Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > Suggestions for April

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments All right, lets get some suggestions going for our next month's read. Don't be afraid to suggest a theme, too.

message 2: by KumeKei (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:54AM) (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments I had a tought yesterday that would make a good read but I'm not even sure such a book exists or if it's horror.

I thought that history (expecially military) is writen by the winners.

I'd like to read a story told from the POV of the losers. The ones history calls the "bad guys".

That would be a nice theme. And I'd thank any sugestions on books of that subject.

message 3: by D4ngerousBeans (new)

D4ngerousBeans | 122 comments If your looking for a good war read , look no further than The Forgotten Soldier (Cassell Military Paperbacks) by Guy Sajer by Guy Sajer , it`s an outstanding book , deeply scary , but I doubt its classed as Horror.

message 4: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments My birthday's in April, so naturally I'm gonna suggest a zombie theme :)

message 5: by KumeKei (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments D4ngerousBeans wrote: "If your looking for a good war read , look no further than The Forgotten Soldier (Cassell Military Paperbacks) by Guy Sajer by Guy Sajer , it`s an outstanding book , deeply scary , but I doubt its classed as Horror."

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitly have a look at that.

message 6: by KumeKei (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments Bandit wrote: "My birthday's in April, so naturally I'm gonna suggest a zombie theme :)"

Mine too and I aprove the Zombie theme!!!

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) I just read Jonathan Maberry's young adult zombie book Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry , and really enjoyed it. It's the first in a trilogy.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott The Loving Dead was quite good.

message 9: by KumeKei (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments This isn't zombie zombies but it's close enough.

Hater Hater (Hater, #1) by David Moody

message 10: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments Kumekei wrote: "This isn't zombie zombies but it's close enough.

Hater Hater (Hater, #1) by David Moody"

that looks good or Autumn series by the same author

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Not sure if I'm in the mood for another zombie book. I'm kind of lukewarm about reading one at this time.

message 12: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Maybe we could read one about a non-traditional monster. Something besides the usual vampire, werewolf, etc. Or maybe something Cthullu-inspired?

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Demons?

How to Make Friends with Demons by Graham Joyce

Ghouls?

The throne of bones by Brian McNaughton

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) How about Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston by Preston & Child? It is the first in the Pendergast series, which is great. This is not exactly horror, maybe a supernatural thriller-mystery, but it is definitely not a vamp, werewolf, or zombie book.

Or

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson I just saw this movie and I am picking this book up tomorrow at the library.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Great movie!

Vicious almost turn your head violence

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) Yes, I agree. I didn't have any clue it was going to be that violent.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments That movie was very brutal! I had no idea it was a book. I want to read it now.

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) Yeah, I can't wait to read it.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Relic is a lot of fun, movie and book.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rusty wrote: "Maybe we could read one about a non-traditional monster. Something besides the usual vampire, werewolf, etc. Or maybe something Cthullu-inspired?"

Yes, good idea, Rusty. Let's try a non-traditional monster. I recently read Clickers and really enjoyed it. Something along that line.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Didn't know it was a novel either.

guess we are not as on the pulse as I thought.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments I'm ok with a zombie theme, but I want something nastttty zombie-ish =)

You know I gotta have my blood & guts. hah.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments What is the thought on the Pendergast series?

Relic was very good.

what's the take on the rest of the series?

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) I read #6 in the Pendergast series first when a friend gave it to me. Then I realized it was a series and I have read through #4 and they have all been really great. I have the rest on my TBR shelf.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments Ooh! I also just skimmed across the comment on a Cthulu theme. I'd love that!!! I've never actually read on him/her/it. lol

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Margie wrote: "I read #6 in the Pendergast series first when a friend gave it to me. Then I realized it was a series and I have read through #4 and they have all been really great. I have the rest on my TBR shelf."
Marge what was # 6

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) Oops, I was just looking at the list of books and I read #5 first Brimstone by Douglas Preston . My friend picked it out because she thought the cover looked scary. I have read through #3, which I wanted to skip work to finish.

message 28: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Michael,

Here's a list of the Pendergast series...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/l...

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Thanks Lee i have read them all except for the last two.

Pendergast had gotten too superhuman for me. His powers of deduction and his coat which contained more tools than a person could carry put me off. I did like the New Orleans connection although the authors portrayed people from this area as rich and decadent is misleading. I love the mystique that is given to this city but we are portrated as either dumb Frenchman or voodoo zombies.

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rich and decadent people in New Orleans? Uh, I always got the opposite view on my visits. Michael, my mom's family live in Hammond, LA, and we go to New Orleans at least once a year. Love that city. Do you eat at Mother's often? We ate at Acme a few years ago and I didn't think my shrimp po' boy was that special. Plus, we had to stand in line for forty mins.!

I love the Cthulhu theme idea.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Isn't Mothers special? I have never thought the food at the Acme is that great I really only go for the oysters on the half shell.

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I don't eat oysters, but I'm sure Acme's is great. I guess that's what makes that restaurant special.

Yes, I love Mother's. Wish we had eaten there when we ate at Acme's, but I think we were tired and not in Mother's area.

If I were young and single, I'd probably love to live in N.O.

Oh, and there are two good candy shops there, but I forget the one with the best pralines EVER. Not the one with the mammy sign out front, the other one.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments There is one on Royal that is very unassuming maybe that's it.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments You know we do have a festival called the Decadence Festival not sure Pendergast would really fit into that one.

message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Michael wrote: "There is one on Royal that is very unassuming maybe that's it."

Evan's is the candy shop with the mammy on the sign, Southern Candymakers is the shop I like best. But, ugh, what a boring company name. Can it get any more generic than that?

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments Aw man, I've never been to Mother's but my husband talks about it ALL the time. Should we ever go, I'm definitely going to have to eat there!

message 37: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2954 comments Mod
Some sort of a creature book would be great, a nice literary beast romp.

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Kasia wrote: "Some sort of a creature book would be great, a nice literary beast romp."

Hmm what about Dweller?

message 39: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments I'd love to read Dweller, I've heard so many good things about it.

message 40: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2954 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Some sort of a creature book would be great, a nice literary beast romp."

Hmm what about Dweller?"

Yes that sounds pretty good I agree!

message 41: by Tressa (last edited Mar 05, 2011 07:28PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Dweller is phenomenal. I'd be willing to read it again. Yeah, maybe the topic should be Books About Hairy Things.

message 42: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments As a matter of fact there is not enough horror about hairy things. I'm not sure if Monster by Martinez counts, but there really should be some more Yeti books.

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Bigfoot was popular back in the '70s when I was a kid. I think even a documentary was shown at the theater. I bet we could scare up at least five Hairy Things books to vote on.

message 44: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments I am so down with 'The Killer Inside Me.' I saw the movie at wal-mart but didn't want to get it, because if I can help it I always like to read the original material first, hence the book. So this gets my vote, and being Horror Aficionados, we have every opportunity to read soooo maaaaaany zombie novels, and while I love zombie novels, I'd like to explore the human side of horror for once.

message 45: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments not a fan of the "Pendergast series" that's just me though. Oh, and Dweller looks great as well, so I'd be happy with that one as well, butI'm really hoping for TKIM, oh and Tressa, we should have a scary toys and clowns vote one of these months coming up, I want everyone to experience 'Pilo Family Circus" I'm on of the newer generation who grew up on Puppet Master, and evil toys have always enticed me to no end, no matter how corny it may seem to others, oh and clowns are freaky, hands down.

message 46: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments one*

message 47: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Scary toys and clowns would be some good reads, Bryan. I'd like everyone to experience Pilo, too. Great book.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought The Killer Inside Me was an excellent book. I read it last year, and watched the movie about two months ago. I'd recommend it for sure.

message 49: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments Tressa wrote: "Bigfoot was popular back in the '70s when I was a kid. I think even a documentary was shown at the theater. I bet we could scare up at least five Hairy Things books to vote on."

still should be popular :) I'm looking forward to "hairy monster" suggestions, even if we don't end up reading them, just for my personal collection

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, at the very least you should read Dweller if you haven't already done so. It's great.

« previous 1 3