Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

The Book Thief > Death's voice

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ Jess (last edited Mar 04, 2011 12:37AM) (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
I was reading some of the negative reviews on Goodreads, and almost all of them mentioned Death: his narration was poorly executed/corny/not good enough.
Personally, I think thats rubbish. The voice of Death made this book what is was.
What did you think of Death's narration?
Did you have any favorite quotes?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Death's voice was one of the best parts of the book. He had a great view on things, and a great tone to his narration, both full of really good, really subtle humor.

It's probably one of few times that I would say "I want to meet Death".

message 3: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments When I started it, I was slightly taken aback. I was like "WOah. THis is DEATH talking." I found it rather creepy and slightly unnerving. But then I got into it and I was like, captivated by how good it was.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments The first time I "met" Death while reading The Book Thief, I was fascinated by his voice. As Rae said, it was almost unnerving how positively human he sounded. But it had me spellbound from page 1, I couldn't get enough of it.

message 5: by ★ Jess (new)

Exactly Taylor. Positively human is a magnificent way to describe it.
Death was amazing.
I loved how Death wasnt evil. Usually Death is portrayed as a grim-reaper type character, with a long black coat, hood, axe, full of evil etc etc.
Death wasnt evil. Death was kind and caring. It had *feelings*.
That is what blew me away and made me love the book.

message 6: by ɐzzıɹʞ (new)

ɐzzıɹʞ The idea of Death narrating a story is very unique and original. I love it! I love everything about this book.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments ɐzzıɹʞɐzzıɹʞ wrote: "I love everything about this book."

I wholeheartedly agree!

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I'm not far into the book, but i love deaths voice, i think it's a good twist on things.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I totally agree, Jess. It's such a good perspective on it.

message 10: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments It would seem like a completely different book if Death wasn't telling it.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments It wouldn't have been anywhere near as good, I think. It was Death's personality that really brought the whole thing to life. It seems like he's just the narrator, and a side character, but in reality, he's the soul of the book.

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Death as the soul of something... Now there's irony. :) But I get what you mean and I agree completely.

message 13: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Seriously. Death MAKES this book.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I just realized what someone who hadn't read this book but was reading this would think. They'd think we're all depressed.

It is ironic. That might be part of what makes it work so well.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments I think that Death narrating gives you the kind of point of view that you never really hear from. And it is anything but corny.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bloomer | 6 comments Personally, I think that Death was the perfect narrator. I loved that he was just doing his job. He didn't always like it but he managed. He found beauty in the 'light' souls of good people and was actually quite emotional about them. I also liked his sense of irony. Let's fact it, if you were Death, you'd need a grim sense of humour or you'd just go crazy. Does make you wonder what critics are expecting of Death though, or who they'd have preferred as narator.

message 17: by Grace (new)

Grace Can't agree more. LOVED the narration. It added to the beautiful language and imagery used in the book. It was new, original and inventive.

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberthenocturnal) I think this book would be robbed of a lot of its power if the narrator wasn't Death. This is such a horrible time in history and death would be very much present even if it wasn't given a personification. I really love how Death talks about distraction being where he takes his vacations - distraction and colors. The only Death character I like more than Zusak's is Terry Pratchett's.

message 19: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Rebecca, you just summed up everything we've said/could say in your one post. Props to you. :)

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Rae*Gnomey* wrote: "Rebecca, you just summed up everything we've said/could say in your one post. Props to you. :)"

I totally agree with that analysis.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bloomer | 6 comments Gee...thanks!

message 22: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments That IS a compliment. :)

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Definitely.

message 24: by ★ Jess (new)

Agreed.
Anyway, Death made some outstanding quotes:
I loved the very last page: 'A few cars drove by, each way. Their drivers were Hitler and Hubermanns, and Maxes, killers, Dillers and Steiners...

...I am Haunted by humans'

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Herrick (annh) | 106 comments A friend recommended the book, "warned" me about Death being the narrator and said it might take getting used to. It did take me about 50 pages to really settle in with that voice, but after that the book was really compelling.

message 26: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I actually thought that Death was the best narrator for this book. It might have been for that reason that I was so interested in the story. It wouldn't have been half as compelling or powerful with Liesel as the narrator or Rudy.

message 27: by Dean (new)

Dean (thishufflepuffreads) ɐzzıɹʞ ɐzzıɹʞ wrote: "The idea of Death narrating a story is very unique and original. I love it! I love everything about this book."

Yes,I agree that's is original,having Death narrate,how many books you've read from Death's point of view?And It's very interesting too.I was really surprised when I caught on that it was him,Death,narrating and I started over again until I realized that I wasn't wrong!
I enjoyed his views,on us humans.