Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Suvudu Cage Match

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Mar 04, 2011 08:53AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Suvudu is having their second cage match. This is where they have fantasy characters in a kind of like a sweet sixteen bracket doing a head a head battle. Here is the link to the bracket and a video response to each of the fight
http://suvudu.com/2011/03/your-2011-c.... I am basically just wondering what people are think of the match up, they were all picked random, but some are a dream come true. Plus go to http://suvudu.com starting on Monday to vote for your favorite characters to win.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I, myself find some of the match ups and interesting.

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Nice. I got a huge kick out of this last year, glad they're doing it again!

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Mar 04, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments One thing I like better this year is that all the god like characters are out of the running.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the heads up, Kevin. Last years was entertaining.

Two things:
You typo'd the title, it says "catch" instead of "cage".
Your first link is giving me a 404.

message 6: by Kevin (last edited Mar 04, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I guess it is too long of a link, so just go to http://suvudu.com, and it should be the first story on their website.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) A catch match does sound kind of fun though.. I would never participate in a cage match, I'd be torn apart. But a catch match? I think I might stand a chance! :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on what you're catching, really... :P

message 9: by Candiss (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Here's the proper URL: http://suvudu.com/tag/cage-match-2011

(I love these literary death match/cage match things.)

Edit to add: Apparently, they are having a few site problems. I'm sure they will remedy them shortly. (The second post at the link above, titled "Cage Match 2011 - It's coming!", has the contenders.

Edit again: The bracketed match-ups are also here: http://suvudu.com/2011/03/your-2011-c...

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I was thinking something would try to catch me. I'm little, I can be quick on my feet and squirmy.. I'd at least have better chances at not being caught than I would at being locked in a cage with someone!

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Candiss wrote: "Here's the proper URL: http://suvudu.com/tag/cage-match-2011

(I love these literary death match/cage match things.)"

I was trying to post the one that they posted yesterday where they had the bracket/match up. Its still good to see who is all in the ring.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@Candiss: Thanks for the link.

@Dawn: That's what nets are for *nod*

on topic: Vin vs Logan? That's just wrong...go bloody nine!

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I think the mouse has no chance in hell of beating Fritz unless a miracle happens.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I can see ways in which the mouse thing could beat Fitz, but stating them would probably be a spoiler so I'll leave it at that.

As for Vin vs Logan... I'm just now starting The Blade Itself, so I haven't gotten to know Logan much yet... But I love Vin, so I'm rooting for her.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I talking maybe about the fan base.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I realize it's based on public voting, but it seems Dawn and I are speaking about actual fights between the characters themselves.

Also Kevin, not to be rude, but is English not your native tongue?

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Ala is correct - I know it's based on voting, but the fun part for me is thinking about what would happen in an actual fight between the two opponents.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I mean look at what happened last year with some of the votes, but the character did win the next round.

message 19: by mark (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:16PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 114 comments Ala wrote: "Also Kevin, not to be rude, but is English not your native tongue?"

also Ala, not to be rude, but in what reality is that NOT a rude question?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Uh. In the beyond reality, maybe?

Or, perhaps, when you actually take the question at face value instead of assuming the worst?

Kev comes off at times as someone who speaks english as a second language. I ask because I'm curious and, if so, would endeavor to I don't know, maybe help the guy here and there?

But no, no. Let's just assume I'm an asshole being rude. That'd be far easier, eh mark?

message 21: by Kevin (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:56PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Ala wrote: "But no, no. Let's just assume I'm an asshole being rude. That'd be far easier, eh mark?"

Don't be hypocrite, Ala by not trying to be rude at me then being rude back at Mark. It does not work both way.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Come now, Kevin. What one gives out, one should expect back.

I asked you a question without any malice, you chose to ignore it, no loss.

Mark takes offense and gets rude himself, I'll give it right back.

It's a give and take. Consisting of giving and then taking. Two way street and all that.

message 23: by Kevin (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Ala, when you keep on asking is English my second language, if you have to write not to be rude then you are rude to me in my opinion.
P.S. English is not my second language as a matter of fact if you and everybody else really are dying to wanted to know. Plus I am not all that great at spelling at all.

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Ala wrote: "on topic: Vin vs Logan? That's just wrong...go bloody nine!"

You have to be realistic about these things. =)

message 25: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Okay folks, let's cool down. This group is for discussion of science fiction and fantasy, not for this type of bickering. Please consider this as a friendly moderator warning that, per our FAQ, flame wars will not be tolerated here. Okay? Okay. Let's move on and get back to talking about the cage match.

message 26: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Kara wrote: "Ala wrote: "on topic: Vin vs Logan? That's just wrong...go bloody nine!"

You have to be realistic about these things. =)"

(win to Vin)

message 27: by mark (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:18PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 114 comments Ala wrote: "..."

oh, spare me the backtracking.

stefan, i will say no more. i also intensely dislike flame wars & personally insulting conversations in general, which is why i spoke up in the first place.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Ala wrote: "Mark takes offense and gets rude himself, I'll give it right back.

It's a give and take. Consisting of giving and then taking. Two way street and all that."

Ala, did you ever hear the old saying that two wrongs don't make a right?

message 29: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Kevin, I politely asked you and everyone else involved to stop. Beyond Reality's rules about flame wars are quite clear. I've never had to enforce them, but I will if I have to. Let's end this right now.

message 30: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Kevin wrote: "Ala, did you ever hear the old saying that two wrongs don't make a right? ""

Let almost sleeping dogs lie, PLEASE.

message 31: by Kara (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:25PM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Brandon Sanderson's thoughts (and visual forecasting) on the cage match are pretty amusing. You can find it from the front page, but here it is as well.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/...

message 32: by Jacen (new)

Jacen | 11 comments Im pretty sure a couple of coins through the head would stop even the bloody nine...

message 33: by Kara (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:37PM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments I don't know why they don't pair up some magic users against each other... and I have to agree with Sanderson, are these popularity contests, or could/should there actually be more to the cage match fight (such as battlefield, available powers, etc.) for all of us geeks who actually want to play it out in our heads.

Vin versus Logan makes a pretty good imaginary fight, but lets put her up against Pug and see how things fly. Now Logan versus Perrin (or I s'pose Druss?? haven't read that one), THAT might be a good one.

message 34: by Kevin (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Kara wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Ala, did you ever hear the old saying that two wrongs don't make a right? ""

Let almost sleeping dogs lie, PLEASE."

You make a good point. I will stop the backtalk, especially when I give Ala the answer to his question already.

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Ta'vern or no, Perrin would lose to the Bloody Nine. Logan would go all ape shit on Perrin's ass as he stood there, stroking his hammer, and whining "I'm not a leader."

Don't underestimate Quick Ben. I could see him going very far in this tourney...

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhm. Welp, that went off the rails.

My bad, Stefan.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) I loved the Cage Match last year, it's how I discoveredThe Name of the Wind and the Temeraire series. I hope some authors will write their own write-ups like last year.

I like both the possible fights as the popularity aspect of it really. The fights are great for characters you already know, but if a character gets far that you don't know, his/hers popularity is an incentive to check the book/series/movie out.

I am a little sad that Fitz seems to be losing atm, but I think Nightshade would totally make the difference if he was included.

I'm also totally convinced Percy Jackson would win of Lestat, but the world disagrees with me apparantly.

message 38: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Chris wrote: "Ta'vern or no, Perrin would lose to the Bloody Nine."

I would agree. People seem to have a hard time putting down the bloody nine using man power.

Jan wrote: "I like both the possible fights as the popularity aspect of it really. The fights are great for characters you already know, but if a character gets far that you don't know, his/hers popularity is an incentive to check the book/series/movie out...."

That's a good point. =)

message 39: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Jan wrote: "I like both the possible fights as the popularity aspect of it really. The fights are great for characters you already know, but if a character gets far that you don't know, his/hers popularity is an incentive to check the book/series/movie out...."

Very true! It was last year's cage match that got me to pick up The Name of the Wind, actually, because the descriptions of Kvothe intrigued me :)

message 40: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 114 comments i just added Assassin's Apprentice to my to-read pile because of the cage match. i've resisted the hobb series for years, not sure why.

message 41: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

It's a great series. Fitz is one of my favorite fantasy heroes. Some of the chapters in that first book are so strong, they could almost work as individual short stories.

message 42: by Mach (last edited Mar 13, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

Mach | 15 comments I like Fitz, i hope he gets far.

message 43: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Fitz is one of the best-written characters in fantasy, IMHO. Love those books.

message 44: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments mark wrote: "i just added Assassin's Apprentice to my to-read pile because of the cage match. i've resisted the hobb series for years, not sure why."

I need to read through that one as well. =)

message 45: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
Another group to which I used to belong had many members who loved the Hobb books. I've bought several based on their recs but have yet to read them. Someday...

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I read Assassin's Apprentice for class, thought it was all right. I like it that Fitz makes mistake and still learns all though out the book trying to prefect his talents.

message 47: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kathi, I LOVE the Assassin's Apprentice, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies. Robin Hobb and Lois McMaster Bujold are two of my favorite fantasy authors for character building. I hope you enjoy her work!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed the first Fitz trilogy. The second not so much. Never got into the Liveship ones though.

At any rate, he's facing a mouse. If he can't win, then what the hell...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

ahaha, I stand corrected. He lost...that's just all kinds of wrong.

message 50: by Mach (new)

Mach | 15 comments Perrin Aybara versus Paul Atreides? i think Paul would win in a fight, but Perrin is more popular so he will probably get more votes.