European Royalty discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
European Royalty Nominations > Apr 15 - May 15: Nominating

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments ***GROUP READ FROM THE PAST***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate one book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is GROUP READ FROM THE PAST. That's right - we are revisiting an oldie but goodie! The choices from past reads (which have not been read within the last year) are:

The Rose of York Love and War by Sandra Worth

Innocent Traitor A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir

Catherine the Great Love Sex and Power by Virginia Rounding

The Lady Elizabeth A Novel by Alison Weir

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman

The Concubine A Novel by Norah Lofts

The Last Queen A Novel of Juana la Loca by C.W. Gortner

Mistress of the Vatican The True Story of Olimpia Maidalchini The Secret Female Pope by Eleanor Herman

The Kitchen Boy A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexander

Katherine by Anya Seton

A Hollow Crown The Story of Emma, Queen of Saxon England by Helen Hollick

Courtesan A Novel by Diane Haeger

The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer

The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd

When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman

Murder of a Medici Princess by Caroline P. Murphy

A Treasury of Royal Scandals The Shocking True Stories History’s Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors by Michael Farquhar

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

The Queen’s Secret by Jean Plaidy

Christina, Queen of Sweden The Restless Life of a European Eccentric by Veronica Buckley

Marie Antoinette The Journey by Antonia Fraser

Princesses The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser

The Greatest Knight The Story of William Marshal by Elizabeth Chadwick

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen

Please try to check Amazon or some other site to make sure the book is still easily available (I know we had no problems finding these books the first time around, but it’s been a while since we read some of them, and unfortunately I don’t have time to check them all - I will double check the nominations though and let you know if a book is now hard to find).

Feel free to nominate one book from the above list in this thread until March 7th, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (around end of March 11th). Discussion can start on APRIL 15th.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) The white queen-- I joined the group after you read this and have been interested in it. So I'll nominate that. The White Queen (Cousins' War, #1) by Philippa Gregory

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments This is difficult - there's three good ones on my to-read list and I'm struggling to decide between them.

Since it's the highest rated of the three, I think I'll go for:
When Christ and His Saints Slept
When Christ and His Saints Slept (Eleanor of Aquitane, #1) by Sharon Kay Penman

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 19 comments The kitchen boy has been on my list a long time so I vote that one to help me pick it up!

message 5: by Jemidar (last edited Mar 07, 2011 02:39AM) (new)

Jemidar I'd like to nominate The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer .

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) There are several on there that I have heard are fantastic that I have not read yet! Whatever you choose will be a great choice for the participants! I must say that Penman's When Christ and His Saints Slept was so fantastic for me that it got me out of the Tudor period and looking for more earlier medieval reads.

message 7: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Nominating is closed! I'll set up a voting poll later tonight!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.