascar, so I'm not paying attention.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Big fan of the DVR also.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm almost caught up with Castle, too, Jimmy. Beckett is smokin'.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Clearly you all watch television. you're getting tv talk all over my nice, patchouli smelling thread.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I spent years and years without a TV, and then a few more with a fun one that would lose its vertical hold unless you stomped on the floor every few minutes in its vicinity.
Since that time, I have watched in horror as it has taken over the living room.
But there's a lot of good stuff on TV. Mad Men, Sally. I just finished season 3.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Mad Men is one of those love/hate shows. I don't get Mad Men. It's SO slow. But I want to start watching The Wire soon, Pi, in honor of your hometown.

When I'm at the gym I watch up to six televisions at once.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I'm almost caught up with Castle, too, Jimmy. Beckett is smokin'."

She is smokin'!

Do you like the show?

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Mad Men is one of those love/hate shows. I don't get Mad Men. It's SO slow. But I want to start watching The Wire soon, Pi, in honor of your hometown.

When I'm at the gym I watch up to six te..."

I think you'll like the Wire RA.

I'll stop with the TV talk now too.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 04, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes! I like Castle a lot, Jimmy. After tonight, in fact, I'll finish the second season and then I think I've seen every episode. My wife likes it, too.

I take involuntary tv vacations when I'm busy, Buns. And I tend to focus on specific shows and don't channel surf much. So I'll DVR shows for the entire week and then watch them the next week when I have time. On some days off, though, esp. if the kids are in school, I'll mindfully leave all electronic distractions, including the computer, off.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I definitely want to listen to more music instead. There are a few shows I think contribute to my life, and the thing I would like to shake is my love of court shows (Judge Judy et al). Most of my friends are such devotees of so many shows, mainly SF series, and I feel kind of left out when they spend H O U R S talking about them, but nothing they ever say makes me think "hey, maybe I ought to watch that."

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The Wire is excellent. I'm only up to season 4 of that one too. I don't find Mad Men slow, though.

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I love Mad Men. That's the only show I can think of where I want to rewatch episodes and seasons right after I've finished them. What RA calls "slow" I call "dense" - every gesture, every expression, tone of voice, it's just packed with so much. There's always something else to notice, and so many connective ideas. Somebody says something in season one and they'll say something in a later season that connects it. Not necessarily thematically, although that's there too, but just reinforcing the reality of the great characters. I love a great character.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have a tendency to do other stuff while I'm watching TV: surf the web, play a game on my iPod, do a crossword, read a book. The only two shows that I currently watch with full attention are Mad Men and The Wire.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments We have seven TVs in the house and two in storage (belong to my FIL). We've had Dish Network service since the mid '90s, with DVR since they first came out. We also have DirectTV, thanks to FIL.

::joins Barb in the other room::

message 31: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 04, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I'm much more a movie person than a TV person. Maybe that's part of my Mad Men love - it's a show that feels like a movie.
Boy, I wish I had a Snickers bar.

message 32: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i love mad men!

message 33: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Mad Men is amazing.

I don't watch much TV at school, most of the time it's just background noise. I do have to catch my shows though - RuPaul's Drag Race, Top Chef, Parks and Rec - when they air. Other shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers - I like them best when I catch a random rerun in the middle of the night.

At home, I watch a lot of TV.

message 34: by Barb (last edited Mar 04, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Barb I'm not that bad. We only have 2 TV's, one of which is just a small one with a built it DVD for the kids playroom ... not even hooked up to the dish.
We watch some TV in the evenings (first time it's turned on all day), and rarely turn it on during the day on the weekend - unless Mr.Barb wants to play some PS3.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments If his name is Mr. Barb does that make you Barb Barb? If so, you should consider tacking Barb Ra-Ann to your name somehow too.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Great, now that song is stuck in my head.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "i love mad men!"

Mad men can be dangerous, Dutch.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments So can Merry Men.

message 39: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Larry wrote: "janine wrote: "i love mad men!"

Mad men can be dangerous, Dutch."

i'll try to stay out of your way.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm not mad.

message 41: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i love mad men
i love larry
-------------
larry is mad

does that make sense?

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It does to me.

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

Are you talking about Larry David?

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My childhood neighbors/bffe/babysitter called it "the idiot box." Mine was in the attic for over a year. Before that, it was a plant stand for 2 years. It hasn't been plugged into a wall in over 7 years.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
I still have one, but I no longer have cable service, so essentially the TV doesn't work. I can still watch movies on it, of course, which I do rarely. All my TV watching now is on the computer, but I don't do a whole lot of it. Downton Abbey, I watched online. The Bachelor. McLaughlin Group. I'll catch clips from the Daily Show. I do miss some things about TV, though. Occasionally I needed to just sit in front of the TV and have it do its thing, which TV watching online can't replicate. Online you have to search out what you want. TV just presents it to you, as you flip through channels. Sometimes finding your favorite shows online is a hassle. I still haven't been able to find full episodes of this season's America's Next Top Model. You can't watch the hourlong PBS Newshour online. I definitely feel like I'm missing a lot of the visual presentation of news and current events, as they come to me now through Yahoo news headlines, and online newspapers. For some enormous news event, say the events of 9/11, you can't duplicate in some other medium TV's ability to broadcast.

message 46: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "Are you talking about Larry David?"

who?

message 47: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I am only really into three shows right now:

Castle
Justified
The Big Bang Theory

and I'm starting to lose interest in Castle. I'm tired of being teased. Either they get together soon or I stop watching, despite my searing crush on Nathan Fillion.

I really loved Sherlock on BBC but that was a measly three episodes. That won't come back until October.

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments and I'm starting to lose interest in Castle. I'm tired of being teased. Either they get together soon or I stop watching, despite my searing crush on Nathan Fillion.

Yes, this is the death knell of so many shows, I agree...

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "Are you talking about Larry David?"

Nutcracker.

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael RandomAnthony wrote: "Mad Men is one of those love/hate shows. I don't get Mad Men. It's SO slow. But I want to start watching The Wire soon, Pi, in honor of your hometown."

I think The Wire is probably the best drama ever put on television. When are you going to start watching it?

« previous 1