Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Garden produce recipes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I'm looking for new ways to use my garden produce and would love members to share their favorite ways of using their garden goodies.

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Zuke cookies? zuke choc cake? Zuke bread? or do you have them already?

I will look through my box...

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) The tomato sauce sounds delicious.

message 4: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Neal (kcneal) | 29 comments My husband makes us what I call zucchini boats. Brown some ground beef or turkey, stir in crushed tomatoes. Season with whatever you like - basil, garlic salt, pepper, thyme. Slice zucchini lengthwise and scrape out seeds to make a shallow bowl. Pile in some meat and tomato mixture, top with parmesan and breadcrumbs, and bake until zucchini is tender and breadcrumbs browned. Soooo tasty!

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Kids might be more willing to try that! Stick a sail on it with a toothpick and paper sail! Make them tiny for the tiny kids!

message 6: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Aris wrote: "Miriam, that's exactly what I was thinking...zucchini everything. We eat a lot of zucchini bread… we freeze it, we share it, we toast it...sometime we dread it ;o) My husband makes the best zucchin..."

Ooh, I like both of these ideas. I have heard about the zuc fries, but am not sure how to make them. I will definately have to try the charred tomotoes.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Zucchini breads are some of my favorite to make! With and without canned pumpkin! Kate, that recipe for Zucchini boats sounds so yummy! I'll have to give it a try.

Great thread Cheryl!

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Jo wrote: "Zucchini breads are some of my favorite to make! With and without canned pumpkin! Kate, that recipe for Zucchini boats sounds so yummy! I'll have to give it a try.

Great thread Cheryl!"

Thanks, Jo. I love cooking with fresh produce and am always looking for new things to make.

message 9: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Does anyone have an interesting recipe for winter squash or cabbage? How about green peppers? Have any of you tried making sweet potato fries? I see them on cooking shows, but have never tried them. How about fresh herbs?

message 10: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Neal (kcneal) | 29 comments Miriam wrote: "Kids might be more willing to try that! Stick a sail on it with a toothpick and paper sail! Make them tiny for the tiny kids!"

Next time I'll tell my husband I won't eat it unless it has a sail, hee hee hee!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 34 comments I'm always looking for veggie garden recipes too! I really like the roasted tomato one. For my tomato sauce, I blanche the tomatoes, peel and seed, and add onion, garlic, basil and a little oregeno and pepper. I simmer until thickened. Yum!

message 12: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Mar 07, 2011 04:11PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm so glad you mentioned tomato's Beth! Here are the links to a recipe I posted on my blog in 2009 for Honey Roasted Tomato Brushetta that I'd like to pass along to y'all --> Here's the first part of the recipe: http://digginaround.blogspot.com/2009... and here's the finishing of the recipe: http://digginaround.blogspot.com/2009... (complete with pics to go along with the 'how to'!)

message 13: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Beth wrote: "I'm always looking for veggie garden recipes too! I really like the roasted tomato one. For my tomato sauce, I blanche the tomatoes, peel and seed, and add onion, garlic, basil and a little oregen..."

Sounds very similar to what I do and I agree---YUM!!

message 14: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Jo wrote: "I'm so glad you mentioned tomato's Beth! Here are the links to a recipe I posted on my blog in 2009 for Honey Roasted Tomato Brushetta that I'd like to pass along to y'all --> Here's the first par..."

Thanks, Jo!

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 34 comments That bruschetta looks amazing! Can't wait for fresh garden tomatoes to try out some new recipes!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Beth! I originally had it @ a local Italian place where they have a great garden on site (lots of veggies and herbs) and it tasted so good I had to try to make it myself! Only difference was the bread I put it on, simple & delish!

message 17: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I scanned and posted as photos the following recipes:
Fruit or Veggie Bread
Eggplant Steaks
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Zucchini Coookies
Zucchini Bread
Eggplant and Cheese Salad
Baked Butternut Squash
Fried Cabbage
Vegetable Stew
Hurry Up One Dish Meal
Main Dish Meal
Lucy's Eggplant Casserole
Eggplant Mozzerella
Succotash
Herbed Green Beans
Herbed Peas
Coriander Dipping Sauce (wear gloves when seeding Jalepenos!) (HOT)
Gazpacho
Herb Butter for veggies like Cauliflower
Stir Fry combo suggestion
Scandinavian Sandwich Wheel (like a cold pizza, use crescent rolls for dough)

If anyone has trouble reading my writing or my shorthand directions, please ask!

message 18: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:24AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Wow! Great list Miriam! Making zuke bread is a favorite of mine. Keep meaning to try a gluten free version, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Have you ever added craisins? YUM! I think I'd like to try making zuke muffins this year.

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) Now I'm hungry and I'm doing Atkins and can't have all those delicious veggies.

message 20: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam wrote: "I scanned and posted as photos the following recipes:
Fruit or Veggie Bread
Eggplant Steaks
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Zucchini Coookies
Zucchini Bread
Eggplant and Cheese Salad
Baked Butternut..."

This is great, but I'm not sure how to access this info. Can you give me a heads up?

message 21: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Click on my photo. That gets you to my profile. Then just click on the pictures you want to look at. The last eight are the recipes.

If you click on the icon under your name, it will get you to your profile. This is where you can add photos. Just click on photos, then click add photos. Took me a while to find it too.

message 23: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam wrote: "Click on my photo. That gets you to my profile. Then just click on the pictures you want to look at. The last eight are the recipes.

If you click on the icon under your name, it will get you to..."

THANKS!!

message 24: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam wrote: "Click on my photo. That gets you to my profile. Then just click on the pictures you want to look at. The last eight are the recipes.

If you click on the icon under your name, it will get you to..."

THANKS!!

message 25: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Mar 11, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Just an FYI since I posted this in the Daily Happenings thread, for recipes outside of Garden Produce, (for ex soda bread, quick bbq sauce, corn bread, ribs & roasts, meatball & so on) I've created a Recipe Exchange thread --> http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 26: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments For any of you who have fresh greens on hand right now I made a new recipe this evening that I really enjoyed. I used spinach, but I'm sure any mixture of greens would work. I'll give the directions for making one salad:

Prepare 1 boneless skinless chicken breast in your favorite manner (I sauted mine in olive oil and seasoned with garlic powder, onion flakes, parsley, S & P

Cut up a handful of strawberries and place in a food processer. Add 2T EVOO, 1-2 t honey, 1T chopped shallot and 1 1/2 T balsamic vinegar, S & P
Process until smooth (I did leave mine a little chunky) Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.

Spread the greens on a plate, top with chicken cut into bite sized pieces, add a couple T of salted sunflower seeds, cut up more strawberries and some small chunks of cheese (I used white chedder) and scatter over the top of the chicken and pour on the dressing.

It made a light, fast, easy supper and if you try it let me know what you think. This is a Rachael Rae recipe with my addition of sunflower seeds.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) The only strawberries I can eat are any that are grown like yours Aris - if I buy them in the foodstore etc I have an immediate allergic reaction to them when I try eating them! I've only grown strawberries once, before my raspberries finally began producing.

message 28: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Avis--please let me know what you think of the salad.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've thought about the pesticide aspect but I'm allergic to many things now as an adult that I wasn't as a child and my doctors say you can become allergic (or vice vera) at any time throughout your life. But as long as I don't try eating fresh strawberries, I'm fine!

message 30: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Just made my favorite pesto pasta--

Pesto:

2 cups basil leaves
1/4 cup pine or cashew nuts
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic
salt to taste
extra virgin olive oil

combine all ingredients in food processor except EVOO. Slowly drizzle in the oil as you process until desired consistancy. I like a fairly smooth paste

Favorite recipe for using pesto

2 cups of your favorite short pasta cooked
3/4 pound of browned and drained mild Italian sausage
1 cup of cut up cherry or sundrop tomatoes
1/2 cup cut up black olives

Immediatly after draining pasta and sausage toss above ingredients in a bowl and then stir in the desired amount of pesto. Sprinkle with more Parm cheese if desired.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sounds very yummy! Wish my basil hadn't been taken out by those flash floods (along with my parsley, sunflowers & zinnias!) but there's always the farmer's market.

message 32: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Jo wrote: "Sounds very yummy! Wish my basil hadn't been taken out by those flash floods (along with my parsley, sunflowers & zinnias!) but there's always the farmer's market."

Basil is one of the few things doing well in my garden so I'm trying to take advantage of it.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) This is my first year of no results but 2 flash floods in a week makes it no surprise! I'm just glad it didn't damage more than it did.

message 34: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Jo wrote: "This is my first year of no results but 2 flash floods in a week makes it no surprise! I'm just glad it didn't damage more than it did."

What a bummer, basil and tomatoes are the two things I crave the most fresh from the garden.

message 35: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments This might not be news to most of you but I have discovered tiny zuchinni are delicious in garden salad. No bigger diameter than a quarter, sliced thin. I also used them on a garden pizza sliced about 1/4 in thick--they retain a little crunch which I enjoyed.

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) I planted some lemon grass today. It makes a wonderful tea and there is nothing like it for adding a really oriental flavour to rice and Indonesian dishes. Its not like lemon hardly at all.

message 37: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Cabbage is plentiful in my area this time of year. Here is a recipe from my friend Suz that I love---

1 small head of cabbage shredded for slaw (or a pkg of slaw mix from the grocery store and omit carrot)
1 large carrot shredded
1 pkg of fresh pea pods cut in thirds
1 cup cashews
1 cup Craisens
mix all together with enough poppy seed dressing to moisten--and enjoy!

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) That sounds absolutely delicious. I shall have to try that. I love cabbage.

message 39: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Petra X wrote: "That sounds absolutely delicious. I shall have to try that. I love cabbage."

I'm not a big cold slaw fan, but I love this.

message 40: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I scored a big bag of beautiful green bell peppers at the Farmers' Market last Sat and will be making my mom's recipe for stuffed peppers and here it is--

4 large peppers
1 pkg or box of Uncle Ben's wild and white rice mix
1 can cream of shrimp soup
1 soup can plus 1/4 cup milk
2 cups of frozen shrimp
1 can of mushrooms drained or use fresh if you have them
1 can of water chestnuts finely diced
1/2 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
1/8 tsp sugar
Seasoned salt
pepper

Cut the tops off of the peppers, clean out the insides. Place them upright in a bowl with high sides and microwave for 10 minutes. Drain off any accumulated liquid and allow to cool a bit for easy handling.

Prepare the rice mix by package directions

Thaw the shrimp and pat dry

In a high sided baking bowl mix the rice mix, shrimp, shrimp soup, milk, onion flakes, water chestnuts, sugar, mushrooms and shrimp.

Sink the peppers into this mixture and spoon each pepper about 3/4 full. There should still be plenty of the soup mixture left to surround the peppers in the bowl. Sprinkle a little Seasoned Salt and black pepper over the top to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the top of the soup mixture bubbles.

Not your ordinary stuffed peppers, but a fave with my family.

message 41: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Got this recipe last Sat. at my clinic workers reunion. It was a big hit with everyone so thought I would share--

Corn Dip

2 8 oz pkg softened cream cheese
1 pkg of dry Ranch Dressing
1 can corn
1 can Rotel (original)
1 can chopped chilies
1 can chopped black olives
1 green pepper finely diced

Mix crm cheese and Ranch Dressing together.
Drain the liquid from all the canned items and then mix into crm cheese mixture.

Refridgerate for 1 hour before serving.

This was equally good on either crackers or veggies.

message 42: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Simple Tomato Salad

Individual serving

Cut a dead ripe tomato into bite sized pieces and place on a serving dish
Sprinkle with fresh basil (I like to cut it into slivers)
Cut one thick slice of soft mozzarella cheese and recut into bite size cubes, add to the plate
Add a few sliced black olives
Salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste
drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
drizzle with balsamic glaze

Really good with crusty bread on the side or toast the crusty bread, rub with raw garlic and pile the tomato mix on the top

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) Just like Italian insalata caprese plus the olives which will make it even more delicious.

message 44: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Petra X wrote: "Just like Italian insalata caprese plus the olives which will make it even more delicious."

Didn't know it had a name, stole the idea from a cooking show on TV a few yrs ago and have made it ever since. Thanks for letting me know!

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) My local Italian eatery does this amazing pizza - smoked salmon on white cheese. My friend and I always order it with a caprese salad and split them both.

message 46: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Petra X wrote: "My local Italian eatery does this amazing pizza - smoked salmon on white cheese. My friend and I always order it with a caprese salad and split them both."

Oooh, that pizza sounds good!

message 47: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Cheryl's Fave Pasta/tomato Salad:

1 large fresh garden tomato cut into bite sized peices
1/2 can black olives, drained and chopped
rotini pasta cooked in salted water, drained and chilled
2-3 firmly packed cups spinach stemmed and chopped
Finely grated parmesan cheese
Minced garlic or garlic powder
S & P
Mayo

Make sure all the juice from the tomato goes in the serving bowl.
Adjust amounts of pasta, cheese and seasonings to taste
I use just enough lite Hellman's Mayo to mix with the tomato juice to create a nice creamy sauce.

I like this salad as is, but when my girls make it they add shrimp or crispy crumbled bacon.

message 48: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 419 comments Cheryl,my mouth is watering!

message 49: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 419 comments My family enjoys this recipe for classic table salsa:

3 very ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds), diced small
1/2 cup tomato juice
1 chipotle chile, minced (about 2 Tablespoons)
1 medium red onion, diced,rinsed and drained
1 medium clove garic,minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 cup lime juice from 4 medium limes
Table salt

Mix all ingredients and refrigerated for at least one hour.

message 50: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments peg wrote: "My family enjoys this recipe for classic table salsa:

3 very ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds), diced small
1/2 cup tomato juice
1 chipotle chile, minced (about 2 Tablespoons)
1 medium red onion, dic..."

I'll have to pass this one along to my girls--they are huge salsa fans and always looking for new recipes. Kind of funny as they wouldn't touch tomatoes under any circumstances when they were kids.

« previous 1