Women's Just for Fun Book Club discussion

READING > Juliet (Anne Fortier)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) Here is a link from Anne Fortier web site.

Check out the VIDEO!!

http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/featu...

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) Any comments about the book? are you enjoying the read?

Let us know what you think about Umberto? Julie? Janice?

Happy reading bookies :) ~ J

message 3: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 7 comments i loved this--totally did not expect to but loved it!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) I know... I felt the same way. Glad you enjoyed the read. I hope the other Bookie's are enjoying.

I really felt like I was in Siena.

message 5: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 7 comments i see flights to siena for 12 pounds going by on the sides of buses and it has got me thinking...

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) 12 pounds... Meet you at the cafe :)

message 7: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 7 comments i know!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) From a interview with Anne Fortier.....

Q: How did you become interested in writing a novel that supposed the famed Romeo and Juliet actually came from Siena, Italy, rather than Verona? What was your starting point for the novel?
A: As soon as I set foot in Siena in March of 2005 I knew I had to set a novel there. Even for a European the place is spellbinding with its medieval architecture and fascinating history. I was there with my mother, and I remember walking around next to her with a notepad, gathering juicy bits and pieces and wondering how to construct a story around the Tolomeis and the Salimbenis--two feuding families that lived in Siena in the late Middle Ages. Then, out of the blue, my mother came across the amazing fact that the first version of Romeo & Juliet was set right there in Siena, and not in Verona. It was published in Italy in 1476 by a writer called Masuccio Salernitano, and although the story went through many hands and underwent a number of changes along the way, this was essentially the story that ended up on Shakespeare's desk more than a century later. As you can imagine, as soon as I learned this marvelous fact, I knew right away I had my story.

message 9: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett | 1 comments Ooh! I could not agree more. Siena is enchantingly beautiful! I loved this book! It must have felt amazing for her to discover this one historical detail and know she would be able to create a novel from it!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) Hey Bookies - ARE you enjoying the BOOK??

Anyone enjoy meeting this character...Maestro Lippi who occupies the studio of Maestro Ambrogio, and, like Ambrogio, he, too, has a dog named Dante.

Is the author trying to suggest that Lippi is some kind of reincarnation of Ambrogio? What is the relationship between these two characters, separated by centuries?

I can picture the studio - paintings all around and wine bottles spinning on the floor. HAHAH - would love to have a cocktail with this painter.

~J
if you are in NY - enjoy this nice weather FINALLY :)

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) Hey Bookies - I sent email below to Anne FORTIER and she repsonded below.

It would be great to send her an email with some of our questions about the book. Anyone interested in a discussion with the Author??

~J

Dear Jennifer,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My one-year old
daughter is recovering from a kidney infection, and we have practically
lived at the hospital these past few weeks.

It is so exciting that you are reading JULIET! And thank you so much for
suggesting it to the group. I know the month of March is getting a little
old, but I would be delighted to participate in your discussion any way I
can. Just let me know what to do.

Kind regards,

Anne

> Dear Ms. Fortier,
>
> It is a pleasure to let you know our book club has chosen, Juliet, as the
> book of the month in March. I would love to post a note from you if you
> would like to add to our discussions.
>
> I already have read the book and enjoyed it so much I made sure it was on
> our BOM poll.
>
> We are a social group on goodreads.com. Woman just for fun - Group
> http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...
>
> I will be posting your book club questions. Thank you for a wonderful
> read. We look forward to the next book.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jennifer

message 12: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 7 comments how wonderful!

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) Hey Bookies - I know we have a meeting set-up for Tuesday on the book JULIET. Maybe after the meeting we can send some feedback to Ann

For those that can't make the meet-up - Are there any discussion topics you would like to post?

~J

message 14: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 7 comments i am in london otherwise i would love to come! i was so interested in the balance of this book. she made both stories so compelling and while the characters pick up threads from each other they all stand alone as fully developed focal points. i loved it!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham-Lozano (jmclozano) @Priya - Thanks for the feedback. I agree and although the first was a tragedy it was nice to have a happy ending for this Romeo & Juliet. Sometime we are just suckers for a good happy ending - especially when reality can be so overwhelming.

Looking forward to reading next months BOM :)

Have a great weekend.
~J