Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Everything > Tired of Romance?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments I know, I know. How is that even possible? Maybe I'm not choosing the right books lately, but I see all my romance books in my TBR pile and I just have no desire to pick them up. I just finished this cute YA book that returned my reading appetite, but I still cant be bothered with romance.
This has happened to me before, so I'm sure my appetite for them will return, but for now I'm not sure what to do. Perhaps I should pick another non romance book.

Does this happen to anyone?

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
Sometimes I think it helps to read in other genres just to cleanse your reading palate. And I think a lot of times books that aren't strictly romance novels can still have a lot of romance in them. I know lots of YA does. And so do some mysteries. You also might try something like Deanna Raybourne's Lady Julia Grey books. They're first person, mystery but there is definitely romance there, too. Plus they're just fabulous books. Hope you can break your spell soon.

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Fantastic idea and I will look for her books. I also started Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to cleanse the palate like you said ;-) Thanks!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1018 comments I received a Nook Color for Christmas. Every Friday, they (Barnes & Noble) offer several books for free to download for a limited time. I've been getting some off-the-wall genres, but hey, the price was right. This has got me out of some temporary Romance slumps this year.

message 5: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I have been mixing it up more. I usually read one or two romances and then something else. I like the variety and it keeps me from getting bored with any one genre.

message 6: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments yep, im currently in one right now for historical romances
its been going on for like 6 months
so i switched and discovered contemporary which i had never tried before
i love susan elizabeth phillips and her humor but i cant find any other contemporaries that are able to catch and keep my attention

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
There are very few contemps that I even will read and none that I like as much as my favorite historicals with the giant exception of Jennifer crusie. If you haven't read her stuff start with Bet Me....

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I'd suggest Julie James too, Melany. I really like her. I'm in the middle of her latest, A LOT LIKE LOVE, and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Sometimes I switch it up a little with Women's Fiction instead of straight romance. Barbara Samuel/Barbara O'Neal and Pamela Morsi have some really great reads out there.

message 9: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
Oh yes, I do enjoy both of those. I would recommend Red's Honky Tonk (that's not quite the right title, but an amazing book) by Morsi, and How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal, to get started.
Funnily enough I find that I tend to prefer historicals to contemps even whenthey are by the same author--although now that I think about it I do also like Lisa Kleypas' contemporaries.

message 10: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Dls wrote: "There are very few contemps that I even will read and none that I like as much as my favorite historicals with the giant exception of Jennifer crusie. If you haven't read her stuff start with Bet M..."

Hmmm I tried reading Bet Me once and got half way but got bored with it easily.

He was falling in love with Min but i didnt see how or why. but all they did was eat chicken marsala together all the time and all of a sudden he was in love with her. was i missing something?

message 11: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Irisheyes wrote: "I'd suggest Julie James too, Melany. I really like her. I'm in the middle of her latest, A LOT LIKE LOVE, and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Sometimes I switch it up a little with Wom..."

Hmmmm im reading her website and her excerpts are really funny
thanks for the recommendation!!! :]]]

what is women's fiction? i should try that since im in a romance slump.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 13 comments One of my favorite books(with just a hint of romance and lots of mystery is The House at Riverton by Kate Morton ...one of the best book IMO! I loved it!

message 13: by Irisheyes (last edited Mar 10, 2011 12:01PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Melany - I'm not really sure how to describe Women's Fiction. Maybe to say that it is more about the woman's journey and all the relationships in her life (mother, daughter, sister, friend, wife, etc.). Those I've read, though, usually have a heavy emphasis on a romantic relationship and an HEA.

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Melany wrote: "yep, im currently in one right now for historical romances
its been going on for like 6 months
so i switched and discovered contemporary which i had never tried before
i love susan elizabeth philli..."

OMG Kristen Higgins is amazing! You can thank me later after you read her books ;-)

message 15: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Irisheyes wrote: "I'd suggest Julie James too, Melany. I really like her. I'm in the middle of her latest, A LOT LIKE LOVE, and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Sometimes I switch it up a little with Wom..."

I just finished "Practice Makes Perfect" by Julie James. It was pretty good! I wish it was longer with more detail on development of the characters' romance but its one of the best books that Ive read in a longggg time. Thanks again for the recommendation Irisheyes!

message 16: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Dls wrote: "Oh yes, I do enjoy both of those. I would recommend Red's Honky Tonk (that's not quite the right title, but an amazing book) by Morsi, and How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal, to get star..."

I tried reading Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas but i couldn't get into it. I guess im not too big of a fan of Lisa Kleypas, her stories always have Alpha Heroes who instantly fall in love with the heroine without her having to do anything. Her stories are always super unrealistic IMO. thanks for the recommendation though!