Stephen King Fans discussion

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
This topic is about Song of Susannah
Dark Tower Series > Song of Susannah - Dark Tower book 6

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Here we go. :)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments I LOVE this book!! It goes so much further than most second/third type books go, just to carry the story on...

Each of our characters grows so, so much during the Song... and I have a deep love for what drives Mia.

Elena | 50 comments It was very good for me until the last part, King's diary. That spoiled the book for me. Beside that, it was excellent.

message 4: by Dawn (last edited Mar 04, 2011 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 64 comments That's funny, Elena. I really didn't like this one very much at all (in comparison to the other books in the series), but then I got to (view spoiler) and I loved that part, lol :)

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments This is my least favorite of the series, not sure why. But with that said, I still immensely enjoy it. And I LOVE the title of the chapter "The Persistence of Magic." For some reason that has just been stuck in my head all week. King's way with words.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

I think the reason I don't like this book as much as the others is because King added himself as a character. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think it just shows how much his accident affected him. But, as a CR, it is forgivable in the whole scheme of things. It by no means ruins the story for me, as I know it does for others. I just don't like the idea of Roland and the Ka-tet being fictional characters. That sounds stupid, but I think you understand what I mean.

The connection between Susannah and Mia is sometimes hard to understand, but the relationship is intriguing.

message 6: by Becky (last edited Mar 04, 2011 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jaime, I kind of understand what you mean, but I see it differently. I don't know if you've finished the series yet, but if you haven't, I don't want to give anything away. I will just say that I see that aspect in a different way - not as an invention so much as a doorway.

This isn't my favorite of the series either, but I love it for the way that it starts to bring things together... it kind of reminds me of a drain, in a way. All this time, from the first book up through book 5, we've been filling a tub with all different kinds of liquids, like layers, which represent the stories and characters and adventures and everything, and now it's almost full.

Song of Susannah is like the drain-plug. Once we pull it, everything is going to come out in a big rush of a finale that carries us through the final book as well. Things will come together in unexpected ways as it flows out. I love that.

/fangirl ;)

Steve | 247 comments I guess it is no spoiler to say that king has inserted himself in the story at this point. Many other authors did it before...Vonnegut, Phillip Roth, John Barth...and to some this is just post modern fluffiness.

But I feel King actually does something worthwhile to the storyline in doing so, not to show he is a hip and self aware writer. The thing that makes me pause though is wondering where the reallife King and The Dark Tower King are similar...how much does he really open himself up?

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Thank you, Agrimorfee!! (Surely to god you have a nickname!!!!)

You are saying what I was trying to express while staring at the screen. When King inserts himself into this story, it's necessary. I do think here is where, during all of his writing, he opens his "private" self up most.

Steve | 247 comments This discussion is very likely getting ahead of itself here, which i am partially to blame. Lets pull it back a bit...;)

Spoilerage ahead regarding Susannah's Dogan:

I would compare this magical, mental repository to be an extreme form of self-hypnosis...to find one's "center"; where meditation is kindasorta supposed to take a person, to sort out problems. I notice that King was trying to convey this same sort of concept in Dreamcatcher (in which I thought he did a poor job of conveying, among the other problems I had with the book). But i really like it here.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments ***SPOILERS****

The concept of Susannah's Dogan is a truly well done one and has always impressed me. Throughout time, virtually every culture has had a name or a concept for that place one's mind travels to when it is faced with a complex decision or problem.

From the first, I found the Dogan to be where Susannah could most be herself; the self that is the distillation of Detta, Odetta, Susannah and yes, Mia.

I think that King's use of the Dogan elevates his work to some of the true classics.

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Becky wrote: "Jaime, I kind of understand what you mean, but I see it differently. I don't know if you've finished the series yet, but if you haven't, I don't want to give anything away. I will just say that I s..."

POSSILBE SERIES SPOILERS

I love your drain analogy! This is my third read of the series, and it comes together like magic in the next book. I know that! Which is why I can't pinpoint why this book isn't my favorite, because I could post an argument for each other book in the series as to why it COULD be my favorite (it changes often!) This one, not so much...maybe because the Ka-tet is separated in this novel...not sure why.

That said, I enjoy the connection between the characters even though they are apart from one another. I love seeing Roland in our world, and the shoot out at the General Store is a great scene. Eddie's journey to becoming a gunslinger is complete by now as evident from this scene.

Looking forward to the final discussion of Book 7, should be fun!! I so enjoy the group discussions, because not a single person I know has read this series, let alone multiple times. Thanks for that!

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Did we lose everyone?

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments No, Jaime -- Sometimes It's difficult to talk about this particular book because, for some reason, it means so, so much to me -- and I can't seem to find the words to express that feeling. I think that it comes down to the relationship of Susannah and Mia - complex, yes -- but extremely deep.

message 14: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
I have a hard time discussing this book in particular because after I read Wolves, I did this one and followed with DT7 soon after. It was rolling downhill and I couldn't stop it....

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Chris wrote: "I have a hard time discussing this book in particular because after I read Wolves, I did this one and followed with DT7 soon after. It was rolling downhill and I couldn't stop it...."

I can understand that...I read Wolves and this back to back and am trying to wait til April for DT7, but I pulled it off my bookshelf today and it is sitting on my nightstand. I don't think I will be able to hold out much longer.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Jaime - Take my advice, if you will - don't wait --- I fall on the same hill every single time - I think, if King had his 'druthers, the last three books would have been one volume!

Steve | 247 comments Does anyone have any insight on the mythological or literary allusions towards Mia, as a succubus who only desires maternal feelings?

The song of Susannah is, as it turns out, "A Maid of Constant Sorrow". The narrator wonders if things would have turned out differently had she not met the busker on the sidewalk. I will definitely keep that in mind as I reread the remainder of this, and the next book.

Who should play Mia in the Tv show/movie?

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Agrimorfee - you can't really call Mia a succubus. A succubus exists only for carnal desire.

***SPOILER*****

Other than the scene in the Standing Stones, the "succubus" part of the demon just doesn't exist. And a succubus would be the LAST creature with maternal feelings!

But I do think that "Maid of Constant Sorrow" is their song.

Steve | 247 comments Forgive me my naivete on supernatural beings...so let me re-phrase, does anyone have any insight (literary, mythological) about such a creature as Mia...borne for motherhood?

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments In almost every ancient culture, the image of the Divine Feminine has a maternal goddess: Inannna for Babylon, the Venus of Willendorf, the Virgin Mary for Christianity, Isis for Egypt (although I believe that Bast was also a motherhood figure.) all of the established religion have at least one goddess devoted solely to motherhood.

The Maternal Instinct is the overriding concern of these goddesses.

Steve | 247 comments Bondama pulls through.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments At least I'm not alone - It's rumoured that Neil Gaiman has an encyclopedic knowledge of folklore and arcane knowledge...

Steve | 247 comments First time I read I got shivers when King "pulls back" (Once again showing his cinematic style of writing) and reveals where Pere and Jake decided to hide Black 13. How about you?

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Whoa, you hit the button on the nose, Agrimorfee - shivers indeed!!

Scott | 401 comments I totally agree with that also.

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Agrimorfee wrote: "First time I read I got shivers when King "pulls back" (Once again showing his cinematic style of writing) and reveals where Pere and Jake decided to hide Black 13. How about you?"

Goosebumps....

message 27: by Kathryn (last edited Jul 17, 2012 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I just finished my first read of Song of Susannah two nights ago, and thought I'd read all of the discussion on this particular book.

The revelations and things you learn in this part of the series are really interesting. I just started DT 7, and it will be really neat to see how everything turns out.

I still don't know if I find (view spoiler) It was very well done, though.

Maybe it is just me, but I feel like there is something missing about Susannah's character. I guess I just think there is something about her which doesn't have the edge like Roland, Eddie, and Jake have to me.

message 28: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
I agree with you on Susannah, Kathryn. It's probably why this was my least favorite, with all the focus on her. I like her overall, but didn't much in this book.

Dustin Becky wrote: "Jaime, I kind of understand what you mean, but I see it differently. I don't know if you've finished the series yet, but if you haven't, I don't want to give anything away. I will just say that I s..."

Oh WOW, Becky! I just love your drain analogy! It is spot-on, IMO. Thank you!