MYTHOS GROUP discussion

Let's Talk Lovecraft

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (last edited Mar 03, 2011 03:03PM) (new)

Charlotte (ponte-vanima) | 10 comments Admittedly I haven't been reading Lovecraft's work for very long -- I read my first Lovecraft story last year: "Shadow Over Innsmouth." Wonderful in so many ways I can't even describe!

My dad is a Lovecraft geek, something of an expert. He ran a website called "The H.P. Lovecraft Library" (not so creative, but you gotta say it's descriptive) for a long time. According to him, he was actually rather well-known online. About 10 or 15 years ago he closed the down because someone told him that the stories were under copyright. (This is an issue I'm not very clear on: Are they actually under copyright? I've seen them online in a bunch of other places. Or was someone just trying to stir up trouble?)

Also, I looked up Lovecraft's genealogy after reading somewhere that he traced his ancestry back to English royalty, which interested me because I can trace my ancestry back to the same roots. I did some research and it turns out that H.P. Lovecraft and my dad are actually 19th cousins, five times removed, through King Edward III. Crazy, right? Needless to say, my dad was PSYCHED!

Anyway, I recently got my boyfriend to start reading Lovecraft (well, he hasn't actually started yet, but I gave him a copy of The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft about a week ago and he said he's going to read it). He was a bit wary though at Lovecraft's, er, xenophobic tendencies. My boyfriend is Hispanic.

Okay, your turn. Say something about Lovecraft! :D

message 2: by Spencer, CTHULHU (new)

Spencer (parfait) | 25 comments Mod
HE IS AMAZING...

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica Tackman I LOVE CTHULU!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by Reese (new)

Reese Copeland (nonfreak) | 33 comments I think Lovecraft was really far advanced for his time. I have often heard that either he, or someone in his family, had a mental illness (Schizophrenia if I remember right) and that some of that (in terms of the audio/visual hallucinations and paranoia) was the inspiration/basis for some of his stories. I've tried to track this down, but have yet to find something conclusive about it, although it would be interesting as I work in the mental health field. Definitly, Lovecraft has some great, original stuff!

message 5: by Spencer, CTHULHU (last edited Mar 04, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Spencer (parfait) | 25 comments Mod
Reese wrote: "I think Lovecraft was really far advanced for his time. I have often heard that either he, or someone in his family, had a mental illness (Schizophrenia if I remember right) and that some of that ..." He was inspired to write horror by Edgar Allan Poe Who isn't as good as Lovecraft in my opinion, but I have read a few of his books, they are good, you aught to try em out