Nike Chillemi ~ Murder and a Merry Heart discussion

Is Ted Dekker Weird or What? His Writing That Is.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Nike Chillemi | 211 comments Mod
The first book of his I read was Adam and thought it was pretty good, actually. The real time plotline moves swifty. I found referencing of old newspaper articles boring and tended to skim them. The serial killer's name is Eve. And Dekker poses an interesting question. Is the killer demon possessed or does he have multiple personalities? Or could it be both? When FBI agent Daniel Clark demands his partner bring him to cardiac arrest...to death...so he can recall the killer's face I went...NO WAY. But I didn't know who a particular character was. That was revealed later and things made more sense.

When I read Boneman's Daughters, I was repulsed. I vowed that was the last Dekker book I would purchase. It was waaay to sick for me. Well, duh, terrorists are sick and serial killers are sick.

Then since I was a judge in the 2010 Inspy Awards I was forced to purchase Dekker's The Bride Collector, as his publisher didn't make any attempt to provide them to judges. Well, that comes w/the territory when judging certain literary awards.

But hey, The Bride Collector was a good book. There was a very interesting premise the FBI agent MC considers. Can a schizophrenic be a serial killer? It's two comepletely different profiles. Wow, think about that! So, I was glad I had to read it.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brink (bikerbabs) | 9 comments I've read a few of Dekker's books. Red, white, black, Saint, and a couple others I can't remember. I liked the trilogy okay, with the whole other dimension going on inside the main character's head while he's unconscious, but Saint seemed way too contrived. I actually found it quite boring. I've heard good things about The Bride Collector but haven't picked it up yet. I really don't think Dekker is as scary to read as Dean Koontz or even some of Patricia Cornwell's early Scarpetta novels with serial killers, but you don't have to wade through all the swearing and sex either (at least not the ones I've read). Personally, I don't think they are as "edgy" as he wants people to think. Or maybe I'm just jaded:)

message 3: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

They're kind of edgy for the Christian market, but the Christian market is evolving.

Steven James is writing really "out there" stuff in his Patric Bowers series about serial killers.

More and more Christians who love a seat of the pants psychological drama don't have to read general market books anymore to get what they like to read.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments I read Boneman's Daughters a few weeks ago, and I had the same reaction. I thought it was way too dark, and the ending really bothered me. It was also the first Dekker novel I've read with profanity in it.

I have read a few of his in the past, but I've never been as disappointed as I was by Boneman's Daughters.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brink (bikerbabs) | 9 comments Nike wrote: "They're kind of edgy for the Christian market, but the Christian market is evolving.

Steven James is writing really "out there" stuff in his Patric Bowers series about serial killers.

More ..."

Nike,
I finally got around to reading Steven James "The Pawn" and I am a fan:) I will definitely buy the next book in the series. Thanks for the heads up.
Barbara

message 6: by Teric (new)

Teric Darken (tericdarken) | 7 comments Is he playing with a full Dekk? Gotta love him!

message 7: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I read Boneman's Daughters a few weeks ago, and I had the same reaction. I thought it was way too dark, and the ending really bothered me. It was also the first Dekker novel I've read with profan..."

Elizabeth, I don't recall the profanity in Boneman's Daughters. I found the book's subject matter a lot more disturbing that profanity. So much so that I never wanted to read another Dekker book. I was forced to read one more for a writing contest I judged and I'm glad I did because I liked The Bride Collector better. He's still not my fav Christian thriller writer.

message 8: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Teric wrote: "Is he playing with a full Dekk? Gotta love him!"

Cute Teric. You should talk about playing w/a full deck. LOL

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments Teric wrote: "Is he playing with a full Dekk? Gotta love him!"
LOL

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments I have read several of his that I liked , but not as well as a lot of other books. A couple I could not finish they went on and on and made no sense. I do like that his books are different and make you have to think in a way ( I cannot even think of the term to use-abstract?) to try and figure what he is getting at.he is one of a kind for sure. That I like.

message 11: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Karen wrote: "I have read several of his that I liked , but not as well as a lot of other books. A couple I could not finish they went on and on and made no sense. I do like that his books are different and make..."

Karen, He is one of a kind. I understand what you mean that he's getting at something. There's always a very strong psychological subtheme. He's always pondering something about the human psyche.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments Nike wrote: "Karen wrote: "I have read several of his that I liked , but not as well as a lot of other books. A couple I could not finish they went on and on and made no sense. I do like that his books are diff..."
Exactly Nike.

message 13: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Karen, Someone I like who doesn't go off in tangents is Robert Liparulo. Have you read his Comes A Horseman? He has a scene in there where a demonic force overtakes a human that is spell binding.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments I believe I read one or two of his. I know I really loved whichever I read of his and both if I did more than one. I think someone loaned me the books or books So I would still have them on my shelves and know exactly. They would be a keeper to re read I do know that.
I just purchased "The Knight" since I had seen you mentioned Steven James so I am going to give it a go.
Finally I have transportation from out in boonies to get books and soon will get bank going so I can debit and do Amazon again.(long story.)
At a Christian store- I found when newly exploring around my area-and checked out- I thought of Liparulo, but they had none from him. (small store)They also had no Brandilyn Collins and I love her.

message 15: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

The Knight is one of the best written books, in a literary sense, I've read to date. But, it's grisly. The subject is a serial killer and they're not nice folks. I couldn't figure out who the killer was until the very end.

The two Christian stores near me carry mostly Amish.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments I have tried to read a few of those, butthey do not do much for me. I notice that Walmart and other stores with christian fiction carry those a lot also. I do not really get it.

message 17: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

There's a huge market in Amish.

But then edgy/gritty isn't even offered. So, we don't know how they would do in Christian books stores.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments Nike wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I read Boneman's Daughters a few weeks ago, and I had the same reaction. I thought it was way too dark, and the ending really bothered me. It was also the first Dekker novel I'v..."

I can't actually find the book, so I can't give you page numbers, but I definitely remember profanity in the book. I remember being surprised because this book is sold at Lifeway. There are several one and two star reviews of the book on Amazon that also reference the profanity.

message 19: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Nike wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I read Boneman's Daughters a few weeks ago, and I had the same reaction. I thought it was way too dark, and the ending really bothered me. It was also the first Dek..."

What do you mean by profanity? What type of language?

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments Nike, I really liked the Knight. At least no cussing or sex, though it was maybe more violent than many people could or should handle. I could hardly put it down.

message 21: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) I've only read the Circle books and Immanuel's Veins. It's interesting to hear everyone's opinions though. He IS different.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments Vanetta, (pretty name btw) :)

message 23: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) Thanks ... my name is a blessing and a curse. I love it, of course, b/c it's a combination of my parents' names. It's a curse b/c everyone spells it wrong (I have to laugh) ... even my publishers!

message 24: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Karen wrote: "Nike, I really liked the Knight. At least no cussing or sex, though it was maybe more violent than many people could or should handle. I could hardly put it down."

I also could not put The Knight down, though it was extremely violent. It was waaay past gritty.

message 25: by Nike, Crime Fictionista (new)

Vannetta wrote: "I've only read the Circle books and Immanuel's Veins. It's interesting to hear everyone's opinions though. He IS different."

Indeed Ted Dekker is different. I'm glad this discussion sparked so much interest.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments Vannetta wrote: "Thanks ... my name is a blessing and a curse. I love it, of course, b/c it's a combination of my parents' names. It's a curse b/c everyone spells it wrong (I have to laugh) ... even my publishers!"

Spell it VE probably?

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen | 118 comments Nike wrote: "Karen wrote: "Nike, I really liked the Knight. At least no cussing or sex, though it was maybe more violent than many people could or should handle. I could hardly put it down."

I also could not p..."

Amen on that.