The Macabre & Creepy Edgar Allan Poe group discussion

So EW says there's going to be a series about Poe...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I was just reading the February 25th Entertainment Weekly and The Hollywood Insider section says that a new series in which Edgar Allan Poe solves mysteries has been optioned. Its supposed to be very weird and I thought that it sounds like it could be cool if a bit far-fetched considering Poe never did any such think, lol. What do you guys think?

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha While I like Poe, I think it's funny and off-the-wall. I hope it won't be ridiculous.

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner Amanda, I think it definitely has possibilities, though as that article indicated, whether or not they're going to be realized depends a lot on how seriously the writers/producers take it. Setting the series in Boston, though, isn't an encouraging indication of much serious research; Poe was born (but not raised) there, and lived there for a time in the 1820s, but not in the 1840s. During the latter period, he lived mostly in Richmond (with some time in New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore).

There's never been a TV series (that I know of) using this concept, but several book series are based on the idea of famous writers solving mysteries on the side, such as Stephanie Barron's series featuring Jane Austen as an amateur sleuth. There are even one or two writers who've cast Poe in that sort of role.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) That's part of why i'm hesitant to write it off as much as I'm hesitant to go about crowing about the idea. It could be neat but it could also be horribly, horribly bad.

message 6: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Werner, your birthday is August 17, same as mine! We'll have to wish each other a happy birthday on that day.

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner Yes, Aloha, we will! That's a neat coincidence --though I'd guess from your picture that we were born a few years (or decades!) apart. :-)

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
I am a little weirded out by this, cause the main actor playing poe is blonde?? surely they will color his hair,or something? a blonde poe?